PDA

View Full Version : We sure are lucky sometimes

Blarg
04-21-2005, 10:25 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0421.html#article

Saw this in the NY Times e-mail I got today. Mark Twain died this day. A long, interesting article.

The tributes to him were so genuine, believable, and heartfelt. They reminded me how lucky we are to have some artists and others who inspire us -- heck, maybe just moms or big brothers, whatever. It's amazing how much good can vanish and be lost, no matter how profound. And it's great that some of it still sticks around, helping us out, somehow miraculously defeating time and mattering anyway.

StevieG
04-21-2005, 11:04 PM
True

Twain should be on our money

Twain on poker:

[ QUOTE ]
There are few things that are so unpardonably neglected in our country as poker. The upper class knows very little about it. Now and then you find ambassadors who have sort of a general knowledge of the game, but the ignorance of the people is fearful. Why, I have known clergymen, good men, kind-hearted, liberal, sincere, and all that, who did not know the meaning of a "flush." It is enough to make one ashamed of one's species.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
04-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Heheh, what's not to love about the guy. It's great that someone like that came our way.