PDA

View Full Version : preserving the big game

Roswell
04-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I just read Lyle Berman's chapter on PLO in SS2. Without going into details, it seems that he really doesn't "get" the game. From other threads, I gather that the big Bellagio game survives by the occasional drop-in traffic from whales like Larry Flynt, Andy Beal, and Rene Angelil.

Is it possible that Berman is among these whales, and Doyle is so accomodating that he let Berman write a chapter in his book?

(crossposted from PLO forum)

tek
04-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Seems plausible. Lyle is great at running with a concept, floating stock and cashing out. Perhaps not so great at poker.

citanul
04-21-2005, 12:25 PM
i very much doubt that he's amongst those whales.

i think what he's saying is exactly the same thing that other people constantly point out, which is that it's very possible that several of the regulars in the big game would make more money playing in less shark infested waters for lower stakes.

citanul

beernutz
04-21-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just read Lyle Berman's chapter on PLO in SS2. Without going into details, it seems that he really doesn't "get" the game. From other threads, I gather that the big Bellagio game survives by the occasional drop-in traffic from whales like Larry Flynt, Andy Beal, and Rene Angelil.

Is it possible that Berman is among these whales, and Doyle is so accomodating that he let Berman write a chapter in his book?

(crossposted from PLO forum)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record, how many gold bracelets and runner-up finishes do you have?

dogmeat
04-21-2005, 08:03 PM
LMAO

Same old story here everyday. People with ZERO big wins questioning those that have plenty of cash or tourny wins (or in Berman's case, also big business savy that has made him millions). No wonder there will be 6000+ players in the 10K WSOP this year.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

lighterjobs
04-22-2005, 01:25 AM
i guess three bracelets (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player_results_Lyle_Berman.html) mean he is a whale.

Josh W
04-22-2005, 04:11 AM
do you guys realize the difference between tourny success and ring game success?

Just curious...

Josh

PoBoy321
04-22-2005, 05:43 AM
It looks like he should've written a book on 2-7 draw.

TobDog
04-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Ok, Ill throw in my .02(no bracelets herre, FYI). But many of teh big games are many games so that the winners are those that have a knowledge and skill of all of them, some of the best players in the world are not as good at some of the games they play than others, with all the holdem exposure, one could make a very comfortable living from just that game, if you gonna play in the very big games, your gonna have to play stud, omaha, hi-lo games, draw, lowball, etc. The world class players probably did it that way because they know that eventually someone new, or really good at one game, will not be as good at some of the other games as the big game regulars

Dave Mac
04-22-2005, 08:41 PM
no, they have no clue.