PDA

View Full Version : How bad did I play this A K ?

theredpill5
04-22-2005, 03:51 PM
I was doing alright but this is the 2nd time I've had someone hit two pair on my A K today and both times , I took some big hits.

.10/.25 NL

Hero $15
Villain $22

Hero in MP with A K
Villain UTG raises to $1
Hero calls
LP pushes All-in for $3
Villain calls
Hero calls

Flop: Q A 5 pot=8
Villain checks
Hero bets $5
Villain raises to $10
Hero pushes all-in for $15
Villain calls

Turn
River

No help

Villain show A Q .

Should I just know that villain has a monster ? I think I totally ignored the warning signs here. Raising then checking. Sometimes when some raises then checks, I check too for fear of a monster and often it is true. How would you play this ?

swolfe
04-22-2005, 03:56 PM
you might consider a re-raise preflop to try to get it heads up with the all-in guy.

other than that, you're too short stacked to play it any other way.

theredpill5
04-22-2005, 04:05 PM
I don't like reraising with A K . This is .10/.25 NL. I reraise and sometimes crazy players will push with nearly any two. I don't like going all-in preflop with A K . I don't see Villain folding AQ in a .10/.25 NL game. With players raising nearly any two, I've begun to once again call raises with AQ , too.

I only had $10 left so I figured what the hell. That is still 40 BB, though which is a lot. I made it all back on that same table but still a little pissed that I missed the warning signs.

tdarko
04-22-2005, 04:08 PM
a while back i posted about how AK with a board of A Q...is my least favorite spot to be in.

for myself: how do you get away from this hand?

theredpill5
04-22-2005, 04:11 PM
I don't know. Some guys check raise like this with a pair of aces and some only do it with two pair. You got to know who is who. I didn't know this guy but he did seem rather tight.

Of course, he does the patented leave immediately after hand move on me. I hate that crap. Hit and run [censored].

I only get away from it if I have like a full buy-in $25.

kurto
04-22-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see Villain folding AQ in a .10/.25 NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

(on this part at least) Yep. I'd say 90% of the players at $25 or $50NL would never dream of folding an AQ. Matter of fact, half the $25NL players wouldn't fold JK to a reraise.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like going all-in preflop with A K

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, unless the opponent is a LAG/Maniac.

With TRP's stack size vs the potsize, I don't see any reason to play it any differently. Though its true that if you have AK and the flop is AQ or even AJ... I'm doing my imitation of someone with tourettes.

swolfe
04-22-2005, 04:24 PM
he's shown weakness by only calling short-stacks all-in. that means he doesn't have AA/KK/AK and you likely have him dominated. the pot is pretty big at this point, i'd push here with AK all day and hope AQ calls me.

EDIT: i'm willing to do this because your stack is short compared to what the pot is. if you hit the flop, your stack is going in anyway, so you might as well push pre-flop to try to get the other guy to fold out and increase your odds of winning.

kurto
04-22-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know. Some guys check raise like this with a pair of aces and some only do it with two pair. You got to know who is who.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your case, which hand they have is irrelevent. His minraise says your TPTK is very probably no good. Since you have such a short stack, you call since you still have outs.

"Of course, he does the patented leave immediately after hand move on me. I hate that crap. Hit and run [censored]. "

Irrelevent.