PDA

View Full Version : Credit Score

Yobz
04-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Ok, there have been a cpl threads on credit recently but a lot of them talk about already having your credit score. How can I get my credit score cheap/free?
Does getting your credit score lower it (I heard thats true)?
Are there places on the internet that won't steal my SSN and name and do something evil with it?

moondogg
04-21-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, there have been a cpl threads on credit recently but a lot of them talk about already having your credit score. How can I get my credit score cheap/free?

[/ QUOTE ]

I get it from qspace, but I'm sure people will say that qspace blows.

Don't go for the cheap (or free) single report, that is not an accruate depiction of your credit. Get the full three-file report (Equifax, TransUnion, Experian). The differences can be siginficant.

[ QUOTE ]

Does getting your credit score lower it (I heard thats true)?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Only repeated credit inquiries in a short period of time as part of a credit application would lower your score, and I think there's some relatively new legistlation to change this. However, checking your own credit does not lower your score.

[ QUOTE ]

Are there places on the internet that won't steal my SSN and name and do something evil with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I use qspace, they are partnered with Yahoo in some way (that's where I heard of them).

I just googled "credit report", and I would say that the top 10 listings are all respectable.

NorCalJosh
04-21-2005, 12:12 PM
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/freereports.htm

go there and read that. it also gives you a link.

Alobar
04-21-2005, 12:16 PM
my credit score: n/a (Im not shitting either)

My moms credit score: 815

Guess who at the age of 27 still gets a co-signer for everything /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yobz
04-21-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/freereports.htm

go there and read that. it also gives you a link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, thanks. Now to figure out which address to provide (college or home)...

NorCalJosh
04-21-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my credit score: n/a (Im not shitting either)

My moms credit score: 815

Guess who at the age of 27 still gets a co-signer for everything /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch, howd you pull that one off? i'm 21, credit score of 785.

TStoneMBD
04-21-2005, 02:48 PM
i dont think moon is right. from what i understand, every time that you file for credit or someone does a credit check on you, it reduces your score.

Yobz
04-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I have to wait until September 1, 2005 to get anything out of this, but its better than nothing.

pudley4
04-21-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont think moon is right. from what i understand, every time that you file for credit or someone does a credit check on you, it reduces your score.

[/ QUOTE ]

moon is correct. you are partially correct.

Checking your own score does not affect your credit score. It's because what you are doing is called a "soft" inquiry.

When you apply for credit anywhere, it's a "hard" inquiry. Repeated hard inquiries can lower your credit score. One exception is when you're applying for a mortgage - all hard inquiries within a short period of time (about 2 weeks) are counted as only one single inquiry.

BWebb
04-21-2005, 02:58 PM
annualcreditreport.com You can get your personal credit report from the big 3 for free once a year. It costs about $5 to get the score though. Depends on where you live for eligibility date.

Leo99
04-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Credit score does not equal credit report. They are two related but separate things. You can get one without the other. Sometimes if you pay for the credit report, they will throw in the credit score for $5 extra. Providian provides credit scores free every month to their credit card holders.