PDA

View Full Version : Madness (or Mad Genius) on the Bubble?

tsevier
04-21-2005, 10:58 AM
I was UTG in this hand, just watching the action and glad I would be making it ITM. When I watched this hand and saw the results I thought both players were crazy and maybe they are. However, I have given it some more thought and was wondering if the brighter minds in this forum may see some value to how the 2 chip leaders played this hand on the bubble.

Clearly both players are going for first and not worried about sliding ITM...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t1100)
BB (t2825)
UTGA (t1390)
Button (t2685)

Preflop:
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t300.

Flop: (t1350) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)
BB goes all in, Button calls</font>

Turn: (t1350) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1350) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Results:

BB 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif a straight, six to ten.
Button shows J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif a flush, ace high.
BB wins 140 chips from side pot #1 with a straight, six to ten.
Button wins 5520 chips from the main pot with a flush, ace high.

BB moves all in against the only person that can break him with a pocket pair and 2 overcards on the flop. Maybe he is thinking that there are very few hands that the button can call him with.

The button call seems even harder to justify in my mind with no pair and a draw to the nut flush. However, is this an example of where playing for first is worth the risk? If he wins the hand he has a huge chip lead. Also, the all in bet from the BB seems suspicious.

Maybe I am over thinking this but I would like to know if anyone sees merit in how the 2 big stacks played this hand?

Thanks in advance for all the wisdom.

Phil Van Sexton
04-21-2005, 11:12 AM
The BB was likely going for a stop-and-go. He called preflop with the intention of pushing on any non-scary flop (ie no Ace or King). He figured that the button will fold anything but AA-QQ, AQ, 99, and 77. He was wrong. This play would've been fine if his stack were smaller, IMO.

The button is a moron.

MisterBlonde
04-21-2005, 11:16 AM
I would say it's madness. When I'm one of the big stacks, I don't put all my chips in the middle without having a hand.

shejk
04-21-2005, 11:16 AM
And the BB is a moron for not having seen that Button is such a moron earlier in the tournament.

tsevier
04-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Seemed like madness to me, but I am always intrested to hear everyone's thought process.

Is this a situation where the button should be pushing pre-flop with his A-J suited even though the other big stack is in the BB? I suspect that is the right play and the min. raise is definitely the wrong play?