PDA

View Full Version : University of California Police Brutality Video(X-post from the zoo)

PITTM
04-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Students at my school were protesting the recent finding that the University of California system has hidden 227 million dollars to divide amongst their regents instead of use FOR OUR TEACHERS that are underpaid and are facing outrageously large class sizes. The video was shot on the evening of Monday, April 19th, after the chancellor called the police and demanded that protestors be forcefully removed from the school's(that the students pay for) lawn. Watch for yourself...

http://santacruz.indymedia.org/feature/display/17074/index.php

rj

i normally wouldnt post something like this but the police being coerced into commiting brutality on students(who at the same time, happen to be customers of BOTH of the opressing parties) so that the regents of the university of california can keep taxpayer money that is supposed to be going to the schools. One government agency commiting brutality to cover up the blatent fraud of another agency is inexcusable.

PITTM
04-21-2005, 05:24 PM
http://santacruz.indymedia.org/newswire/display/17436/index.php

Hasso
04-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Some fool students are beaten for whining about something of small importance . I for one am very happy about this.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BCPVP
04-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Why were the cops making the students make funny faces?
Were they pushing on their jaw? I couldn't tell.
Those cops need to learn how to properly apply nerve and joint holds, cuz some of them were doing an awful job. Like the cop trying to twist the guy's wrist! Pathetic. He should try a sankyo. Or hadaka jime till they pass out and then drag them out.

Somehow, I don't think we're getting the full story...

Bodhi
04-27-2005, 12:47 PM
I grew up in Santa Cruz, so I recognize those parts of campus in the video--shocking. I also have never understood why the UC regents receive such bloated paychecks, and now I read that they're stealing? Welcome to the Police State, where corrupt institutions use the police as a shield and weapon against just individuals. I don't care if people think the protesters are dirty hippes or whatever (they're really future scientists, engineers, psychologists, lawyers etc.); anyone who witnesses these sorts of events should fear the irrationality of their government.

Bodhi
04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
You are a fool and a pawn if you believe that the State deserves this kind of authority. I am dead serious.

flub
05-02-2005, 11:52 PM
I don't know how true the story is, but 227 mil is worth a lot of whining about.

-f

Edge34
05-03-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some fool students are beaten for whining about something of small importance . I for one am very happy about this.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't quite right, but you're close...

To all kinds of people these days, anything physical is "brutality". Some of the people on the website the link initially leads to are talking about filing lawsuits against the school and the police...which are a farce, to say the least.

From what I've gathered, the students had a curfew set for their little demonstration. After staying well past that curfew, the police were called in to enforce it, and to arrest the offenders. Criminal Justice system in action folks. They were warned at least twice (even by one of the organizers' account) and then were removed. Nobody was beaten. Nobody was harmed beyond being restricted to enable removal. Its beyond clear that the students chose to resist arrest and, lets not kid ourselves here, the "peaceful" students sure as hell didn't sound peaceful yelling things like "[censored] you" and "I hate you" at the officers there. Excellent editing by the recorder to make a one-sided film that doesn't show anything NEAR the entire story.

I'm all for free speech and everything, and there wasn't one bit of brutality here. It merely appears to me that the kids who decided they were going to go on their own agenda and "accept" being arrested couldn't handle it once it happened.

Show me ONE student being beaten, then maybe we'll talk. Until then, these people need to get their stuff in line.

nothumb
05-03-2005, 12:52 AM
1. Some of these chants are pretty weak.

2. These cops are more or less incompetent. What is the point of putting someone in a hold like this? You can just start ripping them off the ground one by one with probably three officers. Step on fingers or assign someone to hit pressure points if people try to hold on to the students.

This is clearly an organized policy this department has for removing someone under arrest... it's ridiculous and useless and ineffective and does constitute brutality IMHO. Basically they are using pain to try and force submission, the only justifiable application of pain in an arrest situation is to extract or subdue the offender. Since these students don't need to be subdued, only extracted, this tactic was lousy and probably not justified.

However, we don't have a whole video. I was surprised that so many cameras were allowed to film, I guess there were just so many that they couldn't get them out. Or else the police were of the opinion that this was fully within procedure and decided to allow it to be filmed (this would surprise me though).

The college administrators are the clear scumbags here. To those who think the students should just get up and leave at the end of their scheduled protest time... how do you think they're going to get the school to return the money? They have a legitimate cause to be extremely angry here. Thirty-five years ago this whole school would have been occupied and locked down. This is really tame.

NT

Edge34
05-03-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the only justifiable application of pain in an arrest situation is to extract or subdue the offender

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Since these students don't need to be subdued, only extracted, this tactic was lousy and probably not justified.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) You just contradicted yourself.

2) Someone please tell me where the "brutality" is here. The students may be sore for a few minutes, but they had their warnings to leave the area and decided instead to be even louder. They got what they asked for, time to deal with it.

nothumb
05-03-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) You just contradicted yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how. I said that inflicting pain is justified in one (or both) of the following circumstances:

1. To subdue a violent/out of control person who is being taken into custody.

2. In the actual process of extracting someone from a situation and placing them in custody.

Since these students were passively resisting, #1 does not apply. And my point is, choke holds like those displayed do not effectively extract these students. It is an arbitrary and punitive use of force rather than an effective one. My point was that, from the incomplete information we have, it appears to be poor policy and tactics. Look at my post again, it's all there.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Someone please tell me where the "brutality" is here. The students may be sore for a few minutes, but they had their warnings to leave the area and decided instead to be even louder. They got what they asked for, time to deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So because a person does not experience ongoing physical injury, it shouldn't count? Law enforcement officials are not authorized to mete out PUNISHMENT to anyone without due process of law... my point is that, as an ineffective police tactic, these holds could be argued to constitute punishment, not law enforcement, because they do not really further the enforcement directive of removing the offenders.

These students did not get 'what they asked for.' They asked their university to fairly and faithfully administer the school's funds, and I assume they have not yet achieved this goal. If you look at this whole situation, the police force is acting as a goon squad for an elite group of academics and administrators looking to swindle a veritable fortune from rank-and-file educators. Honestly I think the most ethical thing a cop could do in this situation is refuse to break up the demonstration.

This basically reinforces the position that state power (i.e. police and army power) is enlisted to protect money and its holders, not the populace.

NT

BCPVP
05-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Nothumb's right about these holds not working. Like I said, you can't passively resist a well-applied sankyo. You just can't. Looks like these cops need to do a lot of brushing up on their holds/chokes.

Whether they constitute punishment, I can't say. They just weren't being applied well, and resistance always tweaks how you apply such techniques.

I don't have a good grasp on what exactly happened and specifically why the police were summoned so I won't comment on whether they should have been there or not.

lehighguy
05-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Forgive me ignorance..what's a regent?