PDA

View Full Version : Easy River fold?

deepsquat
04-21-2005, 05:12 AM
Easy fold on the river?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (6 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB

jaxUp
04-21-2005, 05:29 AM
you have saved: 1BB

I might consider a PFR to isolate the limper if he's at all bad, and BB is at all tight.

did you consider a c/c on the river? why would it be good/bad?

Matt Jenko
04-21-2005, 06:56 AM
with company all the way to the river i would check/call, and fold to a raise here. maybe a pf raise would have gone some way to encourage 1 or even both to laydown pf or on later streets.

xenthebrain
04-21-2005, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't bet the flop. The pot is tiny and your hand very marginal and vulnerabe.

@bsolute_luck
04-21-2005, 08:21 AM
i'd raise preflop to get it HU (read dependent on BB).

i'd play the flop and turn the same as 3-handed with few redraws, it is likely the flop missed everyone.

the river: i think i'd play the river the same because i believe my hand to be worth a call, so i bet. no reason to think you're beat.

(honestly, i'd call the raise, but i think that is a leak and my curiosity is costing me a lot of money /images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

ajrenni
04-21-2005, 08:36 AM
In answer to your question, I would also fold this river. I don't think you are good 10% of the time.

That being said, I would have check/folded on every street, unless maybe everyone else was checking through. Middle pair with no draws is not worth dumping money into, especially when the pot is so small. If no one else bet the flop, I might see if I could take down the pot with a bet, but if that failed, I would not bet out on the river.
Let someone else have the small pot and get some better cards.

string4
04-21-2005, 08:42 AM
*blind response, critique welcome*
hmmm...good hand to post i run into this all the time...

I usually let my read dictate this, but since none are available and if this happens when I sit down to an unscouted table, i would call. You're getting 1:10 odds, which means that you would only have to win 1:11 to make the call profitable (am i getting this right?), especially since the other player had bailed. If there was another player yet to act behind me, i likely fold.

jrz1972
04-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Several points:

1. As others have noted, you should at least consider raising preflop. The fact that you showed aggression preflop will often allow you to pick up the pot uncontested on the flop when it's shorthanded. In this particular situation, I would pfr if I thought it would fold out BB and get me HU. Otherwise I would just complete.

2. Betting the flop should be automatic. There is no reason to think anybody has a Q, which means you're probably ahead. No free cards.

3. The turn is also fine. Getting called in both spots on the flop is a little worrisome, but not nearly worrisome enough that you shouldn't want to bet the turn.

4. I like the bet-fold line here on the river. This approach wins more when you're ahead but loses the same when you're behind. (Assuming your next choice is check-call as opposed to check-fold, which I don't think anybody is arguing for). This is kind of a thin value bet, but it's one you should be making routinely at this level. Note that when BB raises, this is a pretty easy fold. You can only beat a bluff, and I doubt BB is bluffing nearly often enough to make a call +EV.

Nice hand.