PDA

View Full Version : [b]Are POT ODDS this simple?[/b]

KCFire105
04-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Is it correct to say that I need to figure out my odds of hitting, say for example 25% on some type of draw. Then make sure that the pot and the current bets equal enough to give me 3-1 or better on my call?

Thanks.

tpir90036
04-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Assuming that the only way you can win is by hitting your draw... then yes. You need to be offered a bigger return from the pot then your chances of succeeding.

binions
04-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Multiply

A. Pot odds + 1
and
B. The number of effective outs you have.

If the answer is greater than 46, you can call. If you want to allow for implied odds, then adjust A to pot odds + 2.

For example,

Let's say there are 5 big bets in the pot, and it is 1 big bet to call and see the river. Pot odds 5:1. 5+1=6

Let's say you have an open ended straight draw, but there is a flush draw on the board. You have 8 outs to the straight, but 2 of your outs may make someone a flush. I count this straight draw as 7 effective outs.

7*6 = 42 is less than 46 so you can't call. But if you think you will be able to make an extra bet if you make the straight, then 7*7 = 49 is greater than 46 so you can call.

tpir90036
04-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Yikes. How on earth is this simpler? Understanding the actual math is probably a better idea for someone who is interested in what is going on....and it's pretty darn simple already.

AnyTwoCanLose
04-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Its that simple on the river...

Earlier streets, you have to consider your additional bets and additional chances to draw, as well.

read about implied and reverse pot odds in a Sklansky book. It will teach you everything you need to know.

Applying them, however, is your job.