(assuming 800 chip starting count)

Hero - 1500 chips
BS (Big stack) - 4500 Chips
SM1 (Small stack #1) - 1200 Chips
SM2 (Small stack #2) - 800 Chips

Say the situation is as such:
Blinds 150/300
BS is in the BB, SM2 is SB, you are UTG, SM1 is button
you hold a decent hand, say in the range A5 - AT and K9 - KQ, or small mediuam pockets 22 - 99 - you know, less than premium hands but good late-tourney raising hands

How do you approach this situation? You have a very good chance of busting the short stack since your hand probably beats his. What options do you have?

a) You minrraise to 600 preflop, fold, SB shortie folds, big stack all in, or pulls a nasty stop and go when you miss flop and you fold , down to 900 chips and not looking pretty since the Big blind hits you

b) You just call and hope the small stack goes all in and that the big stack just calls and u check it down

c) open all in

d) fold

a)i've ran into big stacks that push multiple times , forcing me to push since big stack sniffs out i wanna get away fromt he hand if i can in order not to bust 4th place

b) usulaly this never happens as most people are too dumb to check it down; or the big stack just raises you out of the pot and ur down and not looking pretty

c) u dont wanna all in here and risk busting 4th when u are 2nd stacked...

d) you can fold but you'd curse yourself if one of the other two shorties doubles up and you can't sleep well at night "shoulda coulda..."

Thoughts?

-Pancakeboy

Benholio
04-22-2005, 04:44 PM
If the big-stack has been putting any pressure at all on the shortstacks, I will just fold here. The only time I'll play marginal hands in this position is if the bigstack is playing super tight/passive, forcing me to try and do his job.

I hate spots like this, you fold your KQ or KJ or whatever, and bigstack LIMPS in from the button. Then folds on the flop. But thats the difference between us and them i guess..

pooh74
04-22-2005, 04:46 PM
If BS has been open pushing a lot, I would open all in with the upper echelon of your range there and fold the lower ones. Although you're second stack, you are not guaranteed ITM here and you still need to pick a few spots to be agressive. If I had 2500 and BS had 4500 and there were two little stacks, Id fold all of those UTG because if BS were smart, he'd put your minraise all in and you dont want to anything that's gonna make the two little stacks happy here. With you stack here, you cant stand a fold to a reraise so its push or fold with BS in BB.