PDA

View Full Version : Smiley Central

wacki
04-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm at work, so I can't run this right now, but this looks like something that could be used and abused.

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZNxdm006

[censored]
04-21-2005, 06:21 PM
too much spyware comes with for me

wacki
04-21-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
too much spyware comes with for me

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.funwebproducts.com/eula_1104/index.html

THE SOFTWARE IS SPYWARE FREE AND NO REGISTRATION OR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS REQUIRED FOR USE.

I wonder what the catch is though. There has to be something.

wacki
04-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Ugh....

Just found it.

When you visit the Web Sites, we may place a small text file-called a "cookie"-on your computer that allows us to identify your Web browser. We use cookies to improve the quality of our service, and to store your preferences and settings. Importantly, a cookie does not allow us to obtain any personally identifiable information (such as your real name or address) unless you have specifically provided such information when using the Web Sites or the Software.

We also capture your source IP address which is a standard practice for most internet sites. We in no way associate your IP address with any cookies and do not use your IP address in conjunction with any personally identifiable information.

Also:

The Software, in the course of processing a given search query, sends a request to our servers. This request includes the keyword query, time of day, browser type, default language setting, IP address, an anonymous unique ID, and a code which identifies the distribution source of the Software used by you to conduct your search. If the search query is being generated as the result of a misspelled URL or search term entered in to the browser address bar, we also receive the misspelled URL address or search term. We use this information in order to properly process your search request. For example, this data provides us with: information on which language you prefer to use; aggregated click information for the purpose of ensuring that our search partners are appropriately compensating us; information that allows us to make accurate payments to our distributors; aggregated usage and retention information; and aggregated search query information for the purpose of further monetizing commercially oriented search keywords.

I wonder how that's now spyware?

That sounds a bit too misleading to me.

[censored]
04-21-2005, 06:45 PM
I agree it is misleading. I refer to any piggybacked download apart from the desired product as spyware which it technically isn't. This one also comes with that mysearch crap which I hate.

wacki
04-21-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This one also comes with that mysearch crap which I hate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh... I didn't catch that. Well I'm glad I posted before I tried it out on my home computer. Too bad, I like smileys.