PDA

View Full Version : Critique this call. (Home game)

BillFranklin
04-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Single table tournament. 9 handed. down to 7.
blinds 200/400.

I have 1600. There are 2 players with around 3000. Everyone else has about the same as me except 2 short stacked players.
The game was very aggressive and the blinds were going up fast. I didn't consider myself Short stacked but i would have been shortly if i didn't make a move soon. With a 400 BB that was 25% of my stack. I was 2 hands away from being BB. I looked down to see 10-10 in second position. UTG limped in (i knew he didn't have anything b/c he always raises with good hands, put him on a hand like t9s, jts, 98s etc. trying to see a cheap flop)
I had thought about pushing and when he limped in that sealed the deal. There was a 1000 in the pot. So i went all in. I did this for a couple reasons:
1) I had a chance to take the 1000 uncontested. Most all in pre flop calls were winning uncontested.
2) I also had a chance to showdown with the blinds. Both of the blinds were shortstacked and pretty much pot committed i figured i would have a strong edge with my 10's. A call would have gained me about close to 2000 if my hand held up and wouldn't have costed me too much if i lost. The small blind was really bad player and drunk as well. ( he had been calling with pretty much anything) The big blind was trying to fold his way into the money and playing very weak. I knew he would only call if had a pair (which would most likely be smaller than mine.)

I knew that if i bet the utg limper would fold. There were 3 players behind me (not including blinds) I knew for sure that 2 of the players would fold with anything other AA or KK. That left the player to immediate left whom i was unsure of. However, i had seen fold QQ to an all in bet earlier and was playing tight so i figured i was ok.

Result:
everyone folded except the player to my left who had AK, he called and busted me. Was i right to play this aggressive in this situation or should have waited for a better spot.

zambonidrivr
04-21-2005, 03:19 PM
how many places paid? you had the best hand going in. hard to know without watching the action first hand

BillFranklin
04-21-2005, 03:23 PM
top 3 paid (3rd got his money back so really top 2 paid)

LetYouDown
04-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Seems like a ridiculous blind structure...7 people left at 200/400 and you're in the middle of the pack with 1600?

That aside, this is a no question push for me. You have 4x the BB, regardless of how you felt, you ARE short stacked. 38% of your stack is disappearing if you fold the next several hands. Long story short, don't question your choice in the hand, question whoever determined the blind structure for your tournament. Either way, sounds like you should have stolen more blinds earlier.

jah0550
04-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Why are you posting this? You have 4x the BB with 10s. POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH. If you were thinking about folding it, I have one suggestion. Stop playing poker, because it is obvious that you have no idea what you are doing...better yet come sit at my table. You are welcome any time.

six_4off
04-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah no critiquing needed. At 4x the bb i push w/ 22 in this spot. No need to worry about the play, you are fine. I would be worried if you named this post, "Critique This Fold."