PDA

View Full Version : The Dishes

bennyk
04-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Three room mates share an apartment. Since all of them work freelance, it is not uncommon for one or more to spend a week or more without working (but working a reasonable amount at home). When they do work, it is typically a very intense schedule (16 hrs/day for 10 days to 3 weeks).

[censored]
04-21-2005, 05:38 PM
You either all need to not give a [censored], or each needs to do his dishes immediately after use.

scrub
04-21-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Three room mates share an apartment. Since all of them work freelance, it is not uncommon for one or more to spend a week or more without working (but working a reasonable amount at home). When they do work, it is typically a very intense schedule (16 hrs/day for 10 days to 3 weeks).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so much easier to live with people who aren't pricks and will just pitch in when they see stuff that needs to be done.

scrub

bennyk
04-21-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You either all need to not give a [censored], or each needs to do his dishes immediately after use.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like this falls under the 4th option...but yeah
bk

bennyk
04-21-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's so much easier to live with people who aren't pricks and will just pitch in when they see stuff that needs to be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's usually how things worked here, but for some reason there has been a change. but if that's the case, each should be responsible for 1/3.

bk

TimM
04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I will never have roommates. I would be the guy who does the stuff that needs to be done, and the others would take advantage.

fluxrad
04-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Honestly what you should do is have each guy share a rotating schedule, with each person doing *all* the dishes for their assigned day or time.

Otherwise, each person is really only responsible for their dishes.

bennyk
04-21-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly what you should do is have each guy share a rotating schedule, with each person doing *all* the dishes for their assigned day or time.

[/ QUOTE ]

everyone's work schedule kinda complicates this...besides it would not look good to have a "dish assignment" calendar hanging in the apt.

bk

bennyk
04-21-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I will never have roommates. I would be the guy who does the stuff that needs to be done, and the others would take advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is typically true. everyone who thinks that its cool and just "pitches in" when things need to get done is really living with roomates who hate the fact that they always have to clean the toilet and scrub the damn shower.

bk

Freakin
04-21-2005, 05:52 PM
I lived with 6 lazy disgusting roommates. We tried 2 methods

1: Each roommate cleans what he uses immediately after use
2: A set schedule for dishes, where each person gets one day and they are responsible for all the dishes.

Neither worked, they were just too lazy. We eventually implemented "Operation Big Boy" where we poured a bunch of bleach into the clogged sink full of food and dishes to get rid of some of the smell, then threw away all of our "big boy" dishes cause we obviously weren't responsible enough to use them. We went with paper plates & bowls, keg cups, and plastic silverware.

I never had a problem doing my share of the work, but my roommates didn't understand the concept of picking up after themselves. I moved out and got a place by myself....

Freakin

bennyk
04-21-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Operation Big Boy"

[/ QUOTE ]

this is hilarious.

bk

swede123
04-21-2005, 05:57 PM
If three grown men can't handle a pretty basic task like this you guys really need professional help. In other words just hire a maid. Get someone to come a couple of times a week to do dishes, clean up some etc.

Swede

The Dude
04-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Just load the dishes into the dishwasher as you go.

Yobz
04-21-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If three grown men can't handle a pretty basic task like this you guys really need professional help. In other words just hire a maid. Get someone to come a couple of times a week to do dishes, clean up some etc.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

How much would this cost...my roommates and I qualify as the laziest people on Earth (and yet continually mad at each other for not doing the dishes)

bennyk
04-21-2005, 06:02 PM
nevermind.

bk

JTG51
04-21-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just wash them by hand as you go. How long does it take to wash a plate, a fork, and a pan? A minute and a half?

Piling dirty dishes up in the sink is just dumb and lazy.

[censored]
04-21-2005, 06:10 PM
I implemented an "operation big boy" myself a little over a year ago. I haven't looked back.

bennyk
04-21-2005, 06:10 PM
i thought it would have been obvious that there is no dishwasher.

[ QUOTE ]

Or just wash them by hand as you go. How long does it take to wash a plate, a fork, and a pan? A minute and a half?

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly, not long.
bk

Freakin
04-21-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That usually doesn't solve the problems for some people. We attempted that, and
a) People were unwilling to unload the dishwasher when it was full
b) People did not understand how to use a dishwasher. They would leave tons of food on their plates, including chicken bones and toothpicks... the dishwasher broke and we left it full of dirty dishes when we moved out.... Our landlord has threatened to sue, but the roommate he threatened was too lazy to respond. No word since.

Freakin

swede123
04-21-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't know how much a professional maid might cost, probably 20 bucks an hour or so. However, if you're in college or living somewhere with younger people around you can usually get someone to do this kind of crap work for 10 bucks an hour under the table. You'd be amazed how many people out there are willing to do something like cleaning an apartment for a quick 10 or 20 bucks.

Swede

deacsoft
04-21-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
each needs to do his dishes immediately after use.

[/ QUOTE ]