PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving from ring games to SNG, what is a safe bankroll?

ZimbuTheMonkey
04-21-2005, 12:12 AM
I intend to play 20+2 or 30+3, what is a safe bankroll for those limits?

holeplug
04-21-2005, 12:17 AM
50 buyins should be fine if you never want to go broke

ZimbuTheMonkey
04-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Oh, I'm well within the safe zone then. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks.

tech
04-21-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what is a safe bankroll for those limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

How good are you?

ZimbuTheMonkey
04-21-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm a winning player at NL (25/50/100) and limit (.5/1, 1/2, 2/4, 3/6).

TruFloridaGator
04-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Do you plan on multi or single tabling?

Scuba Chuck
04-21-2005, 12:58 AM
The real question is "Will you be an active/good contributor to our forum?"

ZimbuTheMonkey
04-21-2005, 01:09 AM
I plan on single tabling, and MAYBE, just maybe two-tabling. And yes, I plan to contribute once I am experienced in SNGs. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But for now, expect a lot of dumb questions from me.

TruFloridaGator
04-21-2005, 01:17 AM
If you're singling, then 30 buy-ins is probably more than enough, & if you're 2 tabling then probably double.

Scuba Chuck
04-21-2005, 01:20 AM
How many tables did you play at a time in ring games?

Argus
04-21-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're singling, then 30 buy-ins is probably more than enough, & if you're 2 tabling then probably double.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why does multi-tabling double your variance?

ZimbuTheMonkey
04-21-2005, 01:27 AM
I'm comfortable with four-tabling in the ring games. But I usually stick to 2-3.

Scuba Chuck
04-21-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm comfortable with four-tabling in the ring games. But I usually stick to 2-3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then, once you're comfortable, this is what you'll do here.

By the way, what kind of $/hr were you making in ring games 3 tabling? I ask as I am considering a transition to ring games on occasion.

ZimbuTheMonkey
04-21-2005, 01:35 AM
In NL at the moment, I have 7.8BB/100 with 17k hands. I used to have much more data, but it's all on my old hard drive. I don't play limit anymore, but I'll start it back up soon.

What is your winrate at the SNGs?

Degen
04-21-2005, 01:36 AM
these guys are pretty tight w/ the bankroll stuff. 500 will be plenty for the 22's and 33's if you are planning in some good hours, may not be enuff to go pro on but few swings dip below the ~20 buy-in level

good luck

Degen

Scuba Chuck
04-21-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In NL at the moment, I have 7.8BB/100

[/ QUOTE ]

So what does that jargon mean?

What are my success rates?

When I 4 tabled the $33s, I was in the mid 20% ROI range. I averaged about 5.3 games an hour.

Beginning this month, I made a commitment to only play the $55s. It's been a rough start. Through only 228 games, my ROI is 10%. I also don't think I average 5.3 games an hour anymore. More to report in another 6-8 weeks, when I can get 1500-2000 games (at the $55s) under my belt.

Scuba Chuck
04-21-2005, 01:51 AM
Here's my general bankroll guidelines. IMO, the number of tables you're playing has very little impact on your requred roll.

$300-$600 (10/1 SNGs)
$600-$1000 (20/2 SNGs)
$1000-$1700 (30/3 SNGs)
$1700-$3500 (50/5 SNGs)
$3500-$7000 (100/9 SNGs)
$7000+ (200/15 SNGs)

ZimbuTheMonkey
04-21-2005, 02:11 AM
Just tried a 20+2... got busted two off the money, I was shortstacked and had to pull a move, unfortunately it was at a wrong time...

EDIT: It must get discouraging losing 4-5 in a row. It seems like you invest so much time, only for nothing, when you're booted out.

The Yugoslavian
04-21-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? This is just wrong.

You only need a bigger bankroll if your ROI/ITM is plummeting. In fact.....you can give a good bankroll guideline without even *knowing* one's ROI and ITM...just that he/she is a winning player.

Scuba posted a good one I believe. It looks familiar though.../images/graemlins/confused.gif.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yugoslav

Apathy
04-21-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It must get discouraging losing 4-5 in a row. It seems like you invest so much time, only for nothing, when you're booted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 or 5 in a row? If my worst streak every day was 4-5 in a row I'm whistling a happy tune.

hummusx
04-21-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It must get discouraging losing 4-5 in a row. It seems like you invest so much time, only for nothing, when you're booted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 or 5 in a row? If my worst streak every day was 4-5 in a row I'm whistling a happy tune.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real trick is to keep starting them up so that you lose track of whether you are winning or losing. Oh yeah, you have to ignore the 'current balance' on the popup screen to confirm your entry. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

zambonidrivr
04-21-2005, 04:41 PM
my guess is that anyone named zimbuthemonkey really needs professional help in areas other than poker

valenzuela
04-21-2005, 04:45 PM
try 14 games on a row. If u play long enough you will suffer a bad streak like that.

Voltron87
04-21-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my guess is that anyone named zimbuthemonkey really needs professional help in areas other than poker

[/ QUOTE ]

this wouldn't be funny if your username wasn't "zambonidrivr" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blarg
04-21-2005, 05:39 PM
I'd say take the most conservative post you find and double it.

Most posts assume both that you will not hit extraordinary bouts of bad luck and that you are already a proven winning player. Most beginners are probably not winning players yet, and haven't had time to prove anything. And extraordinary bad luck -- yep, that can hit beginners too.

Worse yet, even ordinary bad luck can start them changing their game in weird ways and playing worse.

Take most of the bankroll and financial advice you see in 2+2 forums as advice appropriate to proven winning players. Just because someone who is beating the game finds a X sized bankroll adequate doesn't mean everyone else will. The adequate size bankroll for a losing player is infinite. Draw your line somewhere between infinity and what you see recommended here. Doubling what the most conservative posters here recommend would probably be a decent ballpark figure.

Route246
04-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Very good advice, especially about the bad streaks.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say take the most conservative post you find and double it.

Most posts assume both that you will not hit extraordinary bouts of bad luck and that you are already a proven winning player. Most beginners are probably not winning players yet, and haven't had time to prove anything. And extraordinary bad luck -- yep, that can hit beginners too.

Worse yet, even ordinary bad luck can start them changing their game in weird ways and playing worse.

Take most of the bankroll and financial advice you see in 2+2 forums as advice appropriate to proven winning players. Just because someone who is beating the game finds a X sized bankroll adequate doesn't mean everyone else will. The adequate size bankroll for a losing player is infinite. Draw your line somewhere between infinity and what you see recommended here. Doubling what the most conservative posters here recommend would probably be a decent ballpark figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

KingDan
04-21-2005, 07:46 PM
While four tabling the 20s, at one point I ran on -18 Buyin loss streak. I now I have it beat, just not enough of a sample size to accurately give ROI.
I'm trying to think what this is, in terms of a BB swing. Can someone ballpark it?

yoadrians
04-21-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just tried a 20+2... got busted two off the money, I was shortstacked and had to pull a move, unfortunately it was at a wrong time...

EDIT: It must get discouraging losing 4-5 in a row. It seems like you invest so much time, only for nothing, when you're booted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I read in a post about SNGs here a few months back has really, really helped me. It went something like this, and I apologize to the person who wrote it for not giving them their due credit ... this didn't come from me, but, again, it really helps:

Don't look at one single SNG as a victory or defeat. Rather, look at all the SNGs you play as kind of an ongoing thing, and take a look at the number a couple of hundred in.

You missed out two from the money in one SNG? I'd be more interested in if you made the right play when you busted out.

Again, don't let the single result of one or two SNGs get you down ... or up, for that matter. Just keep good records on how you are doing over time, and let us know a few months from now how things are going.

Good luck, my man.

Slim Pickens
04-21-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Again, don't let the single result of one or two <font color="red"> thousand </font> SNGs get you down ... or up, for that matter. Just keep good records on how you are doing over time, and let us know a few months from now how things are going.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Slim

yoadrians
04-21-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Again, don't let the single result of one or two <font color="red"> thousand </font> SNGs get you down ... or up, for that matter. Just keep good records on how you are doing over time, and let us know a few months from now how things are going.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Slim

[/ QUOTE ]

Well-put Slim. Only meant he needs to keep his eyes on the longterm prize and not get bent out of shape by a game here or there.

But your response is better.

Misfire
04-21-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My worst so far is 9 OTM, but I'm still playing in the kiddie pool. /images/graemlins/grin.gif