PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz...

Catch of the Day
04-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Okay, I am considering living in Santa Cruz for the summer in a house very close to the beach with a couple other poker players (who will remain nameless). The problem is that I have only been to Santa Cruz like 2 times. The price is right, and I need to take summer school. I was considering Santa Barbara, but I would be much closer to my girl who goes to cal, if Santa Cruz was my choice. What is the city like? Is the Beach good? What will summer school be like at UCSC? Any decent card rooms close? Any info from anyone in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Catch-

Evan
04-21-2005, 02:07 AM
I am one of those that are "remaining nameless." Well, I guess I'm not anymore. Anyway, I am interested in these answerers too, except for the ones about school. So respond bitches!

Alobar
04-21-2005, 02:10 AM
dunno jack about the city, but they make a sweet ass mountain bike

scrub
04-21-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am one of those that are "remaining nameless." Well, I guess I'm not anymore. Anyway, I am interested in these answerers too, except for the ones about school. So respond bitches!

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw Santa Barbara. In Santa Cruz you get to drink with me.

Plus, Bay 101 rules.

scrub

ceyoung
04-21-2005, 02:16 AM
UCSC used to give evaluations instead of grades, so there was a big problem transferring credits. most other colleges don't have a metric to translate "did well on first tests, completed his homework on time" into a useable letter grade. I think they might have changed it, so that you can request letter grades.

BWebb
04-21-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UCSC used to give evaluations instead of grades, so there was a big problem transferring credits. most other colleges don't have a metric to translate "did well on first tests, completed his homework on time" into a useable letter grade. I think they might have changed it, so that you can request letter grades.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do letter grades now.

Evan
04-21-2005, 02:23 AM
Gettign drunk with scrub rules. Getting drunk with scrub by drinking shots of Jager with every flop while playing NL rules, too, but in a more expensive way.

scrub
04-21-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gettign drunk with scrub rules. Getting drunk with scrub by drinking shots of Jager with every flop while playing NL rules, too, but in a more expensive way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I owned you by a wider margin in the shots or the NL, but there was ownage aplenty.../images/graemlins/smile.gif

scrub

Evan
04-21-2005, 02:30 AM
I am pretty sure that I did not get owned in shots. This is all based on empirical evidence of course, as I don't remember the vast majority of it--namely my second buy in.

scrub
04-21-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure that I did not get owned in shots. This is all based on empirical evidence of course, as I don't remember the vast majority of it--namely my second buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your second buyin lasted about two minutes.

Then you took a nap on the table while the game went on for another two hours...

scrub

Evan
04-21-2005, 02:38 AM
This is my sequence of memories from that night:
-drink poorly made gimlet in ed's room
-drink shot of jager to start game
-get JJ on my first hand-->find out JJ isn't as good in NL as limit
-drink lots of jager
-wake up, very cold, with Forest asking for his jacket back
-wake up in ed's room confused and in pain

Evan
04-21-2005, 02:41 AM
I would like to point out that I am still very interested in info about Santa Cruz. So if everyone with some relevant answers could ignore the posts about scrub and I drinking a liter of jager, I'd appreciate it.

scrub
04-21-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is my sequence of memories from that night:
-drink poorly made gimlet in ed's room
-drink shot of jager to start game
-get JJ on my first hand-->find out JJ isn't as good in NL as limit
-drink lots of jager
-wake up, very cold, with Forest asking for his jacket back
-wake up in ed's room confused and in pain
-eating discount sushi and then inventing the greatest sport ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

scrub

Evan
04-21-2005, 02:59 AM
Yea, good looking out. Long live tableball!!

p.s. last hijack post in this thread because I am going to bed.

Sponger15SB
04-21-2005, 03:00 AM
You guys need to get your own chat room, or bedroom.

SGS
04-21-2005, 03:19 AM
I visited UCSC and didn't really like the campus much at all. In fact that was what deterred me from going there. Everything is really seperated and secluded. I was told this is because they didn't want the students close together in fear of demonstrations or something when the school was built? I don't really know why it is but everything is pretty seperated.

Didn't stay long no idea on the nightlife, card rooms, etc. Good luck.

SGS

Shillx
04-21-2005, 03:34 AM
Fun place but it is quickly becoming expensive. I don't have any exact numbers but from what I hear it might be getting out of control rent wise. I live 50 miles up route 1 in Half Moon Bay. Town has a real college feel with good parties (so I hear from HS buddies that moved down there). It is a big time pot smoking town but I guess the drinking scene is good too though. It can become overwhelming if you are really into that lifestyle though. The closest room that I know of is Bay 101, but it is super nice. You should have lots of fun if you decide to move there.

Brad

Catch of the Day
04-21-2005, 03:55 AM
Thanks. This was exactly what I was looking for.

Catch-

sfer
04-21-2005, 10:37 AM
It's a fun town with decent beaches and surfing (stellar by Bay Area standards, meh by SoCal standards). It's a hippie town with plenty of drugs if you're into that, and it's a couple of hours from SF/Oakland/San Jose and such. For Evan this is a no-brainer.

FWIW, I'll be out in the Bay Area around July or so.