PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Internet Access for Laptops

diddle
04-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Internet/Data plans from wireless companies?

I'm referring to the ones where you use a pcmia card to access the internet.

I'd like to be able to play poker from my laptop when on the road.

Freakin
04-22-2005, 06:40 PM
There have been threads on this in the Internet forum. Most people had great results. Search for "+mobile +internet" or "+verizon +laptop" for the last few months. Don't include the " in teh search terms.

Freakin

Stu Pidasso
04-22-2005, 07:08 PM
I just hooked up with Verizon for high speed cellular internet access($79.99 a month unlimited data transfer). Compared to my cable broad band connection at home it sucks. Its been a while since I used dial up, but I seem to remember my dial up connection also being faster. The plus side is that it is adequate for 4 table internet poker(my primary use). I'm finding it to be a good investment in that regard.

I use my wireless internet connection when I am stationary, and have not had occassion to use it in a moving vehical. I suspect the quality is going to degrade while in motion. Also, sometimes I find it necessary to use an external antenna inorder to get a decent signal. If you are going to get an air card, plan on getting a good external antenna set up(about another $30-$40)

Stu

alfman
04-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Stu--Please forgive my IT ignorance...what type of external antenna are you talking about? I have this card and get poor/sporadic connection from my home. Thanks

alfman
04-23-2005, 12:34 AM
I've had a better connection experience than Stu. I would equate my connection speed to be at least as good as DSL and quite a bit better than any dial-up I've ever had. It is slower than cable.

Stu Pidasso
04-24-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stu--Please forgive my IT ignorance...what type of external antenna are you talking about? I have this card and get poor/sporadic connection from my home. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You need two items. The first is an adapter and the second is an external antenna. The adapter plugs into the side of the card(I have a verizon branded Novatel V720) and the antenna screws on to the adapter. I got my adapter and antenna from radio shack. The antenna was about $30 and the adapter was $10. I'm sure you can find these cheaper, but I needed them right away and this was the only place in town that I could find that had them.

Stu