PDA

View Full Version : Calling min-raises with low pocket pairs preflop?

jacks321
04-22-2005, 01:42 PM
In the early rounds when the blinds are low, is it advisable to call min-raises with low pocket pairs in hopes of hitting a set? In the early rounds of the low buyins especially, a lot of people tend to min-raise just about anything. So if I'm in late position with a small pocket pair and there's been a min-raise before it gets to me, how many callers would I typically need to make this call EV+? Also, should I be more willing to call with a higher pocket pair (say, 10s or jacks)? I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference for me because if I don't hit a set, I'm check/folding the flop nearly every time.

ColdestCall
04-22-2005, 01:52 PM
In order to profitably call raises with pocket pairs early in an SNG, I would suggest the following conditions be met:

1. You are not investing more than 7% of your stack pre-flop.
2. You are reasonably certain that the pot will not be raised again behind you preflop.
3. You are reasonably certain that you are going to get paid at least 5x your preflop investment if you hit your set, AND you have the potential to get paid 10x or more.

Not meeting these conditions will result in your leaking chips that you will need later.

hummusx
04-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I think you don't generally need a bunch of callers like you would merely because your implied odds are so huge. If someone hits top pair with a good kicker, you've got a pretty good opportunity to relieve them of a lot of their chips. Especially at the lower buyins.

I've busted people out of lots of 22s early on with TPTK against their TPCK (top pair crappy kicker). Occasionally I get caught on this and get knocked out by someone that called with 44 and caught their trips on the flop. Being that person is worth calling with odds that aren't quite there. Just don't take it too far.

OLD_TABLE
04-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Calling small raises with pocket pairs is correct. People are always going way too far with top pair or an over pair. If you flop a set, you will double up a lot of the time. I've heard you should be willing to call up to 6% of your chips preflop then fold the 88% of the time that you don't flop a set. Make sure the game is not too crazy, however, as you will not want to be calling any preflop reraises.