PDA

View Full Version : $100 / $200 SNGS: Making a Move

Maulik
04-21-2005, 02:38 AM
My friend was playing a cash game in NYC, is this something to expect to see in a tournament for higher stakes?

Game is $1/2 NL, hero is button. 4th position is vilian. Vilian in TIGHT analytical player.

===

SB / BB / Villian raises to $12 / HERO calls 10h9s.

SB / BB call. pot ($60)

FLOP comes A 10 rag (all spades)
Vilian raises to ($30)
Hero raises to ($80) blinds fold. ($220)
TURN K -- (3 spades up)
Vilian likes K, HERO puts Vilian on AK (2 pair)
V raises to $50
H re-raises $150.
River -- blank -- 3 spades up ($520)
V checks
H all-in for $200 more. PE: 245/520 for HERO

should the Vilian fold this hand, if he's putting the HERO on a flush, flopped? Or does PE dictate a call? Do we see this kind of betting on tournaments and is the hero's play good?

TheUsher
04-21-2005, 02:49 AM
1/2 N/L isn't even close to high-stakes so comparing the 2 is wrong. If he's a tight, analytical player, he'll know that hero very rarely flops a flush and his 2pair is most likely good (if holding AK). There's a very good chance hero could have had a set here though considering the way hero played it. Hero's raise on the turn (if he had a set) is horrible though since it should have just been all-in but raising period is horrible because Villain's most likely hand at this point is K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Kx. Villain probably checked river to induce a bluff, and he would most surely call in that spot if he had a set of Kings or really even any decent hand.

Edit: Blah I re-read my reply and I already see flaws in my thinking but I'll leave it instead of deleting it.

Maulik
04-21-2005, 03:04 AM
I realize the stakes aren't comparable, but as far as post-flop play. The HERO here flops a pair of Tens and has a spade flush draw, 9 high. And thinks he can make a move on the Vilian.

Usher, I'm curious to see what you are some of the more analytical contributors have to say here.

TheUsher
04-21-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize the stakes aren't comparable, but as far as post-flop play. The HERO here flops a pair of Tens and has a spade flush draw, 9 high. And thinks he can make a move on the Vilian.

Usher, I'm curious to see what you are some of the more analytical contributors have to say here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's trying to make a move, this is a horrible time against a supposed solid player with that type of board and the way hero is betting.

Plus, this could in NO way be compared to tourney play on Party because the stacks are way too deep, even compared to Level 1. This is how you can explain the call with T9os, right?

ChrisV
04-21-2005, 03:46 AM
You don't get anything like this kind of play on SNGs because stacks are too shallow.

As far as the play goes there is absolutely no way villain should fold the hand on the river. The odds are far too good. Hero hasn't really represented a flush here. The small raise on the flop would be unusual with a flush. I actually don't mind it, but it would be unusual. Hero's betting is consistent with him holding something like AT or a small set. Hero may also have AK with the K of spades.

If you want to attack the villain on this hand, if you're going to bet the river like that you should instead shove it all in on the turn. Getting them to pay it in installments is what you do if you actually want them to call. But frankly, trying to make 1/2 NL players fold when they have top two pair is not my idea of a good time. I would probably have folded preflop, although in the right game it can be okay to call here. On the flop I would have called. There's absolutely no point raising small like that.

curtains
04-21-2005, 04:20 AM
I think there was a problem with the hand converter here...

TheUsher
04-21-2005, 04:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think there was a problem with the hand converter here...

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif