PDA

View Full Version : Hello,Players !Hmmm.. Mathematics or psychology??

SittingBull
11-10-2002, 01:13 AM
Which field is more helpful to a limit poker player who plays 5-10 stud? 20-40 stud? 500-1000 stud?

Hmmmm
Just wondering,
Sitting Bull

Jimbo
11-10-2002, 01:48 AM
Hi Bull,

I say math since you will know exactly how much you are able to lose before your credit cards are maxed out. My 2nd choice would be marriage analysis. Then you could be sure to marry a wealthy woman and not worry about the math.

Jimbo

SittingBull
11-10-2002, 02:26 AM

11-10-2002, 06:39 PM
But seriously folks...I'd say math for the $5-10 player,
and psychology for the $500-$1000 player -- cause if he's playing that high, they all better know the math.

SittingBull
11-10-2002, 08:55 PM
identical to yours.
It's amazing how great /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif poker minds think alike!
Hmmm
Happy pokering!
Sitting Bull

Jimbo
11-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Bull,

I answered with humor since I believed the correct (but dull) answer to be obvious.

Jimbo

SittingBull
11-11-2002, 03:28 AM
knows the answer because U yourself know it!
One of the straits of a good teacher is to never assume that his students know the answer. What is obvious to some is not obvious to all.
H /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif appy pokering,Jimbo!
Sitting Bull

Jimbo
11-11-2002, 11:58 AM
Hello Bull,

It appears I correctly assumed you knew the answer. In fact anyone who would play the higher stakes would know the answer and furthermore anyone who did not play the higher stakes would have no need of the correct answer. So since IMO you asked an irrelevant question which you knew the correct answer I stand by my reasoning.

Jimbo

PS: I have not been a teacher for some time now.

SittingBull
11-11-2002, 05:19 PM
find out if anyone was thinking the way I was.
Since I have no data to back up my conjecture,I was in a "researching mode".
I,myself,have never played any higher limit games on a regular basis. So I have no experience on that level.
However,in playing low-limit games,I'm now convinced that logic and mathematics is the "boss" at that level.
Even if one has no immediate application relating to a question,he MIGHT have a need for it in the future.
In "Theory of Poker",Sklansky enumerated several concepts which were not relevent for my application when I began to study the material. However,as time went by, I began to find more and more of his material relevent.
What's mentally satisfying is "knowing" the answer to a particular question--NOT whether the question is relevant to an application.

Happy pokering, Jimbo!
Sitting Bull

Jimbo
11-11-2002, 05:34 PM
Hello Bull,

I can understand where you are coming from. Personally I wonder what is on the dark side of the moon even though it is unlikely I will ever need to know for a practical application. The only difference is I do not think I will post my question on the science/astronomy/moon forum! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo

11-16-2002, 05:53 PM
Someone need to write a book, "how to marry a rich women"

11-16-2002, 05:55 PM
How to Marry Super Rich: Or, Love, Money, and the Morning After
by Sheilah Graham