PDA

View Full Version : playing a marginal hand in a family pot

11-10-2002, 12:07 AM
here is a hand i thought was interesting from a weekend session. 7 players. two of whom are brothers, one of whom is named "jimmy" (perhaps CJ knows them). these two guys are absolutely terrible. one of them playes virtually every hand, brings it in for the max every time he has the bring in and calls to the end with any pair.

anyway, in one hand i am in fourth position with 8A/8 and raise after all call before me. everyone calls. there is $39 in the pot. i dont remember all the cards because there were so many, but nobody caught anything on fourth. it is checked around.

fifth street player two to my right catches an ace and bets. next player fold p2(see below) calls and i raise. i caught another blank. three players call. on sixth a player catches a pair of 7's on board. the boards were (dont recall the suits except for the one guy):

me: 853K
p3 9s3hJs2s
p1 34A5
p2 K7Q7

all of the opponents left are guys who play virtually every hand and all are passive. p3 bets i raise again. 93J calls and 345 folds. on the river i catch a 5. 7's check i check 93J2 Bets. he is one of the brothers i mentioned before. since he plays any cards i was sure he didnt have a flush. k7Q7 calls i call. the K7q7 took the pot with trip sevens.player three (bettor) shows down a pair of deuces and a four flush.

comments?

Pat

CJC
11-10-2002, 02:49 AM
Pat,

No, I don't know a 'Jimmy' off the top of my head.

ButI will make a note of him for future reference. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Maybe someday I'll be able to return to cards again. I have been getting my ass kicked here at the office. ( and I refuse to play on no sleep anymore, cause.. well you know I am prone to do stupid things while up for 2-3 days /forums/images/icons/blush.gif )

Actually, my card playing as a whole is going to be severely limited soon, as I am returning to school full time( after a 10 year absence ) to finally pursue my liflelong ambition of obtaining my Music degree.

Now if I transfer to UNLV, that might not be necessarily true. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Hope you enjoyed your visit,

CJ

Andy B
11-10-2002, 03:23 AM
I have two music degrees, and um, well, my engineering degree hasn't been doing me much good lately either. What was the question?

I would be much more passive with this hand. You're going to have to improve to win, and your raises didn't knock enough people out. I think that you could probably have anticipated that you wouldn't be able to knock people out, and you should have adjusted accordingly. I would be calling rather than raising.

Allan
11-10-2002, 01:40 PM
Actually, my card playing as a whole is going to be severely limited soon, as I am returning to school full time( after a 10 year absence ) to finally pursue my liflelong ambition of obtaining my Music degree.

I have 3 music degrees and am a working proffesional classical musician in a decent sized regional orchestra. I love the job. It is always exciting to be performing and another plus is the time I am actually on the job is probably on average less than 25 hrs a week. (there is that whole practice routine that adds up in hours though) It does leave some time for other interests. I wish you the best of luck pursuing your dream, but in todays market I wouldn't encourage anyone to pursue a career in this field.

Allan

11-12-2002, 11:34 AM
you are right i think that i should have anticipated that i wouldnt knock enough players out. on the other hand the pot was huge and even if i knocked out two or three later on i thought the raise would be worth it.

Pat