PDA

View Full Version : Out of movies to watch HELP!

Glenn
11-08-2002, 05:42 AM
At this point in my life, I am beginning to hate every new movie I see. I go to the video store and walk around aimlessly. Seen it, seen it, has Keanu Reeves and and title doesn't start with "Bill", etc... I like all kinds of movies but like very few from each genre. Aside from lifetime movies of the week, there are few catergories omitted from my list of favorites. I am out of ideas, however. I have seen most of the "classics" and am looking for some lesser known quality films. They don't have to be artsy, etc..., they just have to have some unique value whether it be in the story or the implementation of some cinematic tool. So many new "hit" movies are just copies of lesser known older films it is getting annoying. For example portions of Dark City have been copied and cheapened many times in the 4 years since its release. The Dark City type movies are what I am looking for. I know a lot of you are fairly versed in film so I was hoping you could give me some suggestions. They don't have to be films that are completely obscure, anything that isn't totally obvious would be great. I will return the favor by beginning to post some of my favorites/recommendations.

Thanks

-glenn

Ed Miller
11-08-2002, 06:13 AM
Make sure you've seen every movie by Stanley Kubrick. A lesser-known one that I'd particularly recommend is The Killing. It's a fun and groundbreaking film.

Glenn
11-08-2002, 06:33 AM
I will rent The Killing, it looks cool. As far as Kubrick goes I have mixed feelings. I agree with Andy Fox that Eyes Wide Shut is the worst movie ever. However Strangelove and the Shining are great. 2001 is an important film but isn't really my thing although I think I watched it when I was pretty young so maybe I should try again. Clockwork is decent but is overrated because it is "shocking" or something. That's what the sheltered tell me anyway /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . Full Metal Jacket is the same way, it is worth watching, but compared to the other great Vietnam movies it is nothing. Paths of Glory is very good, but once was enough.

Ed Miller
11-08-2002, 06:56 AM
When you talk about the worst movie ever... may you never forget that they made a Meatballs 3.

Glenn
11-08-2002, 07:07 AM
Movies like Meatballs 3 and Ernest goes to the Proctologist or whatever are bad but Eyes Wide Shut is worse becuase the I think the filmmakers actually tried when they made it.

11-08-2002, 07:28 AM
Dark City is the worst movie I have ever seen.

Rick Nebiolo
11-08-2002, 08:51 AM
Glen,

Not "John Cole Obscure or Artsy Fartsy" but in most cases overlooked here are a few off the top of my head.

Mystic Pizza
Circle of Friends
The Last Seduction
Red Rock West
One False Move
Ulee's Gold
Federal Hill
Das Boot
Say Anything
The Right Stuff
Fargo
A Simple Plan
Blood and Wine
Raise the Red Lantern
Trees Lounge
Lone Star

This is the best I can do this late /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Regards,

Rick

11-08-2002, 09:43 AM
i feel the same way about What Dreams May Come. ugh.

Pat

John Cole
11-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Okay, a few in the not in the "John Cole Obscure" category:

Every movie by Preston Sturges, but Miracle at Morgan's Creek and Sullivan's Travels in particular.

Also, the comedies of Ersnt Lubitsch, especially The Shop Around the Corner.

The documentaries of Errol Morris (too bad Wiseman's not on video).

Three moives with that great actor Wallace Shawn: The Princess Bride (Inconceivable!), My Dinner with Andre, and the best film of the 90's, Vanya on 42nd Street.

Coppola's The Conversation.

The movies called the Hollywood Comedies of Remarriage by Stanley Cavell in his book Pursuits of Happiness: Bringing up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, Adam's Rib, The Lady Eve (Sturges), It Happened One Night,and others.

Bad Day at Black Rock--a great underrated film with Spencer Tracy.

Tossup between Slap Shot and The Bad News Bears (am I being lowbrow enough here, Rick?)

Okay, one obscure one, From the Diaries of Jean Seberg, which features a stunning performance by Mary Beth Hurt.

By the way, I also liked Mystic Pizza and recommend Dogfight and Who Shot Andy Warhol? for Lili Taylor.

Finally, The Singing Detective from the BBC (Pennies From Heaven, written by Dennis Potter, will also do).

John

11-08-2002, 12:27 PM
stick to caddyshack, i get royalties

11-08-2002, 01:23 PM
some of my favorites that not many other people have seen:

Boondock Saints
Pi
Requiem for a Dream(be careful on this one, a little graphic towards the end)

There are some other ones, but I can't think of them right now.....

Enjoy

Gavin

Homer
11-08-2002, 02:36 PM
I saw Pi and it just got me pissed off. I think it could be that I am too stupid to understand the deeper meaning, though.

-- Homer

Jeffage
11-08-2002, 03:20 PM
Well I'm a big fan of indie movies, so I'll recommend some good ones. I really like Igby Goes Down (great coming of age tale...if u've ever been confused by your lot in life, good stuff), Auto Focus (which I just saw...it's about the life of Bob Crane who starred in Hogan's Heros, very SICK guy...great movie), Y Tu Mama Tambien (in Spanish, but truly one of the most universal road trip movies I've ever seen...lots of sex in it, but it's about more than that....life, growing up, realizing that the selfish ways of youth have to change when you become man...it is so funny and also so sad at times...a critically acclaimed treat, but if some graphic material bothers u..stay away), Waking Life (only if you like existentialist talk about the meaning of life...a VERY unique film, shot live action and then "painted over" for a unique look...gotta see it to believe, basically a series of VERY interesting convos--u'll either love it or hate it, but it'll get you thinking). I could seriously go on and on....as for mainstream fare, all the Cohen Bros Stuff (esp. underated Blood Simple), Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, Goodfellas, Trainspotting, Apocalypse Now, The Wild Bunch, Unforgiven. Enjoy and I'd like other people's comments on these films. Check IMDB at www.imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com) for summaries, reviews, etc.

Jeff

Jeffage
11-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Pi is an absolutely great flick...it is basically a mind bending journey of a man's mental breakdown...his obsession that his genius in numbers holds the brutal truth of how the world works and the meaning of life drives him to the edge...I mean, there isn't much deeper meaning but this is some riveting stuff and had me thinking for day's afterwards...how someone so possessed by genius can drive himself crazy trying to uncover truths that are not readily apparent.

Jeff (yes, I have no life)

Homer
11-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Hey Jeff, I got what you said out of the movie but it didn't lead me into deeper thought. It could very well be that I am braindead from watching sitcoms, which typically require you to leave your brain at the door. Also, all that beer in college probably didn't help too much. Seriously though, I tend to obsess over strange topics sometimes, but it typically doesn't stem from watching movies. The latest thought I have been having that keeps me awake at night is how it is possible to spend an eternity in heaven/hell after death (if you believe in that sort of thing). I lay there wresting with how something can not end. It makes no sense to me and I blow my mind thinking about it. Yes, I am quite odd.

-- Homer

brad
11-08-2002, 04:21 PM
i brought up an eternal moment existing outside of time (straight from joseph campbell) in a class discussion a long time ago and blew everyones mind.

11-08-2002, 05:56 PM
In an essay on David Lynch, David Foster Wallace completely trashes PI, Homer, so you are in good company.

John

11-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Four Words for you:

JUNK IN THE TRUNK

baggins
11-08-2002, 07:11 PM
was that the essay from 'A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again'?. i dont remember the part about him trashing Pi, but i believe you.

i still like it. not because its artsy or whatever. i just like it. im not defending it.

i agree with the above suggestions for Cohen Bros. Stuff (yes, Bloodsimple is great. check out Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, and of course The Big Lebowski).

i hated Tree's Lounge.

i couldn't STAND Dancer In The Dark, but many other people acclaim it, and look daggers into your soul if you badmouth it. the movie was too goddamn depressing to me. i physically couldn't bring myself to watch another second after the first hour or so.

Boondock Saints is awesome awesome awesome.

Smokey and the Bandit rules.

a foreign one (i think by somebody involved with Amelie, which i haven't seen yet) called Delicatessen is pretty cool.

Terry Gilliam movies are good. Brazil, Time Bandits, 12 Monkeys...

Princess Bride is a classic. i just watched Castaway again the other night on TV. i liked that movie. made me cry, even. Amadeus is good. The Prophecy is good. PootieTang is hilarious. The Great Escape is good. Waking Ned Devine is good. Disney's Robin Hood is awesome. Shakespeare in Love is good. Elizabeth is good. anything with Ed Norton is pretty good. Moulin Rouge is good.

i can't think of the obscure ones right now. maybe later.

bernie
11-09-2002, 12:07 AM
real cool and very well written flick.

another one, if you havent seen it already, is Afterhours. very different flick. i thought it was cool....

Quills? that one was alot better than i expected ya cant beat the marque de sade

b

bernie
11-09-2002, 12:23 AM
i liked trees lounge...maybe because ive been in some of those types of bars, and drank with those types of losers...the movie didnt really go anywhere, but it was a little slice of heaven wasnt it? hhahahaah

for jeff....

shawshank....i seem to like stephen kings non horror flicks. im not a big fan of his scary movies. this one was around 3 hours that seemed like only 1. great flick...

unforgiven....one of my favs....when the lil [censored] starts hearin about munny's past from the hooker, THATs the look i like to see on my opponents on a card table. utter realization of fear!
take another swig mr munny....

that and the usual fare of Jenna Jameson and Brianna Banks tide me over.....heh heh...

seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ya!

b

JustSomeJackass
11-19-2002, 10:56 PM

JustSomeJackass
11-19-2002, 10:59 PM
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif j/k