PDA

View Full Version : Credit History and Credit Cards

BottlesOf
04-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi, so I got my free credit report, and while I had a nice score and was rated as excellent, I didn't fall into a high enough percentile for my liking. One rec. they had was to sign up for 1 or 2 major credit cards. (I currently don't have any open, and use my Amex, and ATM/debit cards which don't count).

So, I want to open up one or 2. I get offers all the time in the mail, and am wondering which I should select b/c of good rates (although I plan on paying the balance every month), but more imporatntly good perks, cash back, miles whatever. Anyone know of any good offers? I was thinking maybe Amex Blue. Also, is there a forum that deals with personal finance issues that you know of which may be a good place to hang out a bit?

Thanks

chaas4747
04-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Do a search, this has been posted a bunch.

jba
04-20-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, is there a forum that deals with personal finance issues that you know of which may be a good place to hang out a bit?

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 for credit (http://www.creditboards.com/forums/)

BottlesOf
04-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Doing a search through the tons of insane OOT posts (even a targeted one for "credit" or somehting like that) is not a good use of anyone's time. Ppl, will just see this post and respond with good info, if they happen to have it off the top of their dome, or ignore it, and that's cool with me.

BottlesOf
04-20-2005, 02:27 PM
/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

mistrpug
04-20-2005, 02:31 PM
If you pay it every month, don't worry about rates. That's what I do too. I have the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card, and I get 1% back on all purchases with 5% on grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations.

CORed
04-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Take the offer with the lowest interest rate and no annual fee. Other things being equal, take the one with the best perks, but the perks won't make up for an annual fee or higher interest rates if you end up carrying a balance for some reason. Barring emergencies, you shouldn't carry a balance. Definitely don't carry a balance to buy stuff you don't really need but is nice to have.

tek
04-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Get one with a rakeback (bonus points on purchases).

Randy_Refeld
04-20-2005, 02:56 PM
This site is actually better.

www.artofcredit.com (http://www.artofcredit.com)

If there are any mistakes on your credit report they are very knowledgable about how to collect money from the people who make mistakes (I am up over 1500 this year collecting from people that have incorrectly reported my credit history).

sfer
04-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Just get a Centurian you wannabe like the rest of us, silver spoon sucking trust fund baby.

RunDownHouse
04-20-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm going to second the Citi Dividend Platinum card. Best cash back I've seen. I think the fatwallet forums have the CC scene nailed down pretty well (www.fatwallet.com).