PDA

View Full Version : Bet to determine where opponent is. Where am I going wrong?

ChipLeaderer
04-20-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm new to this forum, so please excuse the non-use of the card convertor. Not sure if this can be done with Bodog anyway. The cards are not central to the question though. More a question of whether this is the right strategy.

0.25/0.5 NL
Hero holds KQs in late position. Villian is on the button.

Hero raises to 2.5. Villian calls

Flop is 48J

Hero bets 3 dollars into Villian to determine if he has a J.
Villian cold calls.

Turn is 2.

Hero bets 6 dollars into Villian. Villian calls again.

River is 4.

Hero bets 12 dollars into Villian. Villian calls.

Of course the Villian showed AJo and took the pot and I realize that this strategy is going to bleed me money.

However, I would like to adopt an aggressive style where I can take the pot with any flop even if I hold nothing as long as the villian does not hold anything either. What's the best way to do this?

Had I checked on the turn, the villian would have detected weakness and would have bet at me even if he had rags. Is this one of the reasons why late position is so preferred because there is no easy answer to this question?

Don't have an ego so experts feel free to trash my play. Just want to improve:)

mythrilfox
04-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Hands that are bet the whole way through like that one are usually bluffs. Don't do it, definitely give up on the river, if not the flop. By calling 6 the turn he sure as hell isn't going to fold for 12 on the river.

So he called the flop - what do you put him on? Either a jack or 9T or a medium pocket pair sounds about right.

So he called the turn - we can rule out the straight draw. Either 99-TT or AJ/KJ type hands. That kind of hand is NOT folding for $12 on the river. This is particularly true for a few reasons:

1. he is getting good pot odds
2. you raised in LP and have a lower chance of having a good hand
3. the board is jack high, you are less likely to raise with a jack in your hand than you are with an ace, king, or queen
4. you bet the whole way

Most players at lower limits are not sophisticated enough to call the flop with nothing and then bluff the turn. Don't worry about that. Don't try to win every pot. You can't, just because you check this time doesn't mean people will steal countless pots from you in the future. The way you start taking down pots with nothing is when you show down good hands. So next time you get ace king and flop TPTK, you bet right out like you normally would. Now you'll be much more likely to take down pots with nothing.

Of course, this is somewhat irrelevant, as it's assuming that opponents are actually paying attention to what you're showing down. In many cases, that is not true. At lower limits I just bet most every flop I raised preflop and hope for the best. Opponents are not observant enough to catch on to this.

Anyway, I would have given up after the flop. Given his range of hands, he is much more likely to have something made that can call you down rather than a straight draw.

Rickyroodido
04-20-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hands that are bet the whole way through like that one are usually bluffs. Don't do it, definitely give up on the river, if not the flop. By calling 6 the turn he sure as hell isn't going to fold for 12 on the river.

So he called the flop - what do you put him on? Either a jack or 9T or a medium pocket pair sounds about right.

So he called the turn - we can rule out the straight draw. Either 99-TT or AJ/KJ type hands. That kind of hand is NOT folding for $12 on the river. This is particularly true for a few reasons:

1. he is getting good pot odds
2. you raised in LP and have a lower chance of having a good hand
3. the board is jack high, you are less likely to raise with a jack in your hand than you are with an ace, king, or queen
4. you bet the whole way

Most players at lower limits are not sophisticated enough to call the flop with nothing and then bluff the turn. Don't worry about that. Don't try to win every pot. You can't, just because you check this time doesn't mean people will steal countless pots from you in the future. The way you start taking down pots with nothing is when you show down good hands. So next time you get ace king and flop TPTK, you bet right out like you normally would. Now you'll be much more likely to take down pots with nothing.

Of course, this is somewhat irrelevant, as it's assuming that opponents are actually paying attention to what you're showing down. In many cases, that is not true. At lower limits I just bet most every flop I raised preflop and hope for the best. Opponents are not observant enough to catch on to this.

Anyway, I would have given up after the flop. Given his range of hands, he is much more likely to have something made that can call you down rather than a straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice reply! I just want to adress the direct question: "...is that why position is so important". -yes!