PDA

View Full Version : Killer Instict

J_V
04-22-2005, 12:49 AM
I lost in 32 today. For those of you that aren't familiar, it's just like 21 but without the freethrows. It's 28-24 me and and a two horse race. Now this dude is good, not JoeTall good, but all-county in high school - same team as sup bro. He's stronger, jumps higher, and built like a tank, and can also shoot. But it really shouldn't have mattered because I never lose at 32. I always want it more. [censored] A, I look over at this dude and realize that this dude wants as bad as I do, maybe more. It was almost like I realized that I didn't have what it took to win these games any more. Where it used to be, "[censored] you, you're not winning today, you're gonna need to kill me to win."

Of course it's my ball at 30-30 and instead of going hard to the rack, I take some bail out jumper and in the name of justice, it went in and out. Two possessions later the game is over, I lost 32-30.

No killer instict. It's gone. I used to have the best killer instinct around. I've lost it. How did I lose it? Poker. Poker saps your killer instinct, day by day. Why? Because you can't "make" yourself win in poker. Not if it's not your day. After a while you begin to accept "losing."

Four years ago, I win that game. Remember poker players, losing is not okay.

The next time I play, I'm gonna find a [censored] way to win that game. One way or another, he's gonna be making excuses NOT ME.

istewart
04-22-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm not normally a mean guy, but this post [censored] sucks.

Blarg
04-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Good. Then you won't be using poker as an excuse.

InchoateHand
04-22-2005, 12:53 AM
You are normally a dick, but right now you happen to be a correct dick.

Subfallen
04-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Why does this post suck? Can someone elaborate?

I liked this post.

J_V
04-22-2005, 12:58 AM
Get back to your dungeons and dragons.

Senor Cardgage
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://killerinstinct.itgo.com/images/fg_killer_instinct.jpg

CCC-Combo breaker!!

Alobar
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really, take that post over to QLC

J_V
04-22-2005, 01:02 AM
It's easy to let mediocrity slip into your life. This was a little wake up call.

Even more so for someone like me who is driven by fear of failure. I was getting to comfortable with failure. My first thought after the loss was well..it's more of a rebounding game anyway....and this guy's an animal on the boards. Gay.

zaxx19
04-22-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even more so for someone like me who is driven by fear of failure

[/ QUOTE ]

VOMIT.

That may be the worst motivation one person can have in life...im talking from past experience.

Dantes
04-22-2005, 01:14 AM
wow.

simply wow.

I'd rather read a tyler durden post than a j_v post now.

And that's hard to say.

Inthacup
04-22-2005, 01:16 AM
Seriously, this post is [censored] lame.

J_V
04-22-2005, 01:17 AM
I disagree. I'm not sure how healthy it is, but it's certainly breeds "successful" people.

And it's not exactly like you can change what motivates you. But I see, you claim to have, so good luck with that.

Ulysses
04-22-2005, 02:09 AM
Glad you saw the light. Losing is for losers.

Joe Tall
04-22-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
instead of going hard to the rack, I take some bail out jumper

[/ QUOTE ]

You gave it up there and you know it. Fck this guy and take it in. If you want to win, you know where the high percentage shot is but you bailed.

Yes, it's instict, and we all need to practice it.

Joe Tall
04-22-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, this post is [censored] lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't play hoop, obviously.

Eurotrash
04-22-2005, 02:28 AM
I'm thoroughly disappointed this wasn't about the arcade game KI /images/graemlins/frown.gif

C-C-C-C-Combo breaker

Eurotrash
04-22-2005, 02:28 AM
fck yeah dude, I didn't read this reply before I posted my own. very nice. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tron
04-22-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://killerinstinct.itgo.com/images/fg_killer_instinct.jpg

CCC-Combo breaker!!

[/ QUOTE ]

VNH

EliteNinja
04-22-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thoroughly disappointed this wasn't about the arcade game KI /images/graemlins/frown.gif

C-C-C-C-Combo breaker

[/ QUOTE ]

M-M-M-M-Monster combo...bo...bo...bo....

sublime
04-22-2005, 03:03 AM
im funny

im good looking

and god damn people like me

Schneids
04-22-2005, 03:27 AM
You guys are moronic this post is fantastic.

Josh W
04-22-2005, 03:30 AM
I feel you.

I don't lose in Air Hockey. I don't. Oh, people have heard me say that, and then said "okay, it's on"....well, it wasn't. I don't consider a 7-2 thrashing being "on". Kicking butt and taking initials, cuz i didn't have time to write down names.

Then Aimee came along. Really cute girl who I just started to date. She was huge into college hoops last year at march madness, so a group of us head to the local bar. It has an air hockey table. She starts talking smack, and I ignore her. I'm like "wait, you said that to ME?". She said "I'm the airhockey princess", and I replied that that was nice, because I was the king, so she could bow to me.

Game on.

She beat me. Oh, she was up like 6-2, then I snapped out of it, said hell no, and started playing with renewed vigor. Got it to 6-6, then she made a good shot. She was a player.

But I was better.

She didn't know a lot of the people that we were at the bar with, we go back to the crowd, and its high-5s all around. Nobody beats Josh. One guy, Don, then says "careful Aimee, he may be hustling you...he's a gambler". I realize it's my chance to save face and say "that's right...there was no wager, that's why you won...I mean, what were we playing for???"

Without missing a beat, she says "sexual favors". This girl had game.

BUT NOBODY BEATS ME AT AIRHOCKEY. Game on, part deux.

I beat her 7-3, then 7-2.

Poker is about the long run, right?

It was a good night. Glad it only took me a couple seconds to refind my killer instinct.

You'll get it back. Maybe you already got it!

Josh

Ulysses
04-22-2005, 05:17 AM
Bring it, Josh. Air Hockey, Foosball, Table Tennis. I'm there.

ethan
04-22-2005, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize it's my chance to save face and say "that's right...there was no wager, that's why you won...I mean, what were we playing for???"

Without missing a beat, she says "sexual favors".

[/ QUOTE ]

Even thought it was handed to you on a silver platter, nh.

The Dude
04-22-2005, 06:27 AM
If I ever get the chance, I'd love to challenge you at Foosball or Table Tennis. My gift to you: you can wear the mask to preserve your dignity after losing or not, your choice.

The Dude
04-22-2005, 06:28 AM
BTW, this post rocks. Anybody who's a true competitor knows what you're talking about.

InchoateHand
04-22-2005, 06:31 AM
If only there were someone who could give me more than passing competition at table tennis. That and I get lazy--I beat everyone by the same score, no matter how good/bad. So people are always thinking they are close. They aren't.

jakethebake
04-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Is this some kind of basketball thing?

astroglide
04-22-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Table Tennis

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll take that one if we meet

as for the OP, what if we don't know what 21 is?

jakethebake
04-22-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's me.

zaxx19
04-22-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I'm not sure how healthy it is, but it's certainly breeds "successful" people.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isnt what motivates the MOST successful people...not that im claiming to be one or on my way to becoming one.

Read a book by a VERY VERY successful person for some insight.

Sure, some will be driven by fear, but most will be driven by passion and a general need to create/improve/fix....

Im pretty sure a reasonably intelligent person can changemost things about themselves....ive seen it in myself and in others. It isnt easy and it takes some honest reflection on what you want out of life which is very difficult at times considering how strongly our society pushes certain values(take your use of the word success- im wondering how you would define it?).

Ulysses
04-22-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are probably a loser and this post doesn't apply to you.

daryn
04-22-2005, 01:53 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

agree 100%.

jakethebake
04-22-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thread has become quite good. The OP, however, was very bad.

asofel
04-22-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wow.

simply wow.

I'd rather read a tyler durden post than a j_v post now.

And that's hard to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao

Josh W
04-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Back in the day, I could play table tennis...it would take me a while to get back there. I'd still hesitate to say I'd have a chance against Ole'.

As for foosball. Well, ya got me. I mean, I won't even pretend. My brother was damn good at it, he got all the foos genes in the family.

But I got the airhockey ones. Sorry man, it won't even be pretty.

jakethebake
04-22-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you nationally ranked? Have you ever been?

Shajen
04-22-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Josh W
04-22-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

AND I just saved A TON of money on car insurance.

jakethebake
04-22-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AND I just saved A TON of money on car insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you're avoiding my question. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Josh W
04-22-2005, 03:04 PM
My bad, sorry. No, never been ranked. Never knew there was such a thing.

Go with Geico.

EliteNinja
04-22-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll pwn you all at Foos

J_V
04-22-2005, 09:04 PM
The word successful was in quotes - I mean the standard - definition of achieving high standing in your field of work, whether it be monetarily or academically. In my book, if you want to devote your life to becoming a world class starcraft player and you achieve it, that's success, whether or not society would deem it so or not.

J_V
04-22-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm not a very good writer. And this post had a high cheese factor but it was more for me than the OTT barnacles. I really could have done w/out the capitalization.

J_V
04-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Played again today. Same crew of decent players, without the guy that beat me. I just needed to get out there an put a win on the board. Terrible conditions, rainy, muddy, puddles - turned into a real bloodbath. They really beat me down pretty good but I won. I was really focused on not taking a possession off on either side of the ball. No one really thought they could win though. It's funny how you just know some people don't believe they can win. They hope, but they're not really counting on it.

I've never been in a fight, but I've been thinking lately, I wouldn't mind getting into a fight with one of my bigger friends just to see how far I'm willing to go. I have a nagging feeling that I wouldn't go as far as I hope.

If any of you saw that UFC Hughes-Trigg fight it's clear that Hughes was just mentally tougher. I thought that was pretty cool.

Anyway, I've got a fat lip and a rock in my palm. But, I did put a cheap win on the board.

I miss basketball though, I forgot how powerful the rush of endorphins after you play can get. It's quite a high. Makes me want to come here and post for some reason.

J_V
04-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Wow, I thought everyone knew what 21 was. It's a baskeball game played w/ 3+ players. Where you the first one to get 21 points wins. If you score you get 3 free throws. 32, is make it take it, first one to 32 points wins. It's usually a bunch of guys, so it's 1 versus 5+ when you are trying to score. The closer you get to 32, the harder people try to stop you, so there is a built in handicap. When you have 30, it's really tough to get a clean look with five guys all over you.

1800GAMBLER
04-22-2005, 10:02 PM
FWIW, i've added this to my favourite threads to check back on everytime i let myself slip.

Slacker13
04-22-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful. I'm also "First Team All Bar". Table tennis i'm a little shaky, but I make up for it at darts and golden tee golf. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Inthacup
04-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Hughes is the man.

Here is a clip (http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=271#) of a post-fight interview.(click on 'download the high quality video')Pretty interesting to hear what he has to say.

Edit: Hughes, not Trigg. lol

glen
04-22-2005, 11:33 PM
We'll add 32 to the degenerate sports mixed games we play at this years wsop along with bowling, pool, darts, razz, and wheelbarrell race. . . you can play too Josh. Btw, Nate is single again, so he will be in his non-domesticated mode. . . .

p.s. Glenn is not all that at bowling. . .

1800GAMBLER
06-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Bump. Did you win the rematch?

-Skeme-
06-29-2005, 04:19 PM
I've punched many things after facing Eyedol and his 99 hit combo.

WackityWhiz
06-29-2005, 05:20 PM
OP, thanks for the post man -- I really think it'll help some things in my life

Much appreciated

KingDan
06-29-2005, 05:38 PM
How do you play 21 without free throws? Seems like a worse version of one on one.

J_V
06-29-2005, 06:19 PM
No rematch yet. I would say he's ducking me, but that would be patently untrue. We've both been pretty busy. I'll post and update win or lose.

J_V
06-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Its usually done with multiple players. It's a group game. But its a long game so only the best players have much of a chance at winning.