PDA

View Full Version : A collection agency is coming for me - help?

yellowjack
04-22-2005, 04:31 AM
I haven't paid tuition for a university I'm enrolled in, but haven't attended at all. If this does not interest you, please go back to forum listing.

A year and a half ago I started university at UBC. I had signed up for courses at SFU (backup U) in case but when September came around UBC accepted me and got in. A few months after that I got an email from SFU, saying to pay tuition. I ignored it. It came again last summer, and in February of this year and I ignored it.

Today I got an email saying it's my final overdue notice and that they're send a collection agency if I don't pay by April 27th. My intention tomorrow morning is to finally call their Student Services and tell them.

Before I do call them, what is there to prove that I actually didn't attend a single damned class? How about any other info I should have ready? This is the main thing I'm worried about. I've already gotten crap from my family, so the person over the phone doing the same won't really affect me. I'm just hoping that this can get straightened out within a reasonable amount of time.

Anyone in the know-how of how this works, and any advice? The reason why I didn't do this earlier is that I'm a lazy motherfucker, obviously. Just getting that out of the way.

Brainwalter
04-22-2005, 05:29 AM
When you sign up for classes, you agree to pay tuition for them, whether or not you attend them. It's in the Terms or Agreement you didn't read, but agreed to. You apparently never dropped the classes and now you owe them money. I highly doubt you'll be able to avoid paying. Pay tomorrow and keep the collection agency out of it.

JMO

[censored]
04-22-2005, 05:46 AM
You're only chance is to plead ignorance, tell them you never attended and thought that the classes would be auto dropped if you did not attend the any of first week of classes. Check the student handbook as most contain a clause to this affect allowing profs to drop you for nonattendance. If so make sure you bring that up.

[censored]
04-22-2005, 05:48 AM
If it does go to collection agency, make sure you use your right to dispute the charges. This should be done within 30days of notice. Once you have disputed it, you will most likely be able to negoiate a lessor settlement payment.

FatMan
04-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Find and read the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. It spells out everything a collector can and cannot do. You may still have to pay, but at least you can keep the collectors in check.

on_thg
04-22-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Find and read the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. It spells out everything a collector can and cannot do. You may still have to pay, but at least you can keep the collectors in check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does Canada have equivalent legislation to the FDCPA?

pshreck
04-22-2005, 10:51 AM
There is no way they let you off without at least going to court over this, and even then I dont see why you wouldnt have to pay. Enrolling in classes is signing a contract, but in a different form. Why did you logically think this wasn't a serious issue when you were getting those letters?

BWebb
04-22-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're only chance is to plead ignorance, tell them you never attended and thought that the classes would be auto dropped if you did not attend the any of first week of classes. Check the student handbook as most contain a clause to this affect allowing profs to drop you for nonattendance. If so make sure you bring that up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I would do. Just make like it was a big misunderstanding.

gamblore99
04-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I've never been involved with a collection agency. What tactics do they use to collect? How bad are they?

Mike Gallo
04-22-2005, 12:29 PM
I work as a collection manager.

Send me a pm and I will guide you accordingly.

yellowjack
04-22-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm pleading ignorance, going to probably cash out what I have from playing micro-limits, and see what happens. I mean I was ignorant in that I thought they'd go away, so I'm not lying about that part.

I know I'm an idiot for not reading the Terms of Agreement but honestly if you were slapped with a huge tuition payment wouldn't you do everything you could to fight it?

ttleistdci
04-22-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pleading ignorance, going to probably cash out what I have from playing micro-limits, and see what happens. I mean I was ignorant in that I thought they'd go away, so I'm not lying about that part.

I know I'm an idiot for not reading the Terms of Agreement but honestly if you were slapped with a huge tuition payment wouldn't you do everything you could to fight it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably would've called when I got the first bill to say, "Hey, I don't go to your school."

i wanna be me
04-22-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is 100% correct - at the U of S (Saskatchewan) they would almost certainly drop the fees if: a. you talked to the university and explained, and b. corresponded with the professors in your courses to ensure that you were not in attendance and did not intend to pursue the courses. At the least, they will probably discount your tuition.