PDA

View Full Version : A9s hand, played perfectly?

DontRaisePlz
04-20-2005, 07:23 PM
PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (5.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds...

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Table of dumbasses. CO is 7/0/1.6 (raised .89% of his 112 total postflop actions) through 73 hands.

Buckmulligan
04-20-2005, 07:26 PM
I think I call that raise on the river.

shadow29
04-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Folding the river sucks.

DontRaisePlz
04-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Why are you guys giving so much credit to a player who has a VP$IP OF 6?? I didnt even know it was humanly possible to have a stat that low.

DeathDonkey
04-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Your sample size is pretty small, he could just be cold decked for 75 hands. Regardless I think that river put you in a tough spot. You chop with alot but with his stats it seems like your beat. I might have just solved this problem by checking behind on the river.

-DeathDonkey

Greg J
04-20-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I might have just solved this problem by checking behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think I agree here. I don't like the river fold either. I think I check behind the river here.

aK13
04-20-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think I agree here. I don't like the river fold either. I think I check behind the river here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check behind? Missing a value bet here more often than not. I'd make the crying call.

Buckmulligan
04-20-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? does the flush or the 7 bother you?

fluxrad
04-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Bet the flop. Turn is fine. I check the river.

Shillx
04-20-2005, 08:08 PM

Yeah good catch. I didn't see that our hand is chopping with A-x at 1st glance. There is also somewhat of a reduced chance that he has a queen since he didn't bet into us on the flop as he might do if he flopped top pair. I think checking behind is the best play against a tight player. Against a loose player I wold be more inclined to bet here since you will see a lot of odd calls being made.

Brad

Somekid
04-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Well if the CO is really that tight then I guess you can fold. But I almost always make a crying call here.

Greg J
04-20-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A better or tying hand is not folding. Betting will often just contribute to the rake of an otherwise split pot, thus devaluing the value bet. The hand that raises usually beats you. This is not a classic value bet situation.

aK13
04-20-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A better or tying hand is not folding. Betting will often just contribute to the rake of an otherwise split pot, thus devaluing the value bet. The hand that raises usually beats you. This is not a classic value bet situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice the Q taking care of kicker problems. Check behind is right, as this is a chop or lose situation. My mistake.

Malachii
04-20-2005, 09:10 PM
I'd bet the flop. Very weak board, you just need to play your position and pick it up.

cmwck
04-20-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the flop. Very weak board, you just need to play your position and pick it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two people have said bet the flop so far. Doesn't anyone see a problem with betting ace high into 4 opponents? Are you hoping they will all fold?

Aaron W.
04-20-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting the flop with a weak draw and 4 opponents is spewing. Take your free card and hope you hit something worth playing.

Roybert
04-20-2005, 09:22 PM
I don't like the preflop raise, but I don't hate it either. I think it's too aggressive, but whatever.

I really don't agree with the raise on the turn. This hand is too easily dominated and you don't have any redraws. On the river, why bet into someone who showed you aggression if you were going to fold to one back? You could check/call and show down for the same price.

Malachii
04-20-2005, 09:31 PM
I disagree. The board is weak, we can conclude from the lack of flop action that no one has a queen. This is the perfect spot to bet the flop and then bet the turn if checked to. It will work often enough to be profitable. A person would need AK to have two overcards... most players will take one off and then fold the turn unimproved.

grjr
04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two people have said bet the flop so far. Doesn't anyone see a problem with betting ace high into 4 opponents? Are you hoping they will all fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll almost always bet the flop here to try and weed out SOMEBODY. If Hero had bet this one he may have folded out the CO and his J8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

"If you don't bet they cannot fold"

Edit: Meant to say J8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif not J7

Catt
04-20-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folding the river sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

SippinSoma
04-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Checking behind would be perfect. You're beat a lot of ways. Given your read, I wouldn't cry about folding this river.

Catt
04-20-2005, 11:48 PM
How is he beat a lot of ways? Runner-runner flush or a very small number of hands that a reasonable player might limp PF right? (I use "reasonable" loosely as Villain's stats are over a smallish sample but the 7 VPIP indicates that he's not a loosey-goosey).

cold_cash
04-20-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Folding the river sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So does betting the flop.

Catt
04-20-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Folding the river sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who bet the flop?

cold_cash
04-21-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Folding the river sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody, but there were a few replies that said it was a good idea.

SippinSoma
04-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Alright, maybe not a lot of ways. I still have a nasty feeling he's beat here more than 11/12 times against a rock like this. And if not, he's splitting just about every other hand.

Catt
04-21-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Folding the river sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody, but there were a few replies that said it was a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops; thought you were replying to advice I gave . . .

cold_cash
04-21-2005, 12:13 AM
No, sorry. I was just hopping aboard the "_____ sucks" train.

Isura
04-21-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. The board is weak, we can conclude from the lack of flop action that no one has a queen. This is the perfect spot to bet the flop and then bet the turn if checked to. It will work often enough to be profitable. A person would need AK to have two overcards... most players will take one off and then fold the turn unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about what kinds of hands are calling the flop? Weak Q's, A7,A3, overcards, and monster hands (2 pair or better on this board) slowplaying. Not enough of these hands are folding to a turn bet. Also, it's 5-handed and you have very little folding equity on the flop. You can't even expect your Ace to be clean. I'd say 2 outs you have including the BDFD. This is a horrible spot to get aggressive with Ace high.

Malachii
04-21-2005, 03:19 AM
I'll concede that betting the turn again would be read dependent. Nevertheless, you're risking 1 bet to win 10 bets on this flop. It's a HIGHLY bluffable board, Hero raised before the flop, and the only possible draw is a gutshot. Personally, I would bet this flop every time.