PDA

View Full Version : mentality for a 2/3 blind structure compared to a 1/2

cpitt398
04-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi, this is my first post here. I have been playing poker for about 2 years now semi seriously. As of late it has become more serious and a viable source of additional income and somewhat neccersary to sustain the goals finiancially (reasonable goals)I have set for myself.
I have moved from mainly multi tabling low limit online and occasionaly playing low limit live (just to get out of the house)to the 15 30 game at the Bellagio. I have only played a 3 times thus far and am up about 400 dollars. I definitly think it is a beatable game for my playing style and ability but I have a question.
What changes should I make to adapt to the 2/3 (10-15) blind structure as oppossed to the 1/2 blind structure I am used to. Naturally playing higher limits and playing a lot less hands , each hand means more to me than before, so my goal is to play each hand as perfect as possible. I know that each game should be played the same but it is easier to make up for 1 bet mistakes in lower limits when there are multible people in each hand making the pots big enough to make a session profitable even after making small mistakes.
My worry is leaking money out of the blinds or not making the right decisions to make the blinds as profitable as possible. What was a difference of about 20-30 dollars now becomes 100-200. My tendancies towards blinds: I actually look foward to the blinds as my chance to outplay opponents or trap them with a big hand. I actually depend on this to keep my stack even while not getting hands to play. I think I might be calling too many raises though, making my sessions totally dependant on whether my blind defences go well or not. I tend to be more comfortable calling raises with small (live) cards than hands like QJ. I absolutly hate to look down and see a hand like A5. If I called some hands with live cards and all hands with an Ace or two paints I know I would be spewing away to much money. Whats my optimum play here?
Sorry so long. Would appreciate any advice from mid to high stakes players who have experience in games with a simialar structure (aggresive preflop - but not neccesarily too tight).
Thanks in advance

antifish225
04-22-2005, 08:42 AM
One of the biggest changes is that you should be seeing a flop with almost ANY two cards in the SB if it is not raised (and assuming that the BB is not a frequent rasier in this position), you are getting incredible odds for the extra $5 it costs you (and from you post I assume that you are a solid post flop player who can get away from a top pair no kicker hand if the action heats up) - other than that the changes should not be too dramatic as once facing a raise (or a re-raise) the odds that you are getting are dramitically decreased (ie 5 players with no raise - it is costing you $5 and there is already $85 in the pot = 17 x 1 odds for the call.....5 players to a raise is costing you $20 and there is $160 in the pot = 8 x 1 odds - you can take a shot with almost any two getting 17 to one, 8 x 1 is a differnt story).....

YoureToast
04-22-2005, 08:55 AM
I think one of the things the 2/3 blind structure does is discourage EP and MP limpers. For this reason, as well as the fact that players at 15/30 are generally better and more aggressive, you will find many few chances to limp on the SB. However, when you get that chance, take it with 72o.

The other thing I think is generally true is that if its folded to the SB and the SB limps, its a pretty safe bet to raise if your in the BB with almost anything. You'll get a lot of SBs folding in this situation and I think its generally a +EV play.

By the way, I don't like the 2/3 structure and wish Party would change it to 1/2 structure -- I would like to see a little less preflop raising so I can limp with limping hands against fish.