PDA

View Full Version : manual or automatic?

john smith
04-20-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm trying to buy a new car right now (93-95 Mazda Rx-7) and I'm faced with the decision of whether to get a manual or an automatic. While there's a big part of me that wants to get a manual since I hear it's much more fun and plus it'd be hard not to feel like a pansy driving an Rx-7/sportscar with a automatic, my job is in L.A. and I go through a lot of heavy traffic every morning which would be pretty annoying with a stick shift.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this matter.

istewart
04-20-2005, 07:49 PM
If you're driving in a city it's clearly automatic.

mostsmooth
04-20-2005, 07:50 PM
manual
always get a manual, if they dont have a manual available, get a stick

Freakin
04-20-2005, 07:56 PM
If you're getting a 3rd gen RX-7, get a manual. You'd be an enormous pussy otherwise. It's like getting an automatic Ferrari just so that your wife can drive it.

Freakin

BusterStacks
04-20-2005, 07:58 PM
That car is gonna explode in LA traffic. It gets REALLY hot under the hood. I had one for a while. I hope this is not your only vehicle.

Anders_G
04-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Manual. And it's not close.

Alobar
04-20-2005, 08:10 PM
automatic sports cars are for pussies.

Driving an automatic is alot nicer than driving a stick tho. (I spent 10 years witha stick, I just baught an automatic cuz thast the onyl way my vehicle came, I wasnt looking forward to it cuz I hated the thought of it. 3 months later and im grateful it isnt a stick)

Corey
04-20-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Manual. And it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

spamuell
04-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Everyone who wants to be a man or sound cool is going to say a manual.

I have a manual and driving in traffic absolutely sucks compared to an automatic. However, I just drove home at about 1am on a Tuesday night and the streets were really empty, abusing 2nd and 3rd gears to drive extremely fast on narrow London roads at over twice the speed limit was very fun.

But if you're going to be sitting in traffic every single day, I would definitely recommend an automatic.

shadow29
04-20-2005, 08:16 PM
I sit in Atlanta traffic most days and driving a man. isn't that bad.

Plus you're definetly a huge pussy if you have that car with an auto.

Man's are definetly tons cooler and much more fun to drive.

fluxrad
04-20-2005, 08:20 PM
I hear that the Automatic version of the RX-7 comes with a kit to help you make sure your vagina stays clean.

Automatic sports cars are for middle-aged women.

Lawrence Ng
04-20-2005, 08:22 PM
I prefer automatic. Driving stickshift is tough when my girl blows me and i gotta keep moving my right hand above her.

Lawrence

The Goober
04-20-2005, 08:24 PM
If the time you spend in traffic is going to dominate your car decision, then don't get an Rx7. If you can afford it, get a prius - then the car will just shut off completely when you're in a traffic jam. Otherwise, just get a comfortable econo-box.

If you're like me and want a fun car - traffic be damned - then just get a stick shift. Learn to leave large gaps in front of you in traffic and won't have to ride the clutch so much. I don't usually buy into macho bullshit, but I can't help laughing at sports cars with an automatic transmission.

MelchyBeau
04-20-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
always get a manual, if they dont have a manual available, get a stick

[/ QUOTE ]

whats the difference between a manual and a stick? I always thought they were the same

Melch

Blarg
04-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Nothing about driving an automatic is particularly fun, but it's a lot less stress in L.A. traffic. I drove a stick shift for so long that I thought I could never do anything but hate automatics, but I had to run errands at work for someone and use his car, and then on different times I had to rent a van, and after using automatics for a while I realized they weren't so bad at all really. Pretty damn nice actually. They're just not for fun; they're for different things. And they're good at them.

jar
04-20-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear this all the time, and I just don't get it. My only car is a manual, and it's just not that hard to push and extra pedal when you stop. If you were driving back before modern cable or hydraulic clutches and pushing the clutch required serious effort, I could understand. In today's automobiles, I don't buy it.

Bukem_
04-20-2005, 08:32 PM
I drive a manual and it becomes second nature after awhile. Traffic doesn't bother me. If anything it helps you from going out of your mind from boredom.

edtost
04-20-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're getting a 3rd gen RX-7, get a manual. You'd be an enormous pussy otherwise. It's like getting an automatic Ferrari just so that your wife can drive it.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

i wanna be me
04-20-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear this all the time, and I just don't get it. My only car is a manual, and it's just not that hard to push and extra pedal when you stop. If you were driving back before modern cable or hydraulic clutches and pushing the clutch required serious effort, I could understand. In today's automobiles, I don't buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

plus it's so much easier on gas than an automatic.

spamuell
04-20-2005, 09:07 PM
it's just not that hard to push and extra pedal when you stop.

No, it's not that hard, but it would be easier not to.

I agree though with the people who say that if you're going to get a sports car, you're clearly getting a car for the purpose of driving and you might as well get a manual. But I still think having a manual is a hassle in traffic compared to an automatic, and I probably spend over half of the time I drive in traffic.

peachy
04-20-2005, 09:09 PM
manual...i go through atlanta traffic which is worse...and my manual blows...but i dont do it daily right now. If i did i would just use my spare car thats an automatic

ethan
04-20-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive a manual and live in LA. It's not that bad during traffic, and it's a hell of a lot better at night.

OtisTheMarsupial
04-20-2005, 09:22 PM
No contest, manual.

You're planning on DRIVINNG, right?

JMP300z
04-20-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mostsmooth
04-20-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

plus it's so much easier on gas than an automatic.

[/ QUOTE ]
plus automatic trans are $$$$ to fix, manuals trans dont break

mmbt0ne
04-20-2005, 09:46 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I sit in Atlanta traffic most days and driving a man. isn't that bad.

Plus you're definetly a huge pussy if you have that car with an auto.

Man's are definetly tons cooler and much more fun to drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothumb
04-20-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer automatic. Driving stickshift is tough when my girl blows me and i gotta keep moving my right hand above her.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're poking all those high-class hookers, for $200 a blow they should be able to take an elbow to the kidneys or two.

NT

BadBoyBenny
04-21-2005, 12:00 AM
If you talk on a cellphone or smoke cigarettes while driving in traffic, having a manual can be annoying. Other than that I prefer them.

Dead
04-21-2005, 12:01 AM
A 5-speed can get incredibly tiresome in stop and go traffic.

And LA traffic is pretty awful. I would get the auto.

handsome
04-21-2005, 12:17 AM
I bet you half the guys who responded manual don't even drive manual themselves. I've been driving a manual Accord since August and I'll be selling it next month because of the hassles of traffic. Get an automatic or you'll regret it.

mmbt0ne
04-21-2005, 12:25 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I bet you half the guys who responded manual don't even drive manual themselves. I've been driving a manual Accord since August and I'll be selling it next month because of the hassles of traffic. Get an automatic or you'll regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you have a gigantic vagina doesn't mean I'm talking out my ass.