PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area Sports Bashing

M2d
11-07-2002, 08:08 PM
I realize that none of these examples are connected, but, after seeing the same ol' $#!+ happen time and time again, I'm convinced that (much as it pains me to say so, being a Bay Area resident) the Bay area does not deserve any major sports teams.
In baseball, There's the Art Howe/Dusty Baker examples. Two of the finest managers in MLB. One has reached the playoffs three years running, and the other brought a weak bench, suspect pitching staff and a linup that consisted of three decent bats to within two innings of the franchises first championship in almost fifty years. Both men were told thanks, but no thanks by their respective teams at the end of the year.
The Warriors are a joke, and have been for a decade. Most games have more visitors' fans there than home team fans.
The Raiders walk all over the city, and the city lets them. Add to that, the fact that they can't get anyone to show up and that those who do are a disgrace, and you see why they don't belong here.
The region's best supported team is the Sharks. great, right, except very few of the fans who show up know what the hell is going on!! It's a party that everyone's going to, but no one knows the guests of honor. In their defense, the fans have learned the game, but it really says something when a region that has six major sports franchises gets the most support for its NHL team. Especially when the region has almost zero annual snowfall!!
I always thought the Niners were the region's saving grace. They seemed to exude class (until the Yorks took over, at least). Plus, Eddie D's a gambler.
Now I hear rumblings that Mooch, the guy who helped rebuild the team after massive salary hemmoriges almost destroyed it a few years back is on the chopping block. An under-funded team that had to let its all world receiver go a few years ago, partially because of money, is in contention again, due in large part to the head coach's efforts. I've heard from a few places that Mariucci is gone if the Niners don't make the superbowl.

If that comes to fruition, that will be two of the best baseball managers and two of the brightest football headcoaches chased away in two years.

disgraceful.
Even if you take away Sonoma, Napa and Livermore, the Bay area would still be filled with whine.

11-08-2002, 12:34 PM
so the niners outspent everyone ala the yankees prior to the salary cap and cheated when the cap was implemented and Al Davis is a greasy crook, but look at the bright side, your within driving distance of pebble beach, arguably the greatest golf venue in the world. At least the niners, A's, Giants and sharks are competitive, which is more than you can say for most football prognosticators on this site.

Boris
11-08-2002, 01:22 PM
I'm a diehard A's fan and all I can say is that I hope Howe didn't let the door hit'em on the ass on his way out. The Mets can have'em. I could go on and on but basically there were alot of situations where Howe maybe didn't give his team the best chance to win. Besides that, I basically agree with everything you say in your post.

M2d
11-08-2002, 01:30 PM
Being with driving distance of Pebble is kind of like being within driving distance of Augusta National: Nice trivia, but I'll never play there. $325 per round just offends my sensibilities (and the course offends my abilities).
When my set, putter included, costs less than the greens fees for a round, I don't think I belong (built my own driver, 3w, irons, wedge bought on ebay). plus, I don't want to have to flirt with triple digits ever again. Maybe when i get down to low single digits I'll buck up and play Pebble. Then, I'll have a lock on a score in the mid ninties. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Long but wrong doesn't begin to describe my game.

M2d
11-08-2002, 01:34 PM
Given, Howe had his detractors, but I think his best performance was three seasons ago when he got a young team of no-names to come together and compete. Other managers who are more X's and O's types would probably have been like a square peg in the proverbial round hole in that situation.
Regardless, i think the A's handling of the situation reveals a lot about how they regard the fans. Howe, a manager with faults, but basically, a pretty good one, leaves, and they instantly sign a nobody with no experience. This when they have a proven winner on the market (Pinella) and another about to enter the fray (Baker).

Boris
11-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Ken Macha may not have any managerial experience but he's not exactly a nobody. Several teams were interested in him for a mangerial position.

HDPM
11-08-2002, 05:21 PM
Don't sweat the cash and play Pebble as soon as you can. You might die tomorrow. I have not played it yet, but I will. I had a day in SF to kill and almost rented a car, rented clubs, bought balls for $50 a dozen in the pro shop, bought shoes in the pro shop etc... I didn't because there was no guaranteed tee time and the weather was marginal. But Pebble is something you whip out the platinum card for and forget the price. Let the woman worry about the bill when it comes. Sometime I am going to book a room at the Lodge for several days to guarantee tee times. I figure 36 or 54 holes at Pebble, 18 at Spyglass and maybe 18 at Spanish Bay should be OK. Maybe I'll see if I can reserve for a twosome. I'll expect no whining about greens fees and we're taking caddies BTW. Women are sent to the spa where $350 buys a whirlpool and a glass of Chardonnay.

M2d
11-08-2002, 05:59 PM
I think you made an offer I can't refuse. I shudder to think about my score there, though.

Jimbo
11-08-2002, 06:35 PM
HDPM,

I have a signed, framed (#4899 of 10000) print of Pebble #7 opposite my desk on my office wall. I often daydream about gazing off into the ocean on a balmy day. I also have a print of hole #16 at Cypress but it is less impressive.

Jimbo

11-08-2002, 06:36 PM
While I agree that Pebble may be pricey, there are few courses in the world that compare to it and it is worth every dollar spent. It sounds as though your game is more of a factor in not playing than the money, which I admire you than for not playing.

there is nothing worse on the golf course than playing at an expensive or exclusive club and being placed behind a bunch of old hacks who hit everyother shot OB and then take ten minutes to look for their ball.