PDA

View Full Version : Reading the enemy

fiver
11-08-2002, 01:07 PM
Can anyone recomend some good resources (books, articles or any of your favorite tricks or tells) for help in reading opponents. This is a weak part of my game and I would appreciate any input.

Al Schoonmaker
11-08-2002, 02:01 PM
I naturally suggest my own book, "The psychology of poker," which is published by Two Plus Two. Understanding yourself and other players are its primary themes.

Al

BLUESMAN
11-08-2002, 03:18 PM
I agree with you Al,your book is terrific but more than that,your intellectual honesty and clear writing style make your posts the most important and valuable on this entire forum.

Al Schoonmaker
11-08-2002, 07:32 PM
What can I say except "Thank you."

Al

PokerBabe(aka)
11-08-2002, 09:04 PM
The "oldie but goodie" Mike Caro's Book of Tells (and Video of Tells) has some great info as well. As for Alan, he is one of the kindest people on earth. Babe

Jedi Poker
11-08-2002, 09:13 PM
If you want to learn about "tells", I highly recommend the videotape version of Mike Caro's Book of Tells: the Body Language of Poker. If you're willing to pay 200 bucks in order to learn exactly when people are being honest or being dishonest, purchase hypnotist Marshall Sylver's Persuasion and Influence. In my opinion, it runs circles around Caro's tapes. As for books, try Caro's Book of Tells, and also Anthony Robbins' Unlimited Power, and Grinder and Bandler's The Structure of Magic II.

If it's "reading hands" (as opposed to "reading people") you're interested in, all the Two Plus Two books are excellent resources. And if you get the chance, be sure to get Roy Cooke's first book.

11-08-2002, 11:17 PM
the video is the best way to go...
yes babe Al is neeto..

jg

bernie
11-08-2002, 11:54 PM
all the books have a section about this....so id go to a bookstore and read those sections.....if you dont have the books, that is...

saturate yourself with the subject a little.

also, when on a table and there is a decent player playing who talks his way thru a hand a little, on his reads of others hands, listen. i had that benefit at some tables early on and it helped a little.

but other than that, as i said above, find the sections and read em. they all have tips for identifying patters...

another thing....when looking at posts on here, guess the hands before you see the results. then check your answer with other posters and see the reasons they may put some players on certain hands. there's a wealth of these types of posts, and my be the best source overall. it may not be what the others post was intended for, but hell, use it that way for your own benefit. it works great...

have a good one...

b

Clarkmeister
11-09-2002, 02:53 PM
I'll second all the motions about Caro's Book of Tells.

Perhaps more importantly, be sure to pay attention to your opponents at the table. Especially in the hands where you aren't involved. You have all this dead time at a poker table, and by carefully observing your opponents, you'll be amazed at the stuff you can pick up on. During your next session, try concentrating at a high level on your opponets. I'd recommend playing a shorter session as well, since this will be a more straining than usual session until you get used to it.

Hint: When someone balls their fist up and swings it at the table to check on the river making a loud noise (as if very disappointed), they will checkraise 100% of the time.