PDA

View Full Version : Pushing from Button into small stack, or SB into big stack

sofere
04-20-2005, 02:47 PM
I have noticed that I have been playing scared poker lately, mainly due to the amount of Ax, low PP calls I've been getting against my steals (and the fact that I'm not sucking out as much as I'd like /images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Stars format (13500 total chip pool)
Say you're 4-5 handed with 800 chips, to your immediate left is the chip leader with say 5000 chips and to his left is second small stack with 1200. Blinds are 50/100.

Neither opponent has done anything out of the ordinary, but one would assume the the big stack would have much looser calling standards than shorter stack.

Which position would require tighter pushing standards...stealing while on Button or in SB?

EverettKings
04-20-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which position would require tighter pushing standards...stealing while on Button or in SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely the button, for the sole reason that you have TWO people to act behind you. I understand that the button will call with more hands when it's your SB vs his BB than if its your button vs his SB, but the ranges will not differ by much, and the BB can also smoke you out.

If your only question is where to play tighter, the button is the answer. If your question is what should you push with in each situation, that's a lot tougher and is very dependent on your reads and the range that each player will call with in each spot. The blinds are decent but not HUGE yet, so you can't just push any two against non-tight players, but you can push a good amount of stuff. Ax is probably fine from either spot, but keep in mind the image that you give off with the frequency of your steals. Once that second-short stack gets tired of you.... your fold equity plummets.

-Kings