PDA

View Full Version : 88 hand - what to do?

schwza
04-21-2005, 10:05 AM
villain is 12/6 in 33 hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1165)
UTG (t4075)
UTG+1 (t1400)
UTG+2 (t1190)
MP1 (t875)
Hero (t2430)
MP3 (t830)
CO (t4865)
Button (t760)
SB (t655)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t150</font>, Hero?

willie
04-21-2005, 10:35 AM
i fold

few reasons

the guy is short and is going to be jamming on a flop more than likely. You're not going to be comfortable unless an 8 pops up out there

-Second- there are a few shortstacks behind you, and if they have any form of liking of their hands they're giong to push in as well. Then if it comes back to you you might end up getting tied into this pot for 800 instead of 150.

Che
04-21-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
villain is 12/6 in 33 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I probably raise to 400 or 450 to try to isolate.

I'm obviously pc'd against MP1, the button and/or the SB. If the CO reraises, I'm out.

Unless I have a read that the BB is solid, I probably call him if he pushes unless someone else has already pushed, too, in which case I will fold.

Later,
Che

schwza
04-21-2005, 11:40 AM
sorry, thought that was standard jargon. VPIP = 12, PFR = 6.

locutus2002
04-21-2005, 11:54 AM
I don't understand what 12/6 in 33 hands means (id like to know),
but I take it to mean villain is playing alot.

88 is a strong hand, and its going to play well in position.
I raise to t400 to isolate villain and for info. I'm going to call an all in by any one player but BB and CO (UTG1,2,3 are out)

If villain is a LAG this puts alot of pressure on him because you are a favorite against most of his wide range of holdings, slightly better against most of them, and worse against only the unlikely ones (Even LAGs can pick up a hand).

locutus2002
04-21-2005, 11:57 AM
What's VPIP, PFR=preflop raise?

A_PLUS
04-21-2005, 11:59 AM
I probably make it 400, wanting to isolate. If I do isolate, I am prepared for the stop and go, and I am calling whatever bet he makes on the flop. (maybe I fold woth an AK on board...maybe).

schwza
04-21-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's VPIP, PFR=preflop raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

VPIP = volunatarily put $ in pot, PFR = pre-flop raise.

schwza
04-21-2005, 03:00 PM
i folded. possibly because i am a coward.

che, now that you know what i meant by 12/6, do you still play?

Che
04-21-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
che, now that you know what i meant by 12/6, do you still play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't use PokerTracker so I still don't really have a good handle on what 12/6 means, but I guess it means he's more tight than average. I still probably play if that's the case, but I might not. (I'm confused by the 12/6 is the bottom line. /images/graemlins/frown.gif)

Later,
Che

schwza
04-21-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't use PokerTracker

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i recommend it.

for reference, my stats are something like 17/9, but that's tainted somewhat by sit n go's.

MLG
04-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I think PT is not really useful if all you do is play MTTs.

schwza
04-21-2005, 04:58 PM
i find that when i play on non-party sites (and hence don't use PT) i have a hard time distinguishing between someone who's playing a little tighter than average and someone who's playing very tight. but when PT tells me that someone has only played 1 hand in 40, it's useful. i very rarely have stats on someone when they sit down but the accumulated stats (combined with playerview) helps.

once we get somewhat close to the bubble i take notes for every pre-flop action and then i stop using PT.

but i like to open all the tables when we get to 4 tables left so i have some sense of unknown players. i think it's pretty +EV.

MLG
04-21-2005, 05:09 PM
I could see it being useful in those situations I guess, but I don't think your really losing much if anything. I really wish there was some sort of program for MTTs, but im not sure how it would work.

A_PLUS
04-21-2005, 06:18 PM
I agree about PT for MTTs. I find it is really helpful in the early rounds. Especially with a site like UB where there are more hands at smaller levels. Also, you can click on a players name, and see every hand they showed down, from what position, their pre-flop action, etc. It really helps when distinguishing between someone who really is uber-tight and someone who has had a frozen string of cards.

It loses its value at an exponential rate as the levels increase, although I always like to see who has never lost a showdown, I up my aggression against them.

The problem with my suggestion to raise, is the fact that you will probably get reraised all-in with AK, AQ, AA-TT, so you have to be prepared to play for his stack. Another thing to take into consideration is the players play post flop (post flop aggression on PT).

This is something I regularly use in ring games, but may be useful in MTTs as well, Id appreciate your thoughts: There is a 'type' of player who is fairly tight 10-20% in the pot, 5-15% preflop raise (doesnt limp very often). Who always bet the flop, often times a pot sized bet. I will often call a 4x BB bet from them with position, knowing that the implied odds are great if I hit a hand. I probably make as much money off of these players with hands like T8s, as I do with AA. I have been thinking a lot of adding more of my ring game play into my MTT play, especially on sites with deep stacks. thoughts?