PDA

View Full Version : New to NL

chopchoi
04-22-2005, 10:47 AM
I usually play limit, but yesterday I decided to try NL for a change. I have some NL experience in tourneys, but have not played many cash games.

I quickly found myself in a perplexing situation. I raised $3.50 from MP with AQo. Button called.

Flop was A, J, rag. I bet $10 into the $8.50 pot. Button calls.

Turn is a ten. I...

BirdieLongSocks
04-22-2005, 11:05 AM
I cant see how you are in the lead right now, maybee A9 but outherwise he has you beat.

Was there a flushdraw? I would check this turn and fold to a bet as I cant see any hand except some funky draw that you have beat. Fire out 1/3 of the pot on the river and fold to raise/push if he checks behind.

swolfe
04-22-2005, 11:08 AM
we need more info. stacks? blinds? i'm figuring this is the $100 tables based on your PF raise...

bet $20 and fold to the raise

chopchoi
04-22-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we need more info. stacks? blinds? i'm figuring this is the $100 tables based on your PF raise...

bet $20 and fold to the raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this was Bodog $100 NL. Blinds .50/$1. We each had ninety something dollars in our stacks.

Tuben
04-22-2005, 02:23 PM
First you overbet the pot and he called. Ypu are proble beat. He might have AK ocr aj maybe trips. J

Dont bet that much . I would bet lite more the half the pot here.

chopchoi
04-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks. Now for part 2.

I bet $15 on the turn and he calls. The river is a rag. I'm not really sure about my hand, but then again, he hasn't been playing back at me, so maybe he isn't either. I think if I check it to him, he might check as well, and we can show it down cheaply.

I check, he bets $25. I...

kamjah
04-22-2005, 02:38 PM
id say if you don't think hes been slowplaying a monster, throw out a blocking bet on the river so he doesnt assume your showing weakness. but this seems rough seeing as youve already commited quite a bit to the pot.

kurto
04-22-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cant see how you are in the lead right now, maybee A9 but outherwise he has you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's so weird. If this was Partypoker $25 or $50 NL, I would make no such assumptions. Where at least 2 players at every full table will call any raise with any ace.

Last night at $50 NL I raised with AK, hit TPTK and got called all the way down someone who called my raise with K6.

There's WAY too little information on the opponent here to determine if he's behind or not.

I like the line of making small blocking bets on each street to keep the pot size under control.

But we really need to know if the villain is loose/tight/decent/fishy...

chopchoi
04-22-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But we really need to know if the villain is loose/tight/decent/fishy...

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, I was only at the table for 5 minutes, so I had no idea.

kurto
04-22-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, I was only at the table for 5 minutes, so I had no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing with NL... reads are so important.

More thoughts...

If the Blind is halfway decent, and is putting you on a card, he has to consider that you raised in MP so his first assumption is that you likely have a strong ace or a pocket pair. Since he's on the button, his range of calling hands are a little broader (especially because your raise wasn't that much -- I'd raise slightly more.. but that might just be me) IF he's good, then he would only call your raise with TPTK (maybe AQ), 2 pair or set. (especially after your followup bet.) There is a straight draw, but I don't see a good player calling with only 4 outs. The only other possibility is an aggressive player who thinks he can push you off your hand if the board gets scary. (I don't assume this unless I have reason to believe otherwise)

If he's a weak player/calling station, he could be calling with SO many hands you're ahead of.

Since you don't know, I say take one of the following (not necessarily in this order because I will play either way)... (1) bet the flop. Check the turn (call a reasonable bet). Check or blocking bet (1/2pot) on the river. OR (2) bet the flop. You might bet the turn (as you did), in which case I would still lead a blocking bet on the river.

Finally- since you went as far as you did, I'm inclined to call his river bet. (I can't stress enough... knowing your opponent makes a world of difference. Pokertracker is invaluable. Without that, play cautiously until you get some idea how people play. Take notes whenever you see showdowns and note.. who bluffs, who is a calling station, what kinds of hands do they call raises with on the button? etc.) Its a whole different game when you start to get a read on your opponents.

chopchoi
04-22-2005, 05:06 PM
I called his bet and he showed pocket 10's. A whole weeks winnings from limit down the drain in 1 hand. I might have to stick to limit from now on.

I still don't see how he could call my flop bet with two overcards on board and only 2 outs.

kurto
04-22-2005, 05:33 PM
"A whole weeks winnings from limit down the drain in 1 hand. I might have to stick to limit from now on." You can't think that way. When I was playing $25NL... I would play 4 tables, go down $75 in the first hour and end the night $200 ahead.

You're going to lose bigger pots but also win bigger pots.

"I still don't see how he could call my flop bet with two overcards on board and only 2 outs." Cause he's an idiot. The thing is, this same idiot (and one's like him) are the reason you play NL. In the long run, these idiots will give you all of their money.

The winrates are much higher at NL. I find it much more rewarding then Limit.

You need to flop a set with 2 callers and stack them both. Then you'll appreciate NL and never go back.

poboy
04-22-2005, 06:09 PM
If you are going to raise this pf, then you must put in a real raise. 5-7BB's is my standard opening raise, and add 1 more for each limper. Granted in this particular hand he is going to call either way, which is why you want to raise more. Get the money in while you can, most people are going to fold once they miss the flop. Other than that it looks fine, you just got unlucky. JMO