PDA

View Full Version : Strange Subway Experience

tdarko
04-22-2005, 12:05 AM
today my gf and i grabbed lunch at subway and the weirdest thing happened. we are waiting behind this yuppy lady and she asks the subway worker to pick the bread out of the loaf before they put her meat on it.

so basically it was just the top part of the bread and the inside was picked out. if i worked there i would have told the lady to do it herself, anyone else ever heard of this? seems like the weirdest thing to me.

anyone have any other stories about picky eaters too?

WSUchica
04-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Actually I used to deliver for Erberts and Gerberts...Its a place that sells sub sandwiches, and the insides are torn out of the sandwich just like you are describing. Then they set it on top of the sandwich and it's like really doughy bread. The customers love it.

Wierd though

InchoateHand
04-22-2005, 12:11 AM
She is a late-comer to the Atkins craze. Its hardly surprising, and Subway, for whatever reason, tends to be a particularly debasing service industry locale--they always seem soulless in there. So they probably don't mind making canoes laden with lunch meats as opposed to sandwiches.

In the Midwest, at Jimmy Johns, they have the "unwich"--sub fillings wrapped up in lettuce and paper, no bread.

Pretty stupid, in my opinion, but whatever folks want.

The Atkins diet definitely brought seemingly weird orders to the fore of the national consciousness--I distinctly remember a woman in front of me at a coffee shop announcing that she was "cheating." She ordered a croissant. To keep in the Atkins spirit of things, she asked for six pats of butter.

Edge34
04-22-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I used to deliver for Erberts and Gerberts...Its a place that sells sub sandwiches, and the insides are torn out of the sandwich just like you are describing. Then they set it on top of the sandwich and it's like really doughy bread. The customers love it.

Wierd though

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read any farther than this report and have to say - Erbert and Gerberts is the [censored]. I love this practice - so yeah, count me as one of those "customers who loves it".

As for the picky subway woman, she's wasting your time...

astroglide
04-22-2005, 12:13 AM
i don't really get what you're saying about the bread

slickpoppa
04-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Yuppy women are one of the lowest forms of life on the planet

InchoateHand
04-22-2005, 12:14 AM
They just left the crust was my interpretation.

ThaSaltCracka
04-22-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They just left the crust was my interpretation.

[/ QUOTE ]this was my guess, but I couldn't figure it out really either.

mmbt0ne
04-22-2005, 12:16 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
i don't really get what you're saying about the bread

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like 2 canoes of bread with stuff in between

tdarko
04-22-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like 2 canoes of bread with stuff in between

[/ QUOTE ]
what he said.

Stuey
04-22-2005, 12:28 AM
I am buying 2 subs one day. They are the same and after she put the mustard on she reaches for some other toppings. As she did this her breast dips into one of the subs. It was funny stuff and I didn't tell her about it. Just took my subs and left her there with a yellow boob.

So I tell my friend what happened, he is mad and does not want to eat the sub in question. I tell him I don't know which one it was. So he comes up with this idea that we should take one half of each sub. He figures this lowers his odds of getting the boobed sub!

So yah some people are picky eaters but most of the time you are just dealing with a dumb or crazy person. I keep asking this friend to start playing poker no luck so far.

ps It seemed to matter to him and I am sure some here want to know also. The lady was old and ugly but clean IMO. He might have ate both subs on me if it was a hottie I fear.

handsome
04-22-2005, 12:30 AM
I used to work at a deli and people have been doing this for ages. It's just preference, not picky at all IMO.

banditbdl
04-22-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that crap. I went to Erbert's and Gerbert's for the first time a month or so ago got my sandwich and found that rattyass little piece of bread sitting on top. I thought it was disgusting and was one of the dumbest gimmicks I'd ever seen. You are right in that most people seem to love it though....

tdarko
04-22-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
rattyass

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont think we use this word enough.

SCfuji
04-22-2005, 12:38 AM
crustless bread. they tear out the inside of the bread but that is the part they use. not the remnants.

IndieMatty
04-22-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
today my gf and i grabbed lunch at subway and the weirdest thing happened. we are waiting behind this yuppy lady and she asks the subway worker to pick the bread out of the loaf before they put her meat on it.

so basically it was just the top part of the bread and the inside was picked out. if i worked there i would have told the lady to do it herself, anyone else ever heard of this? seems like the weirdest thing to me.

anyone have any other stories about picky eaters too?

[/ QUOTE ]

meh not so weird. my friend go's to white castle and asks for no onions. (they are cooked on a bed of onions)_

tdarko
04-22-2005, 12:42 AM
that place everyone is talking about may do it this way but the lady today wanted the crust only and the spongy part ripped out.

tdarko
04-22-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
meh not so weird. my friend go's to white castle and asks for no onions. (they are cooked on a bed of onions)_

[/ QUOTE ]
this is just blind faith and not really picky, millions of people don't like onions but i know of now 1 person i have ever come across that does this with bread. i can't say that for anything else.

ChoicestHops
04-22-2005, 12:45 AM
I wouldnt blame her, half of a Subway sandwhich is bread. A large has around 4 oz of meat on it.

sfer
04-22-2005, 01:02 AM
Most bagel places in NYC will do this for you if you asked for your bagel scooped out.

BottlesOf
04-22-2005, 01:03 AM
As a Subway VIP cardholder, I cannot condone this. This woman should be banned.

bennyk
04-22-2005, 01:03 AM
less bread, less carbs
some places call this preperation "skinny"

bk

Yobz
04-22-2005, 01:11 AM
I just have my mommy cut the crust...er, inside... out.

ChoicestHops
04-22-2005, 01:11 AM
How about more meat, less bread?

zaxx19
04-22-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yuppy women are one of the lowest forms of life on the planet

[/ QUOTE ]

How yuppy women who drive audis and run marathons.....

Say hello to my cousins. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ulysses
04-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Most good places around here do that by default on sandwiches made with stuff other than sliced meat (ie: meatball sandwiches, fresh roasted turkey or chicken sandwiches, etc.).

Alobar
04-22-2005, 02:13 AM
When I was working at Pizza Hut, every so often wed get someone (was always a diff person) who wanted their pizza under cooked. They only wanted it cooked like a 1/3 of the the normal time. nasty

I also had several people who would want thier pizza with no cheese

touchfaith
04-22-2005, 02:21 AM
Did she tip?

Blarg
04-22-2005, 02:56 AM
I'm not surprised, what with the anti-carb diets popular now, that people ask for this.

What I think is really weird is the people going to Carls Jr. and ordering their breadless hamburgers. They're wrapped in a big piece of lettuce. I can't see what the point is, because the greasy meat is so fatty and unhealthy, the tiny buns it comes on are not the real problem. Not to mention, a piece of lettuce isn't going to keep whatever's in the sandwich from spilling and dripping all over the place.

GrekeHaus
04-22-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wierd though

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read any farther than this report and have to say - Erbert and Gerberts is the [censored]. I love this practice - so yeah, count me as one of those "customers who loves it".

[/ QUOTE ]

Same. Eat there about 3 times/week.

jakethebake
04-22-2005, 08:26 AM
When I was like 7 I ate dinner at my friend's house. We had spaghetti with French bread. That afternoon we ate the middle out of the French bread and glued the outer shell back so you couldn't tell. It was so good. When his mom cut it open she could tell. I don't think I was invited to dinner there again.

astroglide
04-22-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that place everyone is talking about may do it this way but the lady today wanted the crust only and the spongy part ripped out

[/ QUOTE ]

why didn't you just say crust-only in your original post instead of your confusing description and subsequent talk about 'canoes'?

i also order white castle burgers with no onions

asb165
04-22-2005, 01:00 PM
This is actually a technique taught by Weight Watchers to reduce calories. Hollowing out rolls, bagels, etc.