PDA

View Full Version : common situation

geormiet
04-22-2005, 02:37 PM
party 10/20 6 max

I raise on the button with 2c 2s. The SB cold calls, BB folds. The SB is very loose/tricky/aggressive.

Flop comes 8d 4d 4s. Check - Bet - call.

Turn is 5h.

SB checks. Should I bet and call a raise, or check, and call a river bet?

threepines
04-22-2005, 02:46 PM
No brainer bet. Your hand is too vulnerable to be allowing a free card.

Fianchetto
04-22-2005, 02:47 PM
I think you should bet and fold to a raise.

If you are called on the turn then I'd probably check the river unimproved.

Now if he would checkraise the turn with just overcards, or a diamond draw then I can see more merit in checking and calling a river bet. It's just that no matter what he has, if you are ahead, he has a lot of outs.

Maybe he peeled one off with something like QT which has about 12 outs against you; getting him to fold that on the turn is good.

geormiet
04-22-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should bet and fold to a raise.

If you are called on the turn then I'd probably check the river unimproved.

Now if he would checkraise the turn with just overcards, or a diamond draw then I can see more merit in checking and calling a river bet. It's just that no matter what he has, if you are ahead, he has a lot of outs.

Maybe he peeled one off with something like QT which has about 12 outs against you; getting him to fold that on the turn is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding to his checkraise is imo out of the question.

threepines
04-22-2005, 07:30 PM
I understand your thinking on both of the 6 max hands you posted today. The lines you are suggesting may be right against the super aggro player who will cr with second pair on the flop and cr bluff or semi-bluff on the turn with a draw. In the 22 hand, you avoid the cr on the turn and induce a bluff on the river. In my mind, this line is read dependent. Against a less aggressive opponent, I'm with Fianchetto.

balkii
04-22-2005, 08:19 PM
if you have to call a checkraise this is easy check behind and call on the river. the amount you win picking off his bluffs (i'm assuming he'll bluff river nearly every time you check turn?) will more than make up for the small pots you lose because you gave a free card.

also you never pay off 3 bets with deuces.