PDA

View Full Version : AQ & AJ in EP/MP

Los Feliz Slim
04-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Commence barrage of questions:

Do you raise AQ & AJ in EP/MP or limp? How about UTG? Does it matter to you whether there are limpers ahead of you or LAGs behind? Do you always fold these hands to a raise, or do you consider that position/game dependent as well? How about to a min-raise?

I ask because I play these hands very aggressively from all positions and it's losing me money. I'm constantly ending up with very difficult situations like TPTK out of position facing a big raise after a pot-size bet.

Anybody have another way of doing this?

theblitz
04-22-2005, 10:15 AM
AQ and AJo are by no means big hands.
You should read what Doyle Brunson says about them in SS/2.

They are troublesome hands that, even if you hit, can leave you way behind.

Calling an EP raise when you are in MP is not a great idea. Obviously they are not re-raiseable.

These are examples of hands that you really want to see the flop as cheaply as possible.

This changes whent eh table is short-handed or playing 6-max. There these hands do go up in value.

Los Feliz Slim
04-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Literally as I was reading this, I was dealt AJs UTG and limped. It was folded to the BB, who checked. Flop was A84 rainbow and he bets the pot. I call, trying to keep the pot small. Turn is a J, there are now two hearts on the board. He bets the pot again...I call (should've raised I know I know). The river is a 4. He bets the bot again, and I lose to 84 that boated on the river.

I understand that the above example is bad play on the turn by me. But, this is also why I have been raising AJ, to keep crappy hands from hitting two pair or draws from the blinds.

theblitz
04-22-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was dealt AJs UTG and limped.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a BIG differance between suited and unsuited in these hands.
Suited are definitely playable because of the possible flush draw.

MikeL
04-22-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was dealt AJs UTG and limped.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a BIG differance between suited and unsuited in these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd venture to say that the difference is not as big as you
think it is. At a 10-max table, I'm folding AJ (sooooted, or
not) just about every time I get it.

Regards,
Mike L.

Ghazban
04-22-2005, 10:52 AM
If you're folding AJs from LP in unraised pots, you are giving up a lot of value.

MikeL
04-22-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're folding AJs from LP in unraised pots, you are giving up a lot of value.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said "UTG." That is EP, not LP. I'll limp AJ from late.

Regards,
Mike L.

Ghazban
04-22-2005, 11:12 AM
I was just going by your comment:

"At a 10-max table, I'm folding AJ (sooooted, or
not) just about every time I get it."

nietzreznor
04-22-2005, 11:15 AM
I usually fold AJo from EP, and limp with AJs and AQ. Occasionally I will raise with AQ in EP, but I think I too often run into the type of problems you are having when I do that.
If someone raises behind me, it depends on what I think of the person, their position, size of the raise, etc.--but if they're sooted I am more inclined to call.

beset7
04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Commence barrage of questions:

Do you raise AQ & AJ in EP/MP or limp? How about UTG? Does it matter to you whether there are limpers ahead of you or LAGs behind? Do you always fold these hands to a raise, or do you consider that position/game dependent as well? How about to a min-raise?

I ask because I play these hands very aggressively from all positions and it's losing me money. I'm constantly ending up with very difficult situations like TPTK out of position facing a big raise after a pot-size bet.

Anybody have another way of doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

These hands need to be played dynamically (player depedent, table dependent, position dependent, etc). I started loosing a lot less money with them when I realized that I'm not playing them for top-pair value. I want top two, a big straight draw, top pair with flush draw, etc. Hitting top pair with AJo when I'm OOP is "missing the flop" in my book.

In EP/MP I fold to a tight raiser, call to an avg player, re-raise a total LAG and limp or raise in an unraised pot depending on the texture of the table and my table image.

(note: I'm talking full ring).