View Full Version : badly played set in a big pot

eviljeff
04-22-2005, 12:04 AM
pokerroom 2/4, no reads

hero is UTQ+1 w/ J/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
hero raises
villain UTG+2 3-bets
5 callers including hero

flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif
sb checks, bb checks, hero checks, Villain checks, button bets
sb folds, bb calls, hero raises, Villain 3-bets, everyone calls
(probably should have capped here despite the likelihood of AA)

turn: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
checked to button, who bets, all call
(horrible play, I know, I was waiting for a raise by villain)

river: Q/images/graemlins/club.gif
bb checks, hero...?

comments on all streets appreciated

thesharpie
04-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Cap preflop. I don't know whether capping the flop or waiting for the turn to check raise is best. Certainly don't check call the turn.

It looks like SB and BB are still in the hand by the river, yet you say the action is on you. Did they fold anywhere along the way?

SCfuji
04-22-2005, 12:33 AM
calling the 3-bet isnt bad but you missed out on a sb so you need to get that money back somewhere. a turn check raise would work nicely.

you are 2/3 the way there... complete the pseudo-trifecta on the river for kicks.

deception5
04-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Remember there are 6 combinations of AA and 16 combinations of AK both of which would play this way. Feel free to jam the pot as much as you can on the flop and turn. If he's still challenging you on the river then call. There's only one hand that's realistically beating you here (other than KT on the river) so play it like the nuts until you're sure it isn't.

aK13
04-22-2005, 01:29 AM
likelihood of AA? he could be 3betting with many more hands than AA (QQ, KK, AK, AQ). Bet this flop, if raised, I'd smooth call, then check/raise on the turn.

xenthebrain
04-22-2005, 02:48 AM
I cap JJ preflop, from there on I would lead any street myself.

Bodhi
04-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Cap the flop. Bet the turn. Bet the river.

You're not going to make enough money on these hands if you're afraid of AA.

Duerig
04-22-2005, 03:07 AM
I would cap preflop. Since you didn't, I like the check raise on the flop. Cap the flop. Since you didn't, I like the check raise on the turn. Since you didn't, bet the river. Wow I really don't like the way you played any of this hand. Sets are powerful, don't be so scurred.

P.S. I am drunk.

eviljeff
04-22-2005, 03:11 AM
I feared AA so much because I asked myself "what hands would a player 3-bet pf and then check/3-bet the flop?" the most likely hand I came up with was AA or maybe an overplayed AJ