PDA

View Full Version : Tip cup protocol

gonores
04-21-2005, 12:34 AM
OK, how often and how much should I be tipping in these tip cups they have a restaurants where they prep your food right in front of you (Qdoba, Subway, Quizno's, Chipotle are a few examples off the top of my head). Up to this point, I've taken the Mr. Pink philosophy of only tipping for extraordinary service. I'd say I've had ~500 meals in places like these since I started playing poker, and I've tipped $5 once, $2 maybe 10 times, $1 20 times, and pocket change 100 times. Am I a dick?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried searching for it.

ThaSaltCracka
04-21-2005, 12:35 AM
nothing.

[censored]
04-21-2005, 12:39 AM
I have no idea how much you should do but I can tell you that you are tipping more than most do. Thus as long as you aren't going around hiring friends as P.A's you are probably not a dick.

touchfaith
04-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Tip Subway....lol

I just act like it's the "need a penny" tray at 7-11. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Yobz
04-21-2005, 12:51 AM
I once asked a person that worked at a local video place who gets the tips. Their answer: "I don't know." I doubt the employee is actually getting the tips at Subway, either...

Alobar
04-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Im a very genereous tipper and even I dont tip the subway people. Should I tip the guy at buger king, and the taco bell guy too? [censored] that, there is no difference between the two.

holeplug
04-21-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've tipped $5 once

[/ QUOTE ]

How big were her boobs?

bogey
04-21-2005, 01:00 AM
I agree tip nothing. Tipping is so weird. These people or the ones who make espresso drinks do so much more work than dealers or bartenders.

DireWolf
04-21-2005, 01:14 AM
You been walking down state street a little too much i think.

jgorham
04-21-2005, 01:23 AM
I was with you in this regard, until I worked at a theater snackbar. I tell you man, realizing that my amount of tips for the day > $10 made me unexplicably happy. So now I try to spread the joy, and usually toss in any change I get, and if not that then a dollar.

JaBlue
04-21-2005, 01:38 AM
i generally give them the change from my meal because I tend to lose it anyway

chesspain
04-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Although I always tips those whose incomes depend on tips (e.g. waitstaff, dealers, chambermaids, etc.), I've stopped putting money into one of those stupid cups at the counter of a take-out food establishment, mostly due to the rare number of times that I ever hear one of the typical, braindead clerks say "Thank You."

shawn_p
04-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Loose change is certainly an adequate gratuity in a situation such as this. Most employees who work at fast food or take-out places are high school kids who live with their parents and don’t need to be overpaid or over tipped for their services. The others who work at these places either live at home well after high school and have drug problems or are mentally challenged. I have no sympathy for the former and the latter are taken care of and don’t care themselves whether they get an extra fifty cents a day from me.
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Sponger15SB
04-21-2005, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say I've had ~500 meals in places like these since I started playing poker, and I've tipped $5 once, $2 maybe 10 times, $1 20 times, and pocket change 100 times. Am I a dick?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. These places don't get enouch tips to care that much anyways, they should be happy with whatever they get.

At the places that I realllly like, I tip pocket change or a buck every so often.

housenuts
04-21-2005, 03:58 AM
sometimes i'll throw in my pennies, nickels, and dimes. quarters if i'm in a good mood or if they were nice. alot of the time i won't put anything in though because they might see it as insulting if i'm throwing 8 cents in their jar. i dunno. i don't think they expect tips there, and their wages definitely aren't set low because they figure tips to be part of their income (ie. restaurant servers) the tip is just a bonus for them and there is no requirement whatsoever to tip.

on a side note, when i'm grocery shopping i'll often throw my change < $1 or less in the charity jar if it's a hot cashier. also at mcdonalds i usually put my loose shrappy in the ronald mcdonalds kids foundation thing.

Happy Hour
04-21-2005, 06:00 AM
Unless I'm in an Al Czervik mood where I tip everyone, I don't put anything in those tip jars unless they do an absolutely fantastic out-of-the-ordinary job. (Hot girls never get tips, though.)

TStoneMBD
04-21-2005, 06:03 AM
i tip everytime that i feel i was issued good service. if i think that the person cares a little bit about my comfort, then that motherfucker is getting a georgeybill.

when i go to a place that prepares food for me, i go out of my way to look for the tip cup. when i dont see one, i will sometimes ask why there isnt one.

i want to tip dammit!

jakethebake
04-21-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

sfer
04-21-2005, 10:26 AM
There are a couple of local cafes that I'll tip a dollar everytime I go because (1) they're not Starbucks, (2) they have really, really, really good coffee, (3) the employees are good at making their really, really, really good coffee.

M2d
04-21-2005, 10:36 AM
what if high school counter kid took the quarter you tossed into the cup and tapped it on the counter? would you be satisfied then?

tek
04-21-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Although I always tips those whose incomes depend on tips (e.g. waitstaff, dealers, chambermaids, etc.), I've stopped putting money into one of those stupid cups at the counter of a take-out food establishment, mostly due to the rare number of times that I ever hear one of the typical, braindead clerks say "Thank You."

[/ QUOTE ]

I tip dealers who say thank you more than those who don't.