PDA

View Full Version : miguel tejada?

StevenFittos
04-22-2005, 10:33 AM
My brother Bobby, he posts here BobboFittos, made a strange argument to me. Tejada is my favorite player, and I think hes the best player in baseball. However, Bobby was telling me that in Tejadas MVP year, 2002, Scott Hatteberg was more productive in the 136 games he played offensively. Is there any validity to his argument? Thanks 2plus2. Im a new poster btw.

istewart
04-22-2005, 10:36 AM
I believe this is straight out of Moneyball. Haven't read the book in some time but I remember reading about this somewhere, and that sounds about right.

Edited to say that I do not remember it comparing him to Tejada ever, but it did say that Hatteberg had the best ____ (I can't remember. Jack, tbach, someone fill this statistic in) in the MLB.

tbach24
04-22-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My brother Bobby, he posts here BobboFittos, made a strange argument to me. Tejada is my favorite player, and I think hes the best player in baseball. However, Bobby was telling me that in Tejadas MVP year, 2002, Scott Hatteberg was more productive in the 136 games he played offensively. Is there any validity to his argument? Thanks 2plus2. Im a new poster btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt Bobby would say this. He is retarded. Luckiest SOB alive.

Paluka
04-22-2005, 10:38 AM
There is no validity to his argument.

Soul Daddy
04-22-2005, 10:39 AM
What is your brother's definition of production?

2002 Win Shares:
Tejada - 32
Hatteberg - 16

tbach24
04-22-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe this is straight out of Moneyball. Haven't read the book in some time but I remember reading about this somewhere, and that sounds about right.

Edited to say that I do not remember it comparing him to Tejada ever, but it did say that Hatteberg had the best ____ (I can't remember. Jack, tbach, someone fill this statistic in) in the MLB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pitches seen per PA. I don't think that Hatte's better straight up, but per $ there's no chance that Miggy's better. Also, Miggy is way overpaid and Hatte's somewhat underpaid. Ahh, the beauty of taking advantage of an innefficient market.

istewart
04-22-2005, 10:43 AM
wtf calls him Miggy?

steeser
04-22-2005, 10:44 AM
I just read "Moneyball". I think it's in regards to a runs created formula that Paul Depodesta had at the time. Heavily waited to OBP.

He also may be referring to how many pitches Hatteberg made opposing pitchers throw to get him out, thereby wearing the pitchers down for the rest of the order.

Soul Daddy
04-22-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that Hatte's better straight up, but per $ there's no chance that Miggy's better. Also, Miggy is way overpaid and Hatte's somewhat underpaid. Ahh, the beauty of taking advantage of an innefficient market.

[/ QUOTE ]
In 2002 Tejada was far from being overpaid. And given his production, he's hardly way overpaid currently.

tbach24
04-22-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf calls him Miggy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Miggy is basically 4 letters of typing. Miguel is 6. Time efficiency, plus it sounds cute. Read teh book now btw.

jesusarenque
04-22-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and I think hes the best player in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong.

Lazymeatball
04-22-2005, 11:27 AM
So which big over the hill bat is Baltimore going to buy next year while still neglecting starting pitching?

IndieMatty
04-22-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf calls him Miggy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Miggy is basically 4 letters of typing. Miguel is 6. Time efficiency, plus it sounds cute. Read teh book now btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

People call him Miggy.

miajag81
04-22-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf calls him Miggy?

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh pretty much every sports talk/radio guy in the Baltimore area

Uston
04-22-2005, 01:28 PM
How is $12M/year for one of the ten best players on the planet overpaid?

Jack of Arcades
04-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Scott Hatterberg was not as valuable as Miguel Tejada in any sense of the word. Tejada had more playing time, better rate stats, and played one of the most demanding positions on the field.

Jack of Arcades
04-22-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So which big over the hill bat is Baltimore going to buy next year while still neglecting starting pitching?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's not like Javy Lopez and Miguel Tejada were two of the best players at their position last year... oh wait, yes, they were.

Roan
04-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I think Tejada is a bargain by today's standards, compare him to the two other premiere SS in his division, would you rather have:
Jeter at around 19/yr
Renteria at 10/yr
Tejada at around 12/yr

strictly based on the numbers i think he's a great deal, throw in the clubhouse/team leader type stuff and he's a steal

DiamondDave
04-24-2005, 05:39 AM
He swings at way too many pitches. He is a great athlete. He is overpaid.

Jack of Arcades
04-24-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care if he's Mr. Swing-At-Everything, he was the most valuable player in the AL last year.

Uston
04-24-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care if he's Mr. Swing-At-Everything, he was the most valuable player in the AL last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and the second best player in the AL last year is probably the only superstar to swing at more bad pitches that Tejada.