PDA

View Full Version : watching others. Do you do it?

CardSharpCook
04-22-2005, 02:08 AM
The top 10 thread had me curious. How many of us spend a good amount of time watching a fellow Trout play a MTT (not just sweating a FT)? Who do you watch and why?

CSC

gr8vertical
04-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Every night I get off work (11pm CST) I check the pary super thread and watch the 2+2'ers that are left. That's all I do so far. Now I just need to find a mentor person to help me with tournies and I'll be set

Punker
04-22-2005, 02:24 AM
I try to watch if anyone gets deep in a super. Always a little sad if no one does. Will always go sweat a final table if I have time.

crookedhat99
04-22-2005, 02:38 AM
Not only do I watch fellow 2+2ers, I think sweating has been one of the most beneficial things 2+2 has given my game. I'll watch anybody from an official tourny, or sometimes search for people like you, MLG, bugstud, genius,donbuttons, sirio, davidross, ytrain etc. Watching beasts in action after you read about their theories and hands allows you to learn infinitely more than from just the limits of the forum.

CardSharpCook
04-22-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only do I watch fellow 2+2ers, I think sweating has been one of the most beneficial things 2+2 has given my game. I'll watch anybody from an official tourny, or sometimes search for people like you, MLG, bugstud, genius,donbuttons, sirio, davidross, ytrain etc. Watching beasts in action after you read about their theories and hands allows you to learn infinitely more than from just the limits of the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good post. I like this answer. I feel that I should do more of this, but I guess it is hard to be watching poker, and not playing (esp when you can't see hole cards).

Thanks for the replies guys. I think someday soon I will devote a few hours to watching others play.

CSC

tiger7210
04-22-2005, 03:17 AM
I watch MLG play the Sunday 350K almost every Sunday from start to finish. I also watch several players in the 11R on Stars after i bust /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I watch a lot of the top players and have found it incredibly helpful watching Mike win from start to finish as well as watching grinder win the $350K from start to finish.

fnord_too
04-22-2005, 09:55 AM
I rarely sweat anyone. If I do I am playing at other tables and just look over occasionally. When I am in a tourney with fellow trouts, I try to keep an eye on them (because I genuinely like seeing them do well (as long as it isn't at my expence /images/graemlins/smirk.gif), not because I am hoping they get taken out to soften the field.)

Now, I may start sweating people just to improve my game by watching them play, but I have not really done that yet. I just don't have a high enough boredom threshhold to focus intently on a poker game I am not involved in.

Che
04-22-2005, 10:09 AM
When I was a recreational player, I learned a lot watching cferejohn (and occasionally Fossilman) play.

Now my poker income has to support my family so I really can't afford to watch others closely during primetime, but I will occasionally watch someone for 30 minutes or so after I bust out of my last tournament to wind down before I go to bed. Generally, this observation time is not very helpful in terms of developing my skills.

However, I watched MLG play from 65 or so to the end of the UB $200K recently and felt like I benefited from the time spent (although I can't really put a finger on what the benefit was /images/graemlins/blush.gif). Maybe it just gave me confidence that the way I play will get me another win when the stars line up in such a way that I win a few more coinflips than average.

Anyway, that's what I do/have done.

Later,
Che

yecul
04-22-2005, 10:51 AM
I've observed the originator of this thread, CSC, and bugstud a bit. Plus whoever happens to be very deep in the large tourneys. But that's mainly because I know the screenname they're using and can find them easily. Don't always know what others are called...