PDA

View Full Version : Starting chips

Al P
04-21-2005, 10:48 PM

Patrick Duffy
04-21-2005, 10:53 PM
im not sure what youre referring to...

if you mean that should 10BB be considered a small stack at both party and stars, even thought they have very different starting chip amounts, then the rule should stay the same.

if you mean something different, then i vote you make yourself more clear...

Al P
04-21-2005, 11:01 PM
No, that's what I mean.

DasLeben
04-21-2005, 11:10 PM
It stays the same. There's no relation to starting stack sizes. It's all about being pot committed.

raptor517
04-21-2005, 11:11 PM
this idea is used in all forms of poker, and the reason it is used is because you cant make a raise then fold to a reraise, and you cant get a lot of play out of a hand with less than 10x. therefore, it works in a 1-2 NL game when you have 20 bucks just as well as a stt when you start with 10k chips and the blinds are 500-1000. it doesnt matter. and yes, there are situations, blah blah, where there are exceptions, blah. buuut, yea, it doesnt matter with the stack sizes in the beginning. holla

TruFloridaGator
04-21-2005, 11:13 PM
I understand, but I think it should be somewhat different, because if your up against a monster, monster stack on stars, a lot of people will be inclined to call your AI if you only have 1/6 or 1/7 of their stack. I think it should be somewhat different with bigger stacks. Not a lot, but partially. Maybe try & commit a bit sooner, but it still should be in relation to the blinds 95%.

DasLeben
04-21-2005, 11:15 PM
In that case, FE isn't really a concern (I think that's what you're referring to). It still goes back to the fact that if you raise and are reraised, you cannot simply fold your hand. Your chips are going in at some point, so the best place to do it is preflop.

Al P
04-21-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand, but I think it should be somewhat different, because if your up against a monster, monster stack on stars, a lot of people will be inclined to call your AI if you only have 1/6 or 1/7 of their stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts, and observation over hundreds of SnGs also. The large stack can often have 5-6x as many chips as I do and therefore his range of calling hands is usually extremely large.

TruFloridaGator
04-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Right which can be a good thing when waiting on a hand if you still have lots of blinds, however, if you are in push/fold mode, then a somewhat earlier commit is best.