PDA

View Full Version : playing TT and JJ UTG in a tourney

bestcellar
04-22-2005, 10:32 AM
I know this is covered to death in this forum, but I wondering....how do you guys play TT and JJ in a longer round tourney? Early in the tourney I tend to be very passive and just limp in hoping to hit my set or have my overpair hold up. Later, I'm obviously more aggressive. My thinking is that if I raise, say 4x the bb UTG and get reraised all in, I'm probably going to think about laying it down so why not limp.

Superfluous Man
04-22-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking is that if I raise, say 4x the bb UTG and get reraised all in, I'm probably going to think about laying it down so why not limp.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because JJ or TT is likely the best hand preflop, and you want to raise it for value first of all. Also, you want to raise so you have an easier time on the flop, because you're more likely to get a caller (or multiple callers) than a pusher. For instance, if the flop comes with an ace and you got 3 callers preflop, you can get away from JJ or TT a lot easier, because you know people are more likely to cold-call with an ace in their hand.

If you get reraised all-in preflop, then you have a decision to make based on the person's range of hands and the odds the pot is laying you. But you shouldn't worry about that.

schwza
04-22-2005, 02:06 PM
i'll pretty much always raise TT/JJ utg. i'd limp 99 early.