PDA

View Full Version : Staying off tilt

BigChris407
04-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I am new to poker, about 3 months but see a lot of potential in my game. When I am playing my best game, I have about 95% confidence that I know if I'm beat or not and am right about 90%. The problem is I've only got 3 months in the game and am still learning to look at poker as a long term session as opposed to sit down and make money every time thing. Because of this, I got on tilt pretty hard and will throw away hours of good play with 5 hands. My game seems to fit best in NL so obviously a few mistakes makes a big difference. My question is, when you see yourself making mistakes (as opposed to bad beats), what do you do or tell yourself or ask yourself to keep from going overboard. I know I'm always going to make mistakes, I'm not perfect. But when I put a bunch of mistakes together I get very discouraged. Any comments would be welcome.

BigChris407
04-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Is this the right forum for the question?

popniklas
04-22-2005, 05:07 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
Is this the right forum for the question?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this belongs in the psychology forum.

I suffer quite a bit from tilting myself, but at least I can give you two tips.

1. Try not to care about your short term results.

Worry about making the correct plays, not getting back to even/getting ahead. Think more of your longterm hourly rate and your results at the end of the month or year and less of your results at the end of the session, day or week.

2. Buy and read "Inside the Poker Mind" by John Feeney

I started reading it today and so far it seems truly great. It deals with various aspects of poker (and especially hold'em) psycohology and strategy and contains a lot of good discussions about going on tilt.

Good luck!