PDA

View Full Version : Bad poker books

rallbritain
04-21-2005, 11:42 PM
I just got through reading some critisism about a McEnvoy article on CardPlayer, thae propted me to make this post.

When I first decided to play online was after a was killing a low stakes friendly game every week. But before venturing online I decided that i shoud read up on some strategy. So I went to the local book store and picked up the only to books that had NL Holdem info. Helmuth's Play poker like the pros and McEnvoy/Cloutier Championship NL holdem. In hind site i would have been better never purchasing these books, not to say i didn't learn a few good things but so many bad things.

They Helmuth book seemed like it was just trying to teach retards not to loose money.

The Cloutier/McEnvoy book I think failed to explain situations fully. I remeber one section where it said that AJ was a trash hand, with no information on the situation. There are situations where AJ can be tricky, like UTG at a full table with deep stacks. But there are many situations where this is a great hand, and for a beginer I think much of the information in this book only confused me.

After reading these books i went on to loose about $250 on PP of the $500 I won at my local friendly game. And also noticed I was not winning near as much at my local game. Once my local game fell apart I quit playing poker for about a year.

I slowy got back in online at the micro limits and started reading 2+2 forums and also picked up HOH vol. 1, I have to say the advice by 2+2, and HOH has dramaticaly improved my game. After a long time of not playing MTTs i decedice i would after i got won up to $200 from my intial deposit of $25 on UB. I played in a 30+3 and finished 16th out of over 400, when my KK lost to AQ in a bad way (xKx,J,T).

I was wondering if any of the MTT beginers have had trouble after picking up some bad books?

lfairban
04-22-2005, 04:08 AM
I can understand your feelings about the Helmuth book. It is just for beginners, and probably beneath the level you were at when you read it. I thought the animal analogy was cute.

As a beginner myself, I am amazed at how complicated Holdem is. What works in one situation fails you in another.

If I was writting a book for beginners, I am not sure I could do better than Helmuth. It was straightforward and easy to understand, unlike Sklansky (Holdem for Advanced Players), which is better more detailed information which is often hard to understand. But hey, the Sklansky book lead me here.

BTW: What is HOH?

gr8vertical
04-22-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW: What is HOH?

[/ QUOTE ]

Harrington on Hold'Em