PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Average Stack

mistaken
04-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey Y'all,

I was wondering what you good multi players think about the importance of the average stack.
Do you always try to keep yourselves above average or is it less important than just playing solid poker?
I'm a decent MTT player but in order to get real good, I still need to work on some subtleties... hopefully this post will help. Thanks!

Mistaken

DireWolf
04-20-2005, 01:37 PM
there was a post about this yesterday i think

shaniac
04-20-2005, 01:45 PM
The important factor in a tournament is not stack size but (as with most forms of poker) your ability to adjust to the game factors.

One is never trying to "keep himself above average" but rather to win the tournanment. In order to this, you need to take into account the size of the blinds, the way your opponents play, the time left in the tournament, payout and blind structure and a dozen other factors.

If you're focusing on your stack size relative to the average, you're probably missing something.

Shane

benfranklin
04-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Your stack size relative to the average is of passing interest, but of no immediate tactical importance. More important is your stack size relative to the blinds, and your stack size relative to your opponents in a particular hand. These can (and should) have an impact on your play.

For discussions of stack size, see Sklansky's tournament book, HOH, Ciaffone's NL book, and Miller's new book.

MaGi
04-21-2005, 10:39 PM