PDA

View Full Version : Beat the Streak on mlb.com

Aicirt
04-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Is anyone else on here doing this? If you havent heard about it, essentially you try to make the longest hitting streak you can by selecting a baseball player each day. If the player gets a hit, your streak goes on. If he does not, your streak ends. If you get a streak of 57 (MLB record is 56) then you get $100,000. Its really unlikely that Ill be able to get 57, but ts been fun to mess around with so far. Plus its free.

My main reason for posting this...did anyone else who plays this have their streak set back to 0 today even though their player got a hit? I was confused about this and I checked the standings and it looks like there may have been some error because everyone on the standings page had current streaks of 0...that is if Im understanding the standings page correctly.

Aicirt

NorCalJosh
04-21-2005, 11:57 AM
i wasn't. but i am now! i'm a sucker for games that offer me free money. i havent yet decided what my approach to the game is going to be. i figure i could spend hours pouring over statistics and such, which wouldnt be all boring. or i could be like the chick who always finishes first in the ncaa office pool by picking which mascot she thinks is cuter. i also briefly contemplated just picking ichiro every day possible. but then i realized that meant he'd pretty much have to break joe dimaggios streak, and that's not a good bet to make=)

for the first week i just went with random well known players on hot teams who are hitting well. i figure if i get all 7 of those to go, then i'll settle down and put a little bit more effort into it a week from now... i think someone will break 56 this year, mark my words.

NorCalJosh
04-21-2005, 12:00 PM
on a side note, theres also a "league" option, if anyone else decides to pick this up, perhaps a competitive league could be formed. or something. and in response your actual question, it looks like all streaks are back intact now, so it must have been a glitch somewhere along the way.

Alobar
04-21-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i also briefly contemplated just picking ichiro every day possible. but then i realized that's what prolly every other person is doing, and I really dont want to split the money 8 million ways

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Aicirt
04-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Yes they fixed the glitch.

My strategy has been to find the worst starting pitcher on a given day and then pick the best hitter on the other team. Has worked well so far...but that has only been 4 days.

Aicirt

housenuts
04-21-2005, 08:41 PM
this was on last year and no one broke it. i did it last year, i think 23 or so was my best. i had a streak of 3 going up until friday last week but then i forget to make picks for the weekend. now i'm starting again. i don't put too much thought into strategy

Jack of Arcades
04-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Picking Ichiro everyday possible is likely to be the best strategy, depending on matchups.

LoaferGee12
04-21-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Picking Ichiro everyday possible is likely to be the best strategy, depending on matchups.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've been doing. Of course, the first time I pick him he ends his 20-something game hitting streak. :/

Crveballin
04-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Id be up for a league for this. I havent done it but trying to log in now.

Crveballin
04-23-2005, 01:43 AM
I created a league.

League name is 2+2
Password is four

All are welcome. Even lurkers...

boondockst
04-23-2005, 04:07 AM
i am going to win beat the streak because i am haxx0ring it

Lazymeatball
04-23-2005, 04:34 AM
obviously the key to this is selecting a short list of key avg hitters, and picking who ever is going up against the worst pitcher hit wise, not ERA wise.