PDA

View Full Version : overcard set play - - is it working??

_bustedflush_
04-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Sorry about any format errors here. The converter and Absolute's hand histories aren't playing together nicely today.

This is one of my set plays against one or two loose-passives (which villain was). If I raised preflop with overcards that miss, I bet the flop and turn, unless I'm raised. If the river is another blank, I typically check-call with an Ace, check-fold with less (unless the pot has gotten big enough).

What do you think?

Absolute Poker (9 max; 8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with ,A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif .
1 fold,<font color="red"> Hero Raises </font> ,MP1 calls,2 folds,Button calls,blinds fold

Flop (7.5 SB) 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="red"> Hero bets </font> ,MP1 calls, Button folds

Turn (4.75BB) 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="red"> Hero bets </font> ,MP1 calls

River (6.75BB) 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
hero checks, MP1 checks
Final Pot:

jaxUp
04-21-2005, 09:24 AM
A river check/call isn't automatic with A high. This should very dependent on your opponent.

jrz1972
04-21-2005, 09:32 AM
This is my standard line too.

The flop bet is automatic against any two opponents. I have no particular reason to think that I'm not ahead at this point.

The turn bet HU is also pretty much automatic. There's a reasonable chance that I'm still ahead, as a lot of players will call the flop with anything but fold on the turn. Against a maniac who will raise the turn with anything, I might be more inclined to check-call this, but that's an exception to the standard "set play." (OOP against a very aggressive or very tricky player is a situation in which you'll often want to get away from your set play).

Like jaxup said, the river is read-dependent. I'm not betting the river against any opponent, but whether I check-call or check-fold depends. I Check-call against an aggressive or thinking player, and check-fold against a fish.

I'll be interested in seeing alternative lines that other people follow.

kenberman
04-21-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If the river is another blank, I typically check-call with an Ace

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very read dependent.

tiltaholic
04-21-2005, 09:34 AM
i like it.
if villian has shown weak tendancies, i will bet the river too.

i'm relatively against the idea of a "set play", in that it's not uniformly applicable to all "missed overcards" situations. this line is dependant on:

being OOP against one or two opponents after a preflop raise and missed flop of undercards.
the board is realtively blankish, yet appears scary to others.
the opponents are loose and passive.
the turn and river cards don't complete any likely draws and are basically blanks.

but, i like the way you played the hand.

xenthebrain
04-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I like it. I wouldn't bet the river, too.

If you are ahead you won't get callen by a worse hand.
If you check you might induce a bluff, so that is the only way to probably win one bet.

PokerProdigy
04-21-2005, 10:18 AM
I like your play, but I hope you know when to do it and when not to. Here, I like it because on flop there's only three players (you and two LAG's) so you'll probably get called by someone with two overcards to this low board or they'll fold. I like the turn bet because now it's heads up and only has to work a little over 20% of the time (not including when an ace or king hits the river), and I think it will work atleast this much because you were probably called on the flop with two overcards, so there is a good chance he missed the turn also. Also, against an LAG there is some chance you are value betting the turn.

P.S. I wouldn't get in the habit of doing this with any two overcard hands like this, probably just ace-king and ace-queen, and only in some situations.

PokerProdigy
04-21-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A river check/call isn't automatic with A high. This should very dependent on your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

tiltaholic
04-21-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like your play, but I hope you know when to do it and when not to. Here, I like it because on flop there's only three players (you and two LAG's) so you'll probably get called by someone with two overcards to this low board or they'll fold. I like the turn bet because now it's heads up and only has to work a little over 20% of the time (not including when an ace or king hits the river), and I think it will work atleast this much because you were probably called on the flop with two overcards, so there is a good chance he missed the turn also. Also, against an LAG there is some chance you are value betting the turn.

P.S. I wouldn't get in the habit of doing this with any two overcard hands like this, probably just ace-king and ace-queen, and only in some situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

a LAG is very different than a loose-passive. villians in this hand are loose passive.