PDA

View Full Version : $55 level 4 JJ

Scuba Chuck
04-21-2005, 05:43 PM
The only read, if you can call it that, is that villain liked to play a lot of pots. I can't remember how he built his stack, as I was four tabling.

Anyway, my gut instincts said that villain had neither a Queen, nor two spades. But....

Anyhow, in retrospect, I think I should have raised more preflop. Any other thoughts on any street?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t775)
SB (t2128)
BB (t1840)
UTG (t2000)
UTG+1 (t705)
MP1 (t890)
Hero (t1137)
CO (t525)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls t100.

Flop: (t375) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, UTG calls t200.

Turn: (t775) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t200</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t975

The Yugoslavian
04-21-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, my gut instincts said that villain had neither a Queen, nor two spades. But....

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to play JJ this way @ this point in the game at level 3 (although your title was level 4...I got all excited and then felt let down, /images/graemlins/frown.gif ), then I suggest you go with this feeling and play it out.

Otherwise, I suggest a different plan for playing JJ on level 3.

Yugoslav
Also, what's up with you and JJ? Have you been reading too many of Jackpot Jay's earlier columns?

ferb
04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
i think i raise 200-225 preflop. flop bet seems a little small. maybe a full pot bet to protect against the flush draw. if your gut told you he wasn't on spades it seems like a weak fold for 200.

Scuba Chuck
04-21-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if your gut told you he wasn't on spades it seems like a weak

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the gut isn't always right. I think the gut has two modes. Sometimes it's "in the zone." Other times it feels what it wants to feel (which is I'm always right).

I guess, I am kind of leaning towards being happy with the fold. I was able to get second place with this stack after folding. But, of course, even that might be a little results oriented.

Anyway, here's a great example where I am chastised for not making a pot sized bet on the flop, but in other hands, it's approprite to bet 1/2 - 3/4 pot.

JasonP530
04-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Scuba,

When you only make it 150, he is getting almost 3-1 to call you preflop. That type of raise is inviting a call, one which you dont necessarily want for that few chips. There arent so many good flops with JJ and you would like to make him pay to hit, especially if he is a little wild and you may have trouble judging exactly where he is(easier to see you may have that problem in retrospect). I like the half pot on the flop, he either has something or he doesnt, and let it play from there. I wouldnt think he had spades, perhaps a Q or a 7 with a decent flush draw.

beeyjay
04-21-2005, 09:10 PM
I would limp preflop. I think you're right that you were beaten when he bet into you though. That whole impetus nonsense.

ferb
04-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Scuba, i think the board texture and the fact that the flop isn't too bad for jj would lead me make a pot sized bet. i want a flush chaser having to pay the max here. you price him in to hit his flush. cheers.

pooh74
04-21-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if your gut told you he wasn't on spades it seems like a weak

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the gut isn't always right. I think the gut has two modes. Sometimes it's "in the zone." Other times it feels what it wants to feel (which is I'm always right).

I guess, I am kind of leaning towards being happy with the fold. I was able to get second place with this stack after folding. But, of course, even that might be a little results oriented.

Anyway, here's a great example where I am chastised for not making a pot sized bet on the flop, but in other hands, it's approprite to bet 1/2 - 3/4 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never chastise you for that...I would rather push this flop than make a pot sized bet.

Yugo made a good point...at some point JJ becomes not some girl you feel up in a dark alley outside a club, but instead, a girl you gotta bring home to momma.

Phil Van Sexton
04-21-2005, 10:34 PM
I like raising to 200 or 250 preflop. `If he still calls and checks the flop, I push.