PDA

View Full Version : Cutting in Line

tech
04-21-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm at the grocery store, waiting behind 4-5 people in the self-checkout line. Just as a spot opens up, two guys about 16-17 years old come walking up and take the spot, bypassing everyone waiting in line, smirking as they walk up. It is clearly intentional on their part. No one else in line is going to say anything.

(a) Is it worth making a scene over this?
(b) If so, what's your opening line?

Results later.

Note: Each of these guys is about 5'8", 120 lbs. I am about 5'11", 230 lbs, 13% body fat.

sublime
04-21-2005, 06:47 PM
let it go, keep your zen state intact.

deacsoft
04-21-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
let it go, keep your zen state intact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Popinjay
04-21-2005, 06:50 PM
punch the [censored] out of them. or taser them if you have one.

no warnings necessary

spamuell
04-21-2005, 06:50 PM
In Britain, all the people in the queue would mutter to each other under their breath about the two boys but they wouldn't say anything to them.

This sucks, as long as you're not going to get beaten up, just politely say, "Excuse me, I believe there's a line."

dr_venkman
04-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Not sure what you mean by "make a scene". To me making a scene involves paramedics and lots of blood. Not worth it at all. If you're going to start a fight with two guys you're going to want to incapacitate one of them quickly. And you don't want to do that over a space in line do you?

naphinfitos
04-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Don't do a thing. Karma directly influences the number of coinflips you win. Take pleasure in knowing next time their AKs is all-in in a tourney it WILL get called by 22 and lose.

tech
04-21-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure what you mean by "make a scene"

[/ QUOTE ]

Just generally any type of argument/confrontation in which people stare.

tech
04-21-2005, 06:54 PM
What about the potentially positive karma of standing up for all the other people in line?

CheckFold
04-21-2005, 06:55 PM
I think the "excuse me guys, I think this guy/girl is next" followed by a swift kick to the kishkas would work fine.

Edge34
04-21-2005, 06:56 PM
"Excuse me kids...

BUT THERE IS A [censored] LINE HERE! IF YOU DON'T TAKE YOUR [censored] TO THE BACK OF IT IMMEDIATELY, I SWEAR ON ALL THAT IS HOLY I WILL INTRODUCE BOTH OF YOU TO PAIN, THE LIKES OF WHICH YOU HAVE NEVER FELT BEFORE AND WILL PRAY TO NEVER FEEL AGAIN!!!

Have a nice day."

If that doesn't work, nothing will... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[censored]
04-21-2005, 06:59 PM
You would be in the right if you said something, and the smirking would be justification.

However we're talking 1-2 minutes of time lost so letting it go is probably best.

brassnuts
04-21-2005, 07:02 PM
a) yes
b) something like, "get in the back of the [censored] line." said firmly, not yelling.

pacifism is over-rated you bunch of idle pansies.

B Dids
04-21-2005, 07:02 PM
It's probably best to never be in such a hurry that this bothers you. Just use this time to feel smug about the fact that you're not an [censored].

I've found that the few times I've seen this happen the clerks have told them that they have to go to the back of the line.

naphinfitos
04-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Your initial question was "Is it worth making a scene?" I think making a scene would hurt your karma. The only way you say anything is if you're confident you can get the young men to go to the back of the line, without embarassing them or yourself. Everything else is just neg EV because of the karma/coinflip relationship.

Catch of the Day
04-21-2005, 07:03 PM
I would def. say somthing. By not, your are just reinforcing their behavior. I would just try to be genuinely nice about it though. Something like:

"Hey guys, I am sure you didn't notice, but there's a few of us who are waiting in line for the next available register. Would you mind waiting your turn? Thanks guys."

Don't even give them a chance to respond, just walk up and proceed to check yourself out...Be assertive, but polite.

Catch-

blatz
04-21-2005, 07:24 PM
My standard method is to say something pointless, and unexpected that slams their ego.

This case maybe, "Just because your angry that your still a virgin, doesn't mean you should take it on on the nice lady you just cut in front of"

jaybee_70
04-21-2005, 07:27 PM
"why do you feel the need to cut everybody else in line?"

Don't have to make a big scene, just asking lets them know you know they're being asses.

Joe

thatpfunk
04-21-2005, 07:31 PM
I can't believe people are so passive. I am a peaceful guy but a simple "Uh, guys there's a line. He/she is next..." is easy and doesn't cause a scene. There sizes don't matter, are they gonna fight you over it?

Phoenix1010
04-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I would cause quite a scene.

Jazza
04-21-2005, 07:35 PM
lots of responses that use the word karma

IMO if you don't say anything you are being selfish

you have to say something, not for your own benefit, but for the others in line

tech
04-21-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There sizes don't matter, are they gonna fight you over it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen people fight over much less than this. Obviously I wouldn't want a physical confrontation, but anytime you say something like that to strangers (especially adolescent males), you have to at least accept that "F*** you, what are you gonna do about it?" is a real possibility for the response.

Oh, and size DOES matter. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Los Feliz Slim
04-21-2005, 07:59 PM
If it bothers you, say something.

If it doesn't, don't.

Personally, I would ABSOLUTELY say something, and would be prepared to pursue it up to, but not including physical confrontation. It's the principle of the matter, I hate people who are that inconsiderate. My line is "The line starts back there." Loud.

SpearsBritney
04-21-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am about 5'11", 230 lbs, 13% body fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get me some clean Dianabol?

DBowling
04-21-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am about 5'11", 230 lbs, 13% body fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get me some clean Dianabol?

[/ QUOTE ]

he's 13% bf, what do you need dianabol for?

DcifrThs
04-21-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm at the grocery store, waiting behind 4-5 people in the self-checkout line. Just as a spot opens up, two guys about 16-17 years old come walking up and take the spot, bypassing everyone waiting in line, smirking as they walk up. It is clearly intentional on their part. No one else in line is going to say anything.

(a) Is it worth making a scene over this?
(b) If so, what's your opening line?

Results later.

Note: Each of these guys is about 5'8", 120 lbs. I am about 5'11", 230 lbs, 13% body fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

"excuse me sonny. there are rules here. i didn't watch my buddies die face down in the muck to see two little scrubs like you cut infront of decent orderly citizens. "

thats how you should handle it if you felt like it.

personally ,i let it go...not a big deal and boys will be boys
-Barron

chesspain
04-21-2005, 08:14 PM
When people cut in front of me in line (as compared to walking up to a newly opened line), I say with authority as I swing my head behind me, "Hey chief, the line ends there."

Fabian
04-21-2005, 08:15 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
lots of responses that use the word karma

[/ QUOTE ]

This was what I was going to say.

To the OP, I think you should say something in a somewhat polite way.

Shajen
04-22-2005, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
results later

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it later yet?

Bulldog
04-22-2005, 08:27 AM
If a new checkout lane opened and they got there first, they didn't cut. You just move too slowly.

BigD226
04-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Normally I'd politely but firmly say "excuse me, but the line is back here", and I'm a fairly big dude so chances are good it would end right there without any problems.

But one thing I really can't stand in this world is little punk kids like that, especially the wanna-be "gangsta" types...so in this situation I'd probably be a lot more aggressive before I thought about it. Something along the line of "Hey, f***head, what do you think you're doing?" /images/graemlins/smile.gif Sometimes the temper just rears its ugly head.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-22-2005, 02:16 PM
IN Heinlein's novels, the Moon Colony had a great law. If someone cut in line, anyone in the line could kill the line jumper and there would be no legal ramifications.

TANSTAAFL /images/graemlins/cool.gif

junkmail3
04-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Check this out (I know it's been posted before, but I can't find it) (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pizzaparlorbrawl.html)

This guy wasn't happy that some girl cut in front of him.

tech
04-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Me: Hey guys, you need to wait in line like everyone else.

Them: Mind your own business.

Me: It IS my business.

They stare at me for about 5 seconds, look at each other, look back at me, then walk to the back of the line.

Happy ending, but I did not feel good about it. I spoke up before I really thought much about it, and in retrospect I'm not convinced it was worth the potential confrontation. Thanks for the replies.

tech
04-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Four years -- yikes!

tech
04-22-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it later yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

banditbdl
04-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I'd say you handled this about perfectly. These kids are unlikely to throw down with anybody in the middle of the grocery store. They'll either

a) go to the back of the line right away (likely with a snide comment under their breath on the way which you can just ignore)

or

b) give you one smart-aleck remark and then back down when you call them for it like you did here.

They are young, small, and in the wrong. Moreover, they know and recognize that their cutting in line was wrong, if they didn't know what they were doing was wrong they wouldn't have smirked while they did it. If they had cut in line with a look of entitlement or utter lack of emotion this might have changed the situation. Plus, the fact that you are in a grocery store here is a HUGE benefit for you in maintaining your goal of avoiding a full-scale confrontation.

BellyBuster7
04-22-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me: Hey guys, you need to wait in line like everyone else.

Them: Mind your own business.

Me: It IS my business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni han. Well played on every street.

IsaacW
04-22-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My standard method is to say something pointless, and unexpected that slams their ego.

This case maybe, "Just because your angry that your still a virgin, doesn't mean you should take it on on the nice lady you just cut in front of"

[/ QUOTE ]
You are a master, the implied tilt odds of this play are huge.