PDA

View Full Version : Instances of Overcards

SippinSoma
04-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Inspired by the recent discussion (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2198815&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) in the "Becoming a better poker player" (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2197070&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) post, I'm going to try collecting some set plays to help out the microlimiters. Maybe, with enough help, we can get a good collection going to tack on to the FAQ.

How about those tricky overcards? I don't think many set plays exist for overcards. With that said, I'd like to see some hands that handle different issues. Winning with ace-high, playing with backdoor draws and redraws, proper folds, anything. The more streets you make the correct plays on, the better. Just like in the other posts - detailed analysis is what matters most.

aK13
04-22-2005, 07:31 PM
I was recently talking with my friend about this issue. I've been trying different stuff myself. Here's my observation.

Say I have AJo on the blind, I raise since theres 3-4 limpers from mid/late position, then limpers all call. I hit TP/TK when a J falls on the uncoordinated board, I bet, then it ends up HU with guy who has position, who calls. Q falls on the turn, I bet again, he calls. Blank on river, I bet, he folds.

Now, say the flop is uncoordinated but T high, I still bet the flop, and 1 guy calls who has position. Blank falls on turn, I bet, he calls.

Now what do I do on the river? I tried a few hands where I check the river, and typically the guy bets at me, in which case I fold. Now, I think this allows too many cheap shots and is too weak. Clearly check/calling is wrong, since if you plan to call 1 bet, you might as well bet out yourself so you have some fold equity, and of course you fold to a raise. I think that if we bet out on the river when we miss our overs, the villain will fold enough times that it is worth taking the risk, based on the example above when we DO hit. This is, of course, highly situational and speculative (A high is much better than K high, for example), but this is my 2 cents.

I think when I first started playing I used to bet out, but I didn't take much notice as to how often I got the guy to fold. I'm going to try this from now on, and see how well it goes. Just based on logic, it seems like you risk 1 bet to win about 6-8 BB on average, which seems like it should be profitable in the long run.

Note: I've just recently started playing for about a month and have only played maybe 5000 hands total, so I didn't really take note of the above stuff until now.

P.S. I'm probably sure somebody can confirm or refute what I'm saying just based on experience, so feel free.