PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Interested in Tournaments

Student
04-21-2005, 04:53 PM
My interest in NL HE tournaments springs from watching poker on TV, so what else is new? I've enjoyed TV poker for years, and now I've spent $201 on some of the best poker books, have done about two weeks penance in freeplay ring games on PokerStars, have read lots of posts on 2+2 and all the Internet Magazine articles from Feb thru April, and the covers of the aforementioned books. On April 6th I started playing 1 cent/2 cents poker on PokerStars, real cash!

I'd started with $50 on PokerStars, and my experience with 1,274 hands played has been up and down. Actually, I won $1 the first day, and was feeling pretty proud! But this was short-lived, as my account drifted down to just below $42 before the slide hauled. Then I went to about $49.39, and back to about $43.40. Then it was back to $49.27, and to $43.54. Most of these numbers are approximate, though they sure do look accurate!

This morning (and I have not played today) I'm at $48.48. I'm looking at my track record, and I think I might be harboring some psychological barriers to the idea of actually making money, playing poker! My method is to read and play: read, play, read, play, etc. I say I'm teaching my subconscious to learn poker, and it seems to be working! I'm more confident about poker this morning (after winning $3.40 on 152 hands and 4 sessions, yesterday), than ever before. It's starting to make a little sense to me, compared to the strange notions about poker I'd obtained watching TV!

Enough background, so now I'll focus on tournaments. At the top of my reading list is "Harrington on Hold'em." Actually there are 4 other books awaiting reading, before I even get to tournament-related books I own. I'll mention these 4 titles later, if someone asks. Meanwhile, I have Cloutier et al, "Championship Hold'em" and Sklansky, "Tournament Poker for Advanced Players." They would be read in that order, at a later time.

Obviously I believe strongly in the idea of learning at the lowest levels, and then moving carefully up the ladder of levels. PokerStars doesn't seem to have very low-stakes NL HE tournaments for 1 table or 2. I think they never drop below $5 + $0.50 for single tables, and that's not what I had in mind. $1 entry fee single-table tournaments would be OK, and 50 cents would be even better.

Then too, in this competitive world, I'm sure there are poker sites that cater to this need! After all, beginners need to practice in real-cash tournaments, yet low-stakes is the key for me, and I suspect it's key for many, eh? But the only way one can find these low-stakes tournaments is to load software from all these poker sites, or else learn this from the friendly folks on the 2+2 Tournament Forum. So that's my need, and that's where I need some help! Thanks in advance!

Dave

LetYouDown
04-21-2005, 05:00 PM
First of all, ignore almost everything you see on television. Most of the time it's shorthanded play against extremely good opponents. Their moves will get you eaten alive at a "No Fold Em" game. That said, I didn't even realize .01/.02 was a legitimate limit that could be found. How do they rake that? LOL.

Kidding aside, not sure where you're going to find tournaments that low. It's not overly profitable. If you can afford a bankroll of $50...why not take a shot at the $5 tournaments? It can't be *that* far out of your bankroll standards. I say roll up the stakes and go to vegas buddy! If not, why not keep grinding it out at the limits you're playing until you can afford a $5+1?

If you've read/understood those books, you're miles ahead of the average $5+1 player out there.

Slim Pickens
04-21-2005, 05:19 PM
It sounds like you've got the right attitude about playing. I started taking SNG poker semi-seriously when I realized I could actually make money just for being smarter than people like my idiot friends, with whom I had mutually agreed to never play blackjack again after a heated argument about the nature of random processes and my insistence on "taking the dealer's bust card," or something like that. Anyway, I digress.

It seems like you're looking to get over a bit of a bankroll hump. I would guess that most, if not all, successful SnG players play at a level far above where they could afford to play when they started. That's the result of success. Your problem is that the 5+1's or 5+0.50's are about as low as you can possibly start if ever want to make any money at this before the poker-boom/fad ends, and as low as you can go before the play deteriorates so far as to no longer resemble poker in any way. So here's my question about that $50 bankroll of yours. If you lost it, would you be financially and psychologically able to deposit another $50 next month?

Slim

Geordie Ramone
04-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Pacific Poker $2.50 + 25c 5 handed SnGs. The worst software you will ever find but also some of the worst players. They also have a £2.00 +20c two table SnG. If you have the patience they must be the easiest way to build a BR

JP Rocks
04-21-2005, 05:33 PM
They have $1+0.1 sngs on UB, which are pretty useful to take up time while wading through the first 2 hours of a MTT. Also, the play isnt doo dissimilar to the $5+0.5 and the $10+1, so its a pretty good practice field.

Student
04-21-2005, 05:36 PM
I continue to enjoy watching TV poker, and I suspect I'm not the only poker player who does!

The rake is 5% at PokerStars, but for 1/2 cents poker they charge nothing until dollar intervals. Examples: 99 cent pot - 0 rake; $1.00 pot - 5 cents rake; $1.93 pot - 5 cents rake; $2.07 pot - 10 cents rake etc. They also have 5/10 cents NL HE, 10/25 cents, 25/50 cents, 50/100 cents etc.

It's not what I'm able to afford. After all I spent $201 on books right off. I feel as though I learned 30% of what it's possible to do playing freeplay, will learn 35% more with 1/2 cents poker, and the rest of the 35% will be spread over a lifetime, and poker at all higher levels. When I've played 100,000 hands (at any level), much of the remaining 35% that it's possible to learn will be in the bag. Of course, being of retirement age, I expect to forget the stuff as quickly as I learn it, even at a fairly low level. So I might be playing 1/2 cents poker 10 years from now!

But what I'm trying to do is find the sites that have NL HE tournaments for low-stakes, however "low-stakes" is defined.

Thanks for the response!

Dave

Student
04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks for your cheerful support!

Yes, I can come up with $50/month for my poker hobby. I'm reluctant to do it, given that I haven't actually learned of any really low-stakes NL HE tournaments. I know that PokerStars has games scheduled for $1, and $0 entry fee, both Saturday and Sunday morning (here in the Rockie Mountains). It will be a tournament with thousands of entrants, and will probably be 4 to 5 hours of play. When I first went to PokerStars, I joined a freeplay tournament, and this tournament was limited to the first 6,000 entrants. The tournament filled, and I played my very first poker against all these people. I wasn't impressed that 2,300 of them left the tournament before I did!

A few days later I played a 3-table freeplay tournament, and this time I came out 5th, and hence won some free chips! I noticed your observation about the predicted end of the present poker boom. That's interesting... Gee, I hope it doesn't die before I do, but I suspect you believe it won't be long-lived.

When would I logically bite the bullet and start playing $5 + 50 cents poker? Presently (yesterday, for example), I win at a rate of about $1/hour (at 1/2 cents poker, if you can believe that!). I played 152 hands, won $3.40 (170 BBs), and scored 112 BB/100 during these sessions. Now then, that said, then I'll have a losing day, like today. Some call it variance, fluctuation, bobbing-and-weaving, statistical standard deviations etc. Let's say I join this huge $1 + 0 tournament Saturday. They'll probably have 5,300 entrants, and give about 530 prizes. The minimum prize will be maybe $1.34. If I get in the money it will be a thrill, and it will be akin to playing 1/2 cents NL HE ring games. Importantly, it will be tournaments, and that's where I aspire!

Dave

Student
04-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Nice source, and I suspect I have the software uploaded to my computer already! Thanks...

Now, would you mind telling me what "sng" and "MTT" stand for? Appreciate it!

Dave

illab
04-21-2005, 06:05 PM
sng=sit n' go (the tournament has no starting time, just begins when the preset numbers of seats are filled)

mtt=multi table tournament, as opposed to stt, a single table tournament

Student
04-21-2005, 06:09 PM
I really appreciate it! I fear most of us just quietly permit ourselves to go on with subpar communication established, because of the sea of acronyms we swim in. I'll try to remember those.

Dave

Misfire
04-21-2005, 06:13 PM
I recommend the $1+.10 SNG's on UB. $50 bankroll would be plenty. Also, you might want to check the 2+2 classifieds and get a free $50 account on Party and just jump in (and if you lose it, hell, it was free money anyway).

sturips
04-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Royal Vegas poker - have 75c + 25c and $2 + 20c STT's in 10, 5 max and turbo variants. They also give you $10 free for signing up and a 40% first deposit bonus which might help your roll. The software is mediocre but the level of play is pretty poor.

good luck

Slim Pickens
04-21-2005, 06:32 PM
forum jargon (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1907777&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

Student
04-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks! I've checked it out. I don't know why I didn't press on "SNG" a lot sooner. Lazy, I guess!

Dave

Student
04-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Appreciate it! Especially since the UB poker site has been recommended by another, so now I'm sure it's a good place. When you're playing 1/2 cents poker, bonuses are a goal long distant in the future. I'm pretty sure I've been in hands where rake has soared to as much as a nickle, or even a dime, but earning a $10 bonus would require about a million hands of play, at my present rate. After all, it's been 16 days of playing for me, and just over 1,300 hands. See my plight?

Dave

Student
04-21-2005, 06:44 PM
I'll sure take a look at RoyalVegas pokersite, and thanks!

It seems to be what I want, eh?

Dave

Freudian
04-21-2005, 06:52 PM
You just need to get over the hump. After you build your bankroll to a suitable level you can use bonuses (on Party/Empire) to their fullest.

Slim Pickens
04-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Your goals may be different than the majority of posters on this forum. I started out playing SnG's just trying to maximize my funEV and quickly found, given my personal psychological makeup, that funEV=$EV. If this is not the case for you than a lot of what's posted here won't apply to you.

SLim

gumpzilla
04-21-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your goals may be different than the majority of posters on this forum. I started out playing SnG's just trying to maximize my funEV and quickly found, given my personal psychological makeup, that funEV=$EV. If this is not the case for you than a lot of what's posted here won't apply to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent point. You'll find that most people recommend playing at Party,playing a certain style and playing as many tables as you can. These suggestions are geared towards maximizing earn. But you may not enjoy the style of play that this leads to. After you've played a few tournaments, you'll figure out what you like and dislike about them, and at that time you can nose around and see if particular places offer structures that you like more than the others. Full Tilt SNGs and PokerStars SNGs have a lot of differences from Party SNGs, for example.

Student
04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
I have to get into winning poker first, is my guess. Won't play in tournaments require more skill than the 1/2 cents ring games I've been playing? Thanks in advance!

Dave

Freudian
04-21-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to get into winning poker first, is my guess. Won't play in tournaments require more skill than the 1/2 cents ring games I've been playing? Thanks in advance!

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is easier to become a profitable SnG player than a profitable ring player. I haven't played micro-limit ring games though so I don't know the standard of play there.

But I do know that the lowest levels of SnG are very beatable with a very simple formula (play big hands with small blinds, steal blinds when they are big).

I think a lot of it comes down to personality also. I enjoy SnGs more. I like the fact that I don't have to sit and grind for hours at a table. I get much more fatigued from ringplay than SnGs. I am sure others feel the other way around.

As for SnG strategy there are some excellent basic guides here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1). If you play on UB you have to adjust it quite a bit since stacks are deeper and blinds increase more slowly (I think). You can play more hands early on there.

Misfire
04-21-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The software is mediocre

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you say that? I like RV because it's smooth and quick and it moves the buttons when the action hits you so you don't misfire like on party and UB.

Everyone raves about stars, but that site is so slow and choppy it makes me want to kill myself.

Misfire
04-21-2005, 08:24 PM
BTW, 75c + 25c is a HORRIBLE rake... bleh

R_Brite_TDX
04-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Absolute Poker offers 2.00 + .25, 1.00+ .15, and .50 + .10, NL HE tourneys and the play at those levels through the 10 + 1's is straight up terrible. I enjoy playing at absolute and have made some good srides in my poker game playing there.

Student
04-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks!

Since I find PokerStars adequate, Royal Vegas must be really good. Then too, it has the low-stakes games I need, so I can be a total beginner in a proper setting. Thanks to both of you!

Dave

Student
04-21-2005, 10:28 PM
I took that to mean a 75 cents buy-in with no entry fee, and also another game with 25 cents buy-in, again with no entry fee. I suppose when I go there to look I'll find out.

Appreciate!

Dave

Student
04-21-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm a retired guy, and a happy one too! I must admit having fun playing poker is a real plus for me. But I'm like you in as much as the idea of working into a money-making posture makes it even more fun. Thanks!

Dave

Student
04-21-2005, 10:36 PM
At the moment I'm exploring tournaments. I came across a great summary of tournament technique, along the way. This summary is so exhaustive it by itself will cost me a week of reading, to do it justice. It is retrieveable in a 2+2 search by hunting for "the shadow" who is the author. It was written on 3/13/5, and has a title " /images/graemlins/spade.gif Favorite Threads and Links for STT FAQ v.3 (long)", as strange as that may seem. Wonderful resource for beginner tournament wanna-be's!

Yes, it's going to be fun hunting for tournaments!

Thanks...

Dave

Student
04-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Sounds like AbsolutePoker has some quite affordable tournaments! Thank you very much!!!

Dave

Misfire
04-21-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I took that to mean a 75 cents buy-in with no entry fee, and also another game with 25 cents buy-in, again with no entry fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

RoyalVegas' cheap SNG's are $.75 entry (goes towards the prize pool) + $.25 rake (goes to RV's profit). That's a 33% rake, which is too high in my opinion. You shouldn't have to pay more than 10% rake at any level (and less as you approach the $100s). UltimateBet has $1 + $.10 and $5 + $.50 games, but you don't see a 10% rake at RV until the $2 + $.20. (Except for the WSOP steps, which start at $1 + $.10).

Another thing to look for are rakeback affiliate deals. They don't matter much while we're playing in the kiddie pool, but the big kids tell me is adds up to a lot of money at the higher stakes.

Jackrabbit Slim
04-22-2005, 12:07 AM
I don't really like the client either. I might be the worlds biggest moron but after 200+ SnGs there I still haven't found out how to bet without using the slider.

And you can only play two tables at once.

Misfire
04-22-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like the client either. I might be the worlds biggest moron but after 200+ SnGs there I still haven't found out how to bet without using the slider.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a dropdown menu on the right with 4 or 5 bet incriments, or you can type them next to the slider.

[ QUOTE ]
And you can only play two tables at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never tried more than two without opening another program. One thing that does stink is you can't be on two prima sites at the same time like you can w/ party skins.

Maulik
04-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Thoughts on the Poker Bubble

there is still room for massive growth with this 'bubble' and that said, I think poker will be popular for years to come, as the market is still relatively small. Bring in the next waive of poor players with $ to burn =]

Blarg
04-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Here's my marketing genius tip: market more to spanish speakers. Latinos are a population that's growing explosively in the U.S., and will soon be pushing blacks to a far smaller minority than they already are. Their population is explosing in terms of both childbirth for people already here and waves of immigration washing in. Their population is young, and getting younger, while white population and much Asian population is either holding steady or declining. Latinos are a huge force in American culture to be reckoned with. We're only at the beginning of it even though it's been going on for hundreds of years.

There's a strong Catholic element to their culture, so you can't get too carried away with pushing the "sex" part of gambling. Big boobs will sell, but you gotta be careful showing asses, for some reasons, so design your billboards accordingly.

Student
04-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks for your observations about the expanding poker world, here in the U.S.!

The bubble in the poker world expresses itself in 3 forms: ever increasingly entertaining TV poker which is free advertising of poker, an essential avalanche of new books about poker with higher standards than ever before, and competition between online internet poker sites that lead to ever better opportunities for players.

Concerning the first, we still haven't seen strip poker on TV, and can we have any doubt money-greedy folks are going to exploit that?

Books on NL HE have been scarce in the past. Doyle Brunson's poker bible is very strong for several different kinds of poker, but it is the only early reference for NL HE, and highly regarded for that too. Harrington's book, which will probably be the first of 3 or 4, has come out to rave reviews here on 2+2. The second comes out in June. Expect another in December, though no one has made mention of that; a book explaining a plethora of hands would find excellent support.

Competition between internet poker sites began with free poker, and this is really big. Most poker sites have it. But another form of quasi-free poker is low-stakes poker. There are the penny poker games, and it was my suspicion there would be very low-stakes poker games for NL HE tournaments. The best I've found (with the help of all of you) is the 50 + 10 cents tournament game at AbsolutePoker. These were being started on a regular basis when I visited their site last night; as quickly as a table would fill they would start. You spend your 60 cents, and then sit down for an hour of play, using 1,500 chips to began. Wonderful entertainment!

I haven't checked out the RoyalVegas poker site yet, but it seems promising too. In the meantime, I'm sure everyone is taking notes, so if you know of another $1 or less NL HE tournament site, 1 or 2 or 3 tables, post it here, and thanks!

Dave

Student
04-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I live in a state (New Mexico) where the hispanic population is 38%. I expect this percentage to drop, as New Mexico has a very low population and is attractive for retirees, who are coming here in droves. My wife is hispanic. Albuquerque is surrounded with Indian casinos (5 within 25 miles, and more at greater distances), and hispanics love to gamble! Their gregarious nature lends itself to gambling in physical casinos. Indians love to gamble too, and always have!

So you're entirely correct about popularity of poker with hispanics. But you should note every other segment of the population loves poker, too. As to whether hispanics deserve to overtake blacks as the leading minority in the US, that's another subject. Most politicians here in New Mexico are hispanic. And they play poker too...

Dave

Student
04-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Are you referring to RoyalVegas?

Thanks! Dave

Student
04-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Another valuable contribution about RoyalVegas!

Yes, I agree fees should be kept easy. Let's face it, free poker and low-stakes poker are come-ons. They bring players to a site. And in time these same players advance their games to the point where they are playing for cash. If an internet poker site offers low-stakes games, they should also realize this is merely providing a transition from free games to the cash world. The transition should be a reasonable one, and piling on fees at the lowest levels is silly! Why give them free games, and then drive them away with excessive fees on low-stakes game. The ultimate goal should be to turn beginners into high-stakes players, isn't it?

Dave

Misfire
04-22-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The transition should be a reasonable one, and piling on fees at the lowest levels is silly! Why give them free games, and then drive them away with excessive fees on low-stakes game. The ultimate goal should be to turn beginners into high-stakes players, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna guess their thinking is you'll realize the fees are more reasonable at the $2 games than at the $.75 games, and you'll just move up quicker looking to avoid the high fee %. What I think is more likely is that players will move to another site like UltimateBet that have lower fees at their cheap games.

lastchance
04-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Look for GPP (Golden Palace Poker). My roll is absolutely tiny right now, and their SNG's are the cheapest, by far, with your standard rake.

Don't expect a lot of useful stuff like HH's you get on most other sites.

Student
04-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Good ideas!

I haven't tried UltimateBet yet, but now I'm interested because I really want to play low-stakes.

I just watched a tournament on AbsolutePoker. It went on for 80 minutes, and the person who had been way behind when 5 players were left (of an original 9), won it. I never did figure out what the prizes were. It was a NL HE tournament, and the stakes were 50 + 10 cents (9 players, to repeat). Where does the $4.50 pot go?

Dave

Student
04-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Nice (GoldenPalacePoker)!

I'll check out all low-stakes internet sites for NL HE 1, 2, or 3 table tournaments. Thanks! By the way, how do they distribute the pot when the tournament ends?

Dave

tomdemaine
04-22-2005, 11:55 AM
usually in a sit and go 50% 1st 30% 2nd nd 20% 3rd

Student
04-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Outstanding!

So in a NL HE tournament, the SNG type with 50 +10 cents buy-in/entry fee and 9 players at the table, the $4.50 pot goes $2.25 to the #1 winner, $1.35 to the #2 and 90 cents to the #3 winner. Well, that's quite inspiring, and thanks!

Dave

tminus
04-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Hello
Im about 5 months into the SNG Tourn. This site has helped me so much that I thought it would be nice to give back a little. Please excuse me if this is at all redundant...

Having read as much as you have Im sure that you have a good grasp on hand value and pot odds. The thing that jumped out at me in your post is the Harrington Book. Ive read 4 books on the topic and believe his to be the best so far. He's great with tactics BUT keep in mind that his preflop hand requirements are designed around higher level playing. The level that you and I play at ($5/1 $10/1 SNG) is quite loose most times and downright wild on weekends. For this reason I tighten up a bit more...especially early in the game.

Aside from that I spend the first 15 hands sizing up each player. I do so by recording the player notes on each player seated at the table regarding each hand played and how they played it. Then I adjust accordingly.

AND (Im sure that youve heard this already) deposit a bankroll for 30 games, not 10. You obviously love this game and have some extra pocket change so just deposit the other $150 and save yourself the grief of losing that first $50 during your first big dry spell (bad beats, cold cards, etc).

On the topic of "dry spells", I usually stop for a couple days and review my game history...specifically my losing hands. I consider myself to have good self-awareness but I have been humbled a few times to discover that my dry spell was actually 'tilt' that ran for a day or two.

One last thing...expect to be flamed on this site. I find that here are some REALLY great people here willing to help out in any way that they can but occasionally I get some post replies that arent so nice...

hope this helped

Freudian
04-22-2005, 01:02 PM
If he starts out with $1+0.1 SnG's, his $50 will be enough. I think he has a very good plan that he is comfortable with. Rushing isn't something he seems to desire.

Student
04-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Thank you very much; excellent advise!

My trajectory concerning poker has been so fast that I've skipped over all sorts of common sense items. And my play reflects that! One of the most important things you mentioned was going on a moritorium for a couple of days when you're having a dry spell, and simply reviewing hands. That sure applies to me!

I've played less than 1,400 hands in cash games, and all in 1/2 cents ring games at PokerStars. I started at $50, and my swings are approx. as follows: to $41.80, $49.39, $43.17, $49.29, $43, $48.48, and now back to $43.00. Viewed in terms of BBs, since a single BB is just 2 cents, these are astronomic swings. Your procedure might cool me down, especially when cards come out weak. I've got to learn to just sit there, and instead of playing hands at the outside bounds of my opening hands tables, insist on playing only with truly better hands. Stated in percent played terms, I find I'm loose when I lose, even playing 40% of hands. I suppose I'm impatient for something nice to happen, but it isn't going to happen until the run of weak cards stops. Let's say it's simply weak opening hands that explains my plight. Then, instead of playing at 20% as an acceptable standard, I should drop to 15%, until I start winning again.

Frankly, this business of being a beginner is very painful. I suppose there are a dozen areas of my game where I could fruitfully take off a day to improve. Then as I lose more, I just get even more panicked about my plight!

I've read practically nothing of the many poker books I've bought. After all, playing poker is exciting, even when I'm losing. I've read quite a bit from internet magazines, and the kind that are free at the casino. I suspect I've contributed a bit too much on 2+2.

I've been avoiding reading books too, because I wanted some sort of foundation of understanding concerning play, rather than hitting the books cold. But it's about time I spend some important time reading books. Perhaps I could require 4 hours of reading, followed by half an hour of play. I'm so ignorant of what the books have that the common advise that a person read a little and play a little, since one needs to solidly incorporate ideas read and this is possible only by playing, misses the mark by a mile for me. I'm just not disciplining myself to read.

I've taken a side journey to see what the NL HE tournament scene is, and I must say I'm well-pleased! But I must get my game shaped up, at least to get my 1/2 cents account back to breakeven, before I actually start with SNGs. So that's my plan...

Dave

Student
04-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I have so very much to learn about poker! Money management has been my strength in other areas of my life. Unfortunately poker is about a whole lot more than money management! Thanks for your interest...

Dave

Slim Pickens
04-22-2005, 05:20 PM
I learned to play blackjack at Camel Rock. I came down off the hill with a few of my physics-PhD-parents-friends with some nutty idea about counting cards. I can't say we ever figured out what we were doing, but it sure was a disappointment to come home that first summer of college and find out the gambling age had risen from 18 to 21.

Anyway, have the NM casinos expanded to include poker, even tournaments? I go back there every once in a while since my parents still live in the area?

Student
04-22-2005, 09:00 PM
The Camelrock Casino is one of two I've been kicked out of, for "counting dice." I went to most casinos in New Mexico, gathering statistics about which spots were coming up. I wasn't interested in whether 7 came up, but that it came up 1/6, for example. Well, at a point the security guards came and got me, and hustled me into a back room, where I was rather convinced they felt me a real threat. They permitted me to cash in my chips, and then banned me from their craps table.

I'm pretty sure the northern casinos have poker, at least Golden "whatever" and Camelrock. Heading south, I think Hollywood does. I KNOW Santa Ana, Sandia, and Isletta, all of which are closer to Albuquerque, have poker, lots of poker. The new casino at the Rio Puerco, where it crosses Interstate 40 (Route 66 Casino), fairly specializes in poker, but their game hasn't caught on yet.

I'm somewhat vague about all of this, simply because I haven't gotten my game up to the point where I play in the casino. I'm truly a beginner. I'm a retired PhD Nuclear Engineer, from Sandia National Lab, though I resigned from there when I was 30 (37 years ago). But I'm as green as they come, when it comes to poker. Enjoy it very much, but right now it seems awesome that I might even aspire to playing profitably some day.

Dave

Blarg
04-22-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in a state (New Mexico) where the hispanic population is 38%. I expect this percentage to drop, as New Mexico has a very low population and is attractive for retirees, who are coming here in droves. My wife is hispanic. Albuquerque is surrounded with Indian casinos (5 within 25 miles, and more at greater distances), and hispanics love to gamble! Their gregarious nature lends itself to gambling in physical casinos. Indians love to gamble too, and always have!

So you're entirely correct about popularity of poker with hispanics. But you should note every other segment of the population loves poker, too. As to whether hispanics deserve to overtake blacks as the leading minority in the US, that's another subject. Most politicians here in New Mexico are hispanic. And they play poker too...

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I don't know where the concept of deserve came in. They are just growing in population, and rapidly replacing blacks as the largest minority, that's all. I'm not making any judgments on that at all and am not sure where the concept of deserving would come in, just noting a fact that I see mentioned when reading the paper here in California, where the hispanic population is always in the news.

microbet
04-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Skipperbob, you have been dethroned as the forum elder.

Student
04-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Thanks (I think)!!! Dave

Student
04-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Yes, indeed!

As for me, I'll be doing less playing and more reading about poker. It's fun playing, but it would be nice to learn from others, now that I've proven I can't teach myself! Good luck with your poker!

Dave

microbet
04-23-2005, 12:01 AM
No disrespect meant. Skipper is about 61 or 62 and likes to point out that he is the oldest. I myself am 37 which makes me pretty ancient around here.

I will be surprised if you aren't succesful.

Blarg
04-23-2005, 12:15 AM
I just got Getting Started in Hold'Em by Ed Miller. It has sections on limit, no limit, and no limit tournaments. I intend to poke my nose in it for a good number of hours this weekend. People are reviewing it over in the Books forum now, if you want to see if it looks like something you might want to go out and buy for yourself, too.

Student
04-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Appreciate it!

About to be 67, I'm a bit young to be taking up the game of poker, but it sure has been fun so far (borrowing a bit from Ronald Reagan, who was asked during a debate with Walter Mondale whether he felt he was at a disadvantage, because of his age). There is so much to learn, and that's been encouraging too. Like most beginners, I'm overwhelmed. I sure hope it isn't because I'm too old to begin such a difficult task, but at least I'm not expected to jump over any high hurdles, or something! But I marvel at how easily younger people pick up on this stuff, and then I wonder if I'll be able to make money at this thing...

Dave

Student
04-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Thanks!

I've been keeping an eye on that book, which has been highly recommended by quite a few people in the last few weeks. That book, plus the one by Lee Jones, are very good foundational books that I've skipped over.

However, from the beginning I've set my eyes on tournament play, and NL HE. I was fortunate to buy "Harrington on Hold'em" in my first major purchase of books (and a quite early edition of Doyle Brunson's Super/System - Second edition and 2nd printing, 1979 on the internet), so now all I have to do is refocus on reading books, and I'll be OK!

I was reading the wonderful thread on the 2+2 Poker Theory Forum, having to do with best ideas for playing poker. It's the one with 68 replies, which really sets it aside as being of some significance. I've copied many of the ideas into a file in my computer, so as to get some of the best of the best thoughts about winning poker all in one place.

2+2 sure does offer some great opportunities to learn. Of course, I selected "Student" for my name, because even at age 67 I continue to regard myself as a student, and in so many ways, actually!

Thanks again...

Dave

Student
04-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Here's a summary of of how this thread turned out. First, it was remarkably successful, in terms of how many participated. Thank you very much!

The very best internet poker site for low-stakes NL HE tournaments is GoldenPalacePoker. I found it easily, using "GoldenPalace poker" in a Google search. They have SNG (Sit 'N Go) tournaments for an unbelievable 10 cents +1 cent entry fee! The one I watched lasted an hour, and that's a lot of entertainment and education, for a dime and a penny! They have a 10% entry fee, pretty much across the board, for all their SNGs, except for their 25 cents + 2 cents. So there are NL HE SNGs for 20 and 50 cents, $1, $2, $3, $5, $10, $15, $20, $25 and $50.

I've gone to AbsolutePoker, and they have $1 and 50 cents NL HE tournaments, but they charge entry fees above 10% (it might be quite a bit above, actually). Then I went to UltimateBet, and they too have options in these regards. I haven't gone to RoyalVegasPoker, but it seems to be suitable enough, according to what folks have said.

The thread also brought information for the beginning poker player, since that's my situation. Thanks to all!

Dave

PS: If you have another favorite low-stakes internet poker site for tournaments, post ahead and thank you!

tomdemaine
04-23-2005, 05:10 PM
If you want a lot of poker time for a small amount of money I suggest the Party mini steps. You can get in for $5+1 but as long as you can finish at least 5th out of 10 then you can repeat and repeat the same tournament without paying any more money, and who knows you might move up or even win a couple of hundred! Basically you can get at least 5 or 6 games of relativly high stake (compared to what you've been playing) poker for just $6. You might suprise yourself and find out just how soft some of these 5+1's really are.

Student
04-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for this tip!

I've been staying away from Party, because when I arrive at the bigger tables I want a clean slate at Party, to participate in bonuses. Party must be the biggest for some reason, and the idea that the first 5 placers don't lose, even at a table of just 10, is appealing to the beginner.

Thanks, again!

Dave